1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Petty found Unconscious in Cardiac Arrest [Update: Tom Petty has passed away]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Oct 2, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think I want to become a dj called DJ Albums. I walk into the joint and play great albums from the 1st to the last song, then switch albums. I'll get rid of the riffraff and draw in the sophisticates . Thank you Tom Petty for the idea. RIP Uncle Petty.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. MystikArkitect

Onions.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rewatching Peter Bogdanovich's Tom Petty documentary, Running Down a Dream tonight. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's on amazon:

Here's the trailer

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://nyti.ms/2yYuLeB

Tom Petty, Classic Rocker? Sure. And Weird Video Star, Too.
    By WESLEY MORRIS
    OCT. 10, 2017

Tom Petty’s music has always sounded like open desert highway — what even a Martian would recognize as “America,” expressed with both wariness and enthusiasm. But in the early days of MTV, Mr. Petty was the Martian.

Take the video for “You Got Lucky,” an easy jam from 1982: Girl considers dumping boy, boy pulls a “you can’t fire me, I quit.” The rhythm section builds a tight space for some blues guitar, multiple keyboard riffs and Mr. Petty’s drawling snarl: “You got lucky, babe/When I found you.”

I imagine it would have been simple to shoot a basic video for this song — Mr. Petty lip syncing to some model-actress in a kitchen or a laundromat. Instead, they go a different direction. They do “Mad Max,” and Mr. Petty doesn’t lip sync at all. He and his four Heartbreakers roll up to an abandoned desert shack, in dusters and leather, costume-shop hats, sunglasses, scarves and very flattering pants (they’re dressed for the end of the rock ’n’ roll world).

Inside the shack, they discover a wall of televisions and reel-to-reel recorders and guitars all preserved in plastic, awaiting their amusement. The TVs play footage that offers proof that Chuck Berry and his duckwalk existed. So, once, did Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, who, in this version of yesteryear, just did standard-looking rock-band-playing-their-instruments stuff. Eventually, the bassist Howie Epstein slaps a plastic-covered slot machine and pours its coins on the head of the keyboardist Benmont Tench.

This was a break from the usual — for rock acts in general and this one in particular. It was “weird” and conceptual in all the ways Mr. Petty’s music was vividly normal. They were casting themselves as survivors of some pre-video age. I don’t think I actually heard “You Got Lucky” because I had seen it. And it looked stoned.

In the week or so since his death last Monday, Mr. Petty has been memorialized as carrying some kind of classic-rock baton, which came as a surprise to me since all my first encounters with him happened on MTV. That’s a rock-critic distinction. And it makes sense for the purists to lay their claim. Mr. Petty has never sounded out of place in a block crammed with, say, “Stairway to Heaven,” “Hotel California” and “Legs.” But Mr. Petty belonged as much to MTV, alongside Duran Duran and Cyndi Lauper, as he did to the old-guard rigidity of whatever is meant by “classic rock.”

It’s true, there was a classicism to his approach to rock, whether he was on his own, recording with the Heartbreakers or with the Traveling Wilburys, a sort of rock-historical Avengers. But his elasticity and economy (a Tom Petty song rarely made it past the four-minute mark) and the sweet spot it deeply satisfied over and over, were hallmarks of pop.

more at the link

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#107 Commodore, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    mikol13 and jordnnnn like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that he chose touring over his own well-being...and it led to this. I think his fans would have lived if he canceled the tour.

10. Buck Turgidson

Aye.

It's tough to live in serious pain, though, no matter what you do.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw him on one of his last concerts the week before he died. He did seem frail.

But I'm glad I got to see him.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's an insane cocktail of pain killers though.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl are not legal prescription drugs. They are only designer analog drugs made in some lab in China to try and skirt the law.

Given that he had a history of heroin addiction, he probably shouldn't have been prescribed oxycodone or the fentanyl patches in the first place. The prescription probably 'set him off' and and the junkie inside was awakened and decided to give it a little boost by mixing in the other stuff.

Addicts are good about rationalize their drug taking under the guise of taking drugs so they can work more/harder.

14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Great artist, big fan, but it's a soft way of saying he was still feeding his addiction. Doesn't surprise me.

SIL

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a fine guess on your part, but since you didn't know him, his medical history, or the details of his addiction it is nothing more than a guess.

You could well be right but there is no way of really knowing.

It could be a combination of his past addictions combined with actual physical ailments and the medication needed to endure those. It could be that it started with one or the other but both played their role. It could be that his past addictions had nothing to do with it at all.

No matter what it is, it is just sad and no matter which guess is correct, it doesn't really matter.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Ok, fantastic post.

SIL

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

kind of sad. Petty's daughters are suing his second wife for control over Petty's song catalog:

Tom Petty’s daughters filed suit against his widow on Wednesday, as a struggle continues for control of the late singer-songwriter’s catalog.

Adria Petty and Annakim Violette allege that their father’s wife, Dana York Petty, has deprived them of their rightful role in determining how Petty’s works are released. The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, seeks at least $5 million in damages.​

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/16/tom-...594.620508056.1557923131-539746968.1521630870

and

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/02/tom-pettys-widow-in-legal-battle-with-his-daughters/

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If it ain't on paper the daughters aren't going to get very far.

19. MystikArkitect

Same thing happened with Craig Sager. Don’t know the story but always makes me remember Gran Torino.