1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James Could Form the Superteam to End All Superteams in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MystikArkitect

I love how every off season the media tries to will players to the Lakers. Almost every major free agent somehow ends up with the Lakers as a front runner. I’m sure Lebron can’t wait to get to a team with a bunch of kids with no experience and the most annoying man in the history of basketball.

Honestly? Houston has more to offer Lebron than the other way around at this point. He’s left two teams in shambles and is super passive aggressive about how he handles his business. The Rockets were a mess two years back but Harden shut up, kept his head down and just kept putting up numbers. CP had a lot going on in Clipper land, just shut up and did his business. Lebron is always trying to undermine his organization to further himself. He’s fantastic but he is a dangerous investment at 33.

Like the owl said in Bojack “It’s funny. When you look at someone through rose colored glasses all the red flags just look like flags.”

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The LeBron "opt in" is the likely scenario. But that Reddit calculation makes some assumptions of Capela (25M per) and Ariza (12M per) that might be WAY higher than they will get. And will CP3 make some concessions if LeBron comes here.

My guess is CP and Morey have already talked about the financials of this. What concessions will be made depending on what players are added.

I don't see Capela getting 25M per in THIS CAP MARKET as a RESTRICTED FA. I don't think Ariza will get 12M per.

Those are just some starters.

DonKnock, vinsensual, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I'm seeing articles about how FA won't get much this off-season but this a&&hole writes an article where CP3/Bron won't take any discounts and Capela and Ariza are gonna make a ton.

Obviously for Bron to come here CP3 and Bron will have to compromise some financially. I think that is a given. I think CP3 wants to win badly enough to do it too. Not sure about Bron. While he has publicly said he won't take a discount.. we will see when it comes down to it.

I think anybody paying 25% of their cap to Capela is not making a serious contender. It would be a dumb move. Probably makes you too good to get a premium pick but not good enough to challenge the true contenders.

DonKnock and Deuce like this.
  4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

BuT gUiSe! LeBrOn is GOing to LAKER and is TAKinG Cp3 AND PG-13 anD KOBE wITh LONZO!!!!

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just remember this about Morey, an excerpt from the Iggy recruitment ( http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20750344/andre-iguodala-was-verge-leaving-golden-state-warriors )

The two sides carried on with the meeting until newly acquired Rockets point guard Chris Paul stormed into the suite and took over the presentation, multiple sources said. Iguodala, Rosenthal and Cline-Thomas were stunned.

Paul, who had been a Rocket for just four days, raved about the closeness of the team and the transparency within the organization for about 20 minutes. He revealed that the franchise's openness was something he has never experienced in the NBA. Iguodala was captivated.

The Rockets didn't have cap space, so all that was available was their midlevel exception. They offered him a four-year deal worth $32 million. But Morey, a mastermind at maneuvering through the cap, began jotting down -- right there on the conference table -- lucrative sign-and-trade scenarios like a mad scientist, sources said. It was understood that this would be the lone route at persuading Iguodala to join the team.

The meeting lasted almost two hours and was termed as "the best recruiting presentation of all time," according to a source within Iguodala's camp.

Chess.

DonKnock, D-rock, luckyman76 and 8 others like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, that is the narrative out there... LAL already have 54 million committed for next season though... add LBJ at $35 mil and you're already at $89 million with $12 million left for CP3 and PG.... Lets see the "experts" break down on that... because as bad as Anderson's contract is, it's nowhere near as bad as Deng's.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm 100% positive that if Morey, Paul, Harden, and Dream could get in a room with LeBron, they would blow him away with their presentation.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

inb4 they trade Lonzo to dump Deng's contract to the Hawks/Kings/Mavs/Magic/Hornets

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. micah1j

micah1j Member

Can we get @BimaThug thoughts on the reddit post on Lebron opt in? Besides the crazy money he is throwing at everyone. For some reason we become hard capped by trading Tucker. Rockets are already hard capped until July 1. So any opt in trade would have to fit under the hard cap. The hard cap would expire July 1st unless we do a S&T or use the exceptions for next season. Then we would be free to go above the hard cap to re-sign CP3, Ariza, Capela and Luc with Bird rights. Should be able to keep total salary close to 135M. which is where GSW, CLE and OKC are. Lux tax is 28.75m for 15M over the lux tax which is expected to be around 120m.

JayGoogle and D-rock like this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Overall, the analysis if pretty good. But the writer makes some key errors. For one, the "hard cap" does not follow Tucker for the length of his contract. It only applies for the 2017-18 season, so the Rockets will no longer be hard-capped on July 1, 2018 (unless they do something NEW to trigger a hard cap next season). Second, the writer grossly miscalculates the luxury tax bill on the opt-in-and-trade scenario. As in, he/she doubled it. Even with the bloated payroll in his/her example, the tax bill would be closer to $165 million than to the $318 million stated (although that figure would be pretty close to the total bill for salaries plus luxury taxes). Either way, I don't see the payroll being that high.

#470 BimaThug, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  11. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Woj: "LeBron is almost guaranteed to leave Cle".

Seemed pretty obvious to me that he's Hou bond the other night

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

did you just make that wojbomb up? lol can't be posting that on the forum

13. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

DonKnock, D-rock and CCapps like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we gonna bury the warriors and the rest of the league

15. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

No doubt, even tho he'll be 34 next year, Rockets could win 3 in a row

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and do it in style!!

DonKnock and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this coming offseason is going to be this past offseason intensity and anxiety x100

rockets fans are going to have an heart attack waiting to see where Lebron lands, although I do have to say Woj doesn't have any direct insider info on Lebron

18. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

You wouldn’t happen to know about how far into the podcast they started talking about it do you? I know I’m being lazy I just don’t want to listen to the whole podcast.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Question is "when".

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I recommend focusing on this seaon first, it is sure to just as thrilling.

Either way, future (and present) is golden.

hakeem94 likes this.