1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Would do it in a second. I think the marlins would require one of Whitley or bakukas instead of martes. I think martes and tucker might get you realmuto but not both

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston could also take on Chen’s contract to lessen the return. Chen and Realmuto are pretty much a zero sum, so getting those 2 and giving up a 3rd tier prospect like Armenteros would be a good deal for both sides. And you never know, maybe Chen returns to form and can be a good MoR SP over the last 2 years of the deal, when Houston coincidentally will have a need.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Doesn't he have 3 more years guaranteed at $52,000,000 and then a 4th year that can vert at $16,000,000?

I would want more than Realmuto to take on Chen's deal unless the Marlins eat $10,000,000+.

4. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Originally I had Paulino in it and just took him out. I feel like Bour will most likely be traded as well from Miami if they can get prospects from him. McHugh is a waste but I see him more as another trade piece for the Marlins to flip for more prospects at the trade deadline.

I like Yelich a lot. I think everyone here would be happy if Kyle Tucker turned out to be the player Yelich is. If the Astros trade for one of Realmuto or Yelich, then I can see them making the deal without having to include Tucker/Whitley/Bukauskas.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That whole deal revolves around what can be expected out of Chen over the next 3 years. He’s been a decent MoR SP when healthy. But he’s hurt and 32, so who knows. But if Houston reviewed his medicals and cleared him, he could be worth $30M over the remainder of his contract. Realmuto should put up at least 10 WAR over his control, and he’ll only make 1/3 of what that is worth at most, so he probably has ~$50M in surplus value. At least that’s where Chen and Realmuto for Armenteros came from in my head.

6. Houston_Rockets

Say no to Yelich, not because he wouldn't be a great peace to have for years to come, but the package needed to trade for both him and Realmuto would be insane, the deal proposed by Bear_Bryant IMO would make even Jeter lol immediately. People need to understand this, they don't have to trade Yelich or Realmuto, no one has leverage on the Marlins so you will have to pay up and the competition for these 2 guys with so many years of control will be big.

Having said that, if there is one guy out there, I am 100% ok with giving up a guy like Tucker his name is J.T Realmuto. This guy will be a monster at the C position for the next 7 years easy, he's FA in 2021 so he is under control for a few years on the cheap compared to his production, and correct me if am wrong we don't have a Catcher prospect that we can look forward to contribute in the next 2 to 3 years.

Now look, I understand, you do everything possible to not give up Tucker, no doubt I just think Realmuto will command that good of a prospect from other teams, and at that point the question is, is there anybody out there that we can get that is Astro good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The fact that we haven't gone hard after Lucroy makes me believe Lunhow knows something that I am completely missing about the future of our C position

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I personally don't see a reason to make a significant investment in an offensive catcher right now. I would rather just roll with Stassi and see if Stubbs can regain some hitting ability. We can always just put Gattis back out there if necessary. Hell, Stassi has posted a .723 OPS across his various cups of coffee.

Given how much production we are getting out of non hitting positions and how low the offensive standards are for catcher, this would be a natural position to give to a pre-arb player in the effort to save money for other positions.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wouldn't it be fun to have no holes whatsoever in your lineup? Having one of the best offensive weapons for each position? I 'm all in for being greedy and setting your catcher position in the top five production for this dynasty we are creating. I don't ever want to go back to anything that resembles j a son Castro. Tucker is a piece I would be willing to gamble with. I'd sign darvish as well and be done for now. We would be set for at least 3 years even without springer and dk. Do everything you can to sign Correa and altuve and be real contenders for 5-7 years

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that.

If I'm moving Tucker, its needs to be to address the OF hole, where offense is needed. Not the hole at catcher, where even good hitting catchers aren't really all that good. Over the last 2 years the difference between the awesome McCann and the dear god not him Castro is .50 points OPS wise.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Get your point just think we have outfield covered this year platooning Gonzalez and marisnek and feel of will be an easier need to fill either from within or without over the next several years

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Christian Yelich's relationship with the Miami Marlins is "irretrievably broken," and it would be in the best interests of both the outfielder and the organization if the Marlins trade him before the start of spring training, his agent told ESPN on Tuesday.

"They have a plan," agent Joe Longo said. "I respect that plan, but that plan shouldn't include Christian at this point in his career. He's in the middle of the best years of his career, and having him be part of a 100-loss season is not really where [we] want to see him going.

