1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Fertitta is willing to pay luxury tax...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkim1984, Feb 17, 2018.

1. ballscientist1

Minimum offer sheet for Capela would be

Steve Balmer of Clippers give him 4 years 68 million contracts starting at 20 million first year.

20+18+16+14 =68

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather be best in league in 2018, hopefully in 2019 too. I know you're a time traveler but try to stay in the present once in a while.

dkim1984 likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Larry Nance Jr. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Capela

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

To summarize, LBJ not coming here if we win makes zero sense. He is taking a hit just like we are no matter what he does. Might as well win and be happy. He is only not coming if that was his plan all along or we cannot consummate the trade. I doubt we see him coming here on TP MLE and we are going to be operating above the tax guaranteed.

Do not reply to ballscientist1 troll. Bimathug ballparked it fairly well with LBJ. I would say that max payroll is $150M and tax is first time at around $45M. Fertitta is paying that. If he has Capela, LBJ, Beard, and CP3 on a championship team he is paying for it every year he can get it with depth. He can do that for 3 years before the repeater kicks in. We will have lean years in the future after CP3 and LBJ are gone but the value of our franchise could skyrocket. Thankfully we have Morey around to add pieces to an aging Harden at that point. Nothing is guaranteed but you do make guarantees or you get nothing.

Shark44 and dkim1984 like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

willing? can he even afford to?

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

So in your opinion a team will get 4 first rounders "plus a young player" for Anderson and Gordon?

Lolz.

7. Possum

Possum Member

Speak for yourself. I don’t want that Dbag on this team.

8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I’ve worked for Tilman before at one of his higher end restaurants and let’s just say he’s not cheap BUT he’s also not a stupid spender like Dan Gilbert.
    According to TF, he is willing to spend over the salary cap if it brings him a championship... Problem is championships are never promised in the NBA unless Tony Brothers, Joe Crawford, or Tim Donaghy are officiating those games than maybe something can be worked out.
    Anyways, HOU has Ariza’s, CP3’s, and Capela’s bird rights along with Anderson’s inflated contract and Gordon and PJ’s reasonable contracts on the books for next season, I didn’t mention Harden because he’s not going anywhere.
    We also have LRMM, Gerald Green, Tarik Black, Joe Johnson, and Brandon Wright who will all be FA’s next season and from the looks of it it looks like Green and LRMM may have earned themselves a nice payday for next season which I’m sure they will take and much deserved.
    With that said, you’re left with Nene, Zhou Qi, and Onuaku all with very low salaries that won’t effect the books.
    So if you’re HOU the question becomes, what do you do? Do you trade your shooters in Gordon and Anderson for LBJ? Which leaves you to probably have to trade either PJ or Ariza. Which than doesn’t allow you to resign LRMM for whatever he will probably demand and the same goes for Green. Best case scenario is Wright and Johnson play well for you in the PO and they sign for half the vet minimum each but than your bench becomes old.
    Signing LBJ sounds amazing especially if you can pair him with HARDEN, CP3, and CAPELA. But is it worth loosing your whole bench over? My opinion is that this is what our team would look like after signing LBJ...

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    LeBron James
    PJ Tucker
    Clint Capela
    ....…………............
    Nene
    Joe Johnson
    Wright

This is the team we will have if TF can’t open up the checkbook and bring most of the team back and maybe get rid of 2 guys which will obviously be Anderson and unfortunately Gordon probably. BUT with all that said I think there is something that can be done to keep the whole squad only get rid of Anderson and add LBJ. It would of course take TF to open up that checkbook AGAIN and rumors have it that NBA teams don’t have money to spend this FA summer so Clint could be bad for about 12-15 a year which would be amazing because that would lower TF tax bill.....

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

NO , Reading comprehension FAIL.

They would end up with 4 #1's in exchange for Lebron.

Two directly from the Rockets.

One by shipping EG elsewhere.

One by moving Ryno's expiring contract the following year.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Cp3/harden
    Harden/ariza/green
    Ariza/JJ/luc
    Lebron/tucker/JJ
    Capela/Wright/nene

dkim1984 likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Logic fail.

The idea that you can get a first round pick in a trade involving Ryan Anderson is 100% wrong. Nothing else you say even remotely matters after that point.

roslolian likes this.
  12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think it’d probably look more like 2 of our own 1st +

A) sending Ryno + ego to match salaries

Or

B) sending ego somewhere for a 1st And an expiring player + sending Ryno to another team for an expiring + that 1st you get from Ego.

So 2 HOU 1st + expiring contracts.

Unless ryno’s value significantly changes I think that’s what you’d get for Ryno + ego.

Morey might have to give another asset because not sure if 2 HOU 1st is enough for CLE to take another year of the punishing repeater tax. Maybe if HOU can collect non-guaranteeds to send instead of expirings that way CLE could Just waive the non guaranteed deals.

@dkim1984 in here doing God’s work putting ballscientist is his place. And I agree, when I read the analysis it didn’t make sense because we’re not even TP this season and wouldn’t be subject to the repeater for years.

dkim1984 likes this.
  13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Were you drunk when you wrote this?

dkim1984 likes this.
  14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Damn straight. Owning an NBA franchise isn't wearing a letter jacket. You literally own it. Invest in its success in what you do and say and spend. We've been lucky (except for that McNair douchebag) in Houston when it comes to owners.

15. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Thanks for that super valuable contribution

16. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

That has always been the arg for super teams (bench sacrifices for a god team), but teams have always opted for that if they have the chance. Why? Because talent like that is so rare. For the most part, nba talent seems to hover around a normal curve in terms of talent (at least offensively). But LBJ/CP3/Harden are so rare in their skill that they occupy the smallest of slivers on the super high end of the skills and production spectrum. What I’m saying is, there’s a vast pool of run of the mill talent. That means our bench (as much as i Like them) are expendable, and there will be more willing to take cuts to chase rings from the larger pool of average players. There aren’t those kinds of opportunities at the superstar level.

So you go for the rarest of birds and draw from a large pool of middle of the road talent to replace what you’ve lost. Statistically speaking, you create a team that’s more disparate in talent across its players, but your overall team is that much better from the average team. This provides for so much more play calling flexibility and rest for key players. Plus, DM has got the magic eye for plucking unseen talent.

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

That’s what I’m asking to figure out.

I wanted to know exactly how willing he’d have to be to back that stmt, but I can’t judge that unless I know the overall cost.

18. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

If we win a championship this season, would that increase the likeliness of resigning Chris Paul?

#78 sTeKcOr22, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    dkim1984 likes this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

If you give a mouse a cookie, then he will want a big booty hoe

dkim1984 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , you just earned a trip to the idiot list with that one.

The Cavs are a better team than the Rockets ? Is that why they have 10 fewer wins and 9 more losses in a weaker conference ? Is that why the Rockets beat them by 32 recently ?

Deuce and roslolian like this.