1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the resident fringe left propaganda minister, what else did you expect?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This tweet nailed it.

If seeing those little kids at Sandy Hook didn't move the needle, nothing ever will.

That event was indicative of the Trumpian future as well with radical conspiracy theories aimed at undermining "the left."

No Worries, Xenon, mtbrays and 2 others like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Steve Kerr calls Trump administration’s handling of gun violence ‘disgusting’
    https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/art...063.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

Which fact are you questioning... that the killer was mentally ill? Or that trump made it easier for mentally ill to get guns?

6. NewRoxFan

Who are you calling ignorant... Steve Kerr (who I quoted) who very eloquently voiced the outrage over gun violence? Or those who seem to simply give the 12th shooting at a school this year a handwave?

7. NewRoxFan

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The other sides position is that gun laws wouldn't of stopped Sandy hook. If you think that a massacre of a certain size will change pro gun advocates position then you don't understand their position.

9. NewRoxFan

https://giffords.org/2018/02/wh-budget/

10. NewRoxFan

Yea, that makes sense... arm up people in the school. Heck, arm the teachers else someone shoots up a classroom and the armed guards are off on break. Heck, arm up the kids too, in case the teacher goes postal.

Yea... I am thinking about idiots now...

11. tallanvor

Your response to someone suggesting putting cops in schools is 'yea let's arm children'. Do you think this is a rational response?

Am I to understand you wouldn't want more cops in your kid's school? Personally I want as many cops around as possible. If cops aren't appropriate at school then where are they appropriate and why? This kid was not a student and had been even banned from wearing a backpack when he was there. How far you think he gets with some basic security?

12. NewRoxFan

My wife is a teacher. So yes, her safety as well as my kids and all teachers, staff and especially kids is of the utmost importance. And my daughter played basketball against many schools that had armed guards and metal detectors.

But if the solution you propose is "lets surrender control of gun crime and put police in schools (which btw, many schools already have campus police... so are you suggesting a tenfold increase in campus police?), that is not going to cut it. There have been twelve school shootings already in 2018. It is time the congress and president addresses this problem. Its time to discuss reasonable gun legislation.

EDIT: I stand corrected... 18 school shootings

13. tallanvor

So you do want more cops at schools? Then you agree with doc rocket. As far as 'surrendering control of gun crime', the point of putting cops in schools would be to prevent gun crimes. Exact opposite of surrending. What law are you proposing?

14. NewRoxFan

Misrepresenting what I said? I said adding police to schools won't solve the problem. Nor would arming teachers.

I have suggested these numerous times... national gun registry, standardized gun waiting periods (at least 4 weeks, long enough to adequately check the purchaser and to act as a "cooling off" period. Standardized rules for all gun sales (dealers, gun shows, private party). Limitations on the number of guns purchased in a set period of time. Mandatory gun locks and safes. Mandatory training. These are supported by the majority of Americans and don't take away a gun owner's right.

I would also look at more stringent controls (types of guns, type of rounds, number of rounds) but those would require discussion.

EDIT: Oh, and reversing the change trump did in February 2017... mentally ill people should not be able to purchase guns.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No offense but you don’t know what the F you are talking about. I’m married to a teacher and all my friends are coaches (most of them at least).

There is security at high schools, and most other schools. At least 2 or three at any given time. There are lockdown procedures. Cameras everywhere. You name it.

However there are hundreds of kids to every security officer on campus. There’s virtually no way to cover every inch of the campus all the time. If you think teachers should have guns you don’t know very many teachers. We already ask too much from them to begin with. They aren’t your kids gdamn personal Kevin Costner. Even in a high school as well guarded and as well prepared as my wife’s, I’m always shocked when I come to bring her dinner or for some other reason, how easy it is to get in pretty much anywhere any time. And I’m 35... I can’t pass for a high schooler like this maniac could.

Fact is there are guns and officers on school grounds (and if there aren’t some places they will eventually). It’s still not enough. We have major major problems in this country and it’s a toxic combination of failed masculinity, glorification of violence, and a lack of seriousness from half the country about access to and competence with firearms.

If you are someone that doesn’t want to put in place gun regulation fine, but if you are going to take that stance then you better have some pretty ground breaking alternative ideas because if your answer (like the Republican Party position) is to do nothing, then you are complicit and I hope you can’t sleep at night with that on your conscience. The time for doing nothing has passed. You don’t want to take away semi automatic rifles, and put in place better background checks, come up with something else or you are complicit.

Rashmon and R0ckets03 like this.
  16. Granville

Granville Member

20 years from now..... It's not grenades that kill people it's the crazy guy throwing the grenade that kills people....

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that's so over the top. If a person couldn't sleep at night due to the illegal actions of others that in no way directly affects them then they should seek some professional help.

People who don't want to shred the constitution as a knee jerk reaction to an act of terrorism aren't "complicit", and only a fool would argue otherwise.

The simple truth is that the world is a dangerous place and Humans are the most dangerous animal on the planet. If Humans want to kill, they will kill. You could be in a situation where there were 95 fewer guns per 100 citizens and end up with a much worse murder rate....just ask El Salvador.

Violence is a cultural problem and I would hope that by now we'd realize that prohibition doesn't solve cultural problems.....but that's always the first thing we hear from a certain crowd.

18. hlcc

hlcc Member

No I don’t want more police in schools. Pretty much only the most dangerous and worst governed developing nations regularly have armed police in schools. Cops are most appropriate in police stations, at crime scenes, patrolling their beat etc. It seems like a terrible waste of limited police resources to have cops in every or most schools. 99.999% of time they’d have absolutely nothing to do.

19. NewRoxFan

When the country is looking for leadership...

White House plans to skip press briefing for second consecutive day
    http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...kip-press-briefing-for-second-consecutive-day

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

My bad you are correct but they limit the magazine to 5 rounds only. Which really makes the difference