"The relationship between player and team is irretrievably broken. It's soured. He's part of the old ownership regime. The new ownership regime needs to get new parts into this plan and move forward, and he needs to get on with his career where he's got a chance to win. The big issue is him winning and winning now.

"He loves the city of Miami. He loves the fans. He's had nothing but a good experience in South Florida, and he feels sorry where they ended up. But I think having him report [to spring training] and attempting to include him moving forward is going to be uncomfortable for both sides. I don't see how it's going to work."

Several industry sources said Hill has been fielding trade offers on Yelich from throughout the game in recent weeks. The Atlanta Braves, Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks and Philadelphia Phillies are among the clubs that have inquired about Yelich at various points this offseason.

Yelich is a popular trade commodity because of his track record and contract status. He has a .290/.369/.432 career slash line, a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger Award on his résumé through 4½ big league seasons. He also has four years left on a multiyear contract that will pay him a guaranteed $44.5 million through 2021.

Yelich signed his seven-year, $49.57 million contract extension with the Marlins in March 2015 -- a mere four months after Stanton agreed on a record-setting $325 million contract with Miami.

"It was a completely different climate at the time," Longo said. "They were built to win immediately. And that's something Christian wanted to be a part of. The climate there when he signed was to win -- with a long-term vision. It's completely changed now, and I don't see him buying into the new business plan.

"Each of the players [traded] was a good friend of his off the field. He understands this is a business. But with the depth of the talent that was traded off -- he was very shocked and saddened to see these people leave. They gutted the team on the position player side."

Longo said Yelich has been invited to the team's FanFest on Feb. 10 but has yet to decide whether he will attend. He said Yelich might be ready to speak publicly "soon" and share his feelings on the events of this winter.​

No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, do you blame the player for signing a 7 year deal with the wrong club, or the club for deciding it doesn't want to win any longer, or the ML brass for allowing the league to become one where 1/3 of the teams want to lose?

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I would love the Astros to pounce on this and trade for Yelich. Seems to check all the boxes.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Don’t understand all the ppl not willing to give up Tucker for Yelich. Yelich is literally the ceiling we want Tucker to hit, why not get him now. Then put a bunch of additional pieces and ask for Realmuto as well. It I would do a Tucker, Reed and one other for Yelich in a heartbeat. Literally zero weak link besides DH and a little catcher issues. But sign Lucroy and we are ELITe

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We are the champions, so we kind of already are.

As for Yelich, I don't think people would be bothered by a Yelich trade for Tucker. He's a good hitter, he's capable in the field, and he's got some nice controlled years left. He's also young enough to have some possible improvement in him.

As for him being Tucker's ceiling, not really. He's more like a pretty good outcome for Tucker, not his ceiling. Tucker would also be much cheaper over the next 5 years, when we are likely to be turning over couch cushions trying to retain guys. Those would be the arguments against the trade.

I would do the trade, Yelich is exactly the type of guy you trade a prospect of Tuckers caliber for, but it isn't as much of a no brainer as you put it. Tucker could very well be cheaper and better than Yelich in 2 years, and he would be all ours until 2025

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Great post. The 2 open issues he wrote, restated:
    (1) Tucker might be even more valuable to us in 2 years when both the skill need and the low salary need are of higher priority to the team construct
    (2) Tucker could actually be better than Yelich (though I agree w/the general premise that prospect variability makes that scenario less likely...and I realize he could also be worse than Yelich)

I'd still be ok with the trade also. But wouldn't want to give up too much more of value in it. Once you deal Tucker (or Whitley), you need to have more lottery tickets in the system to create a positive outcome when you need it down the line. Tucker and Whitley afford you the luxury of trading many of those because they have a high hit probability

17. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Yelich is a very good player. Any team would be happy with his production. But Luhnow views Tucker as a superstar. Based on their correa and Bregman evaluations I think I would trust their judgement. For what Yelich is I think we can hope and be happy if fisher gets there.

Tucker and Whitley shouldn't be traded for anything short of a superstar.

#3397 SS0101, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

If you wouldn’t be willing to trade Tucker for Yelich then I don’t know what to tell you. Yelich is a GG centerfielder who’s going to give you 20-25 HR’s 80-90 RBI’s a .280-.300 AVG and steal 15-20 bases year in and year out. He’s only 26 and he’s signed through 2022 on an extremely club friendly contract. He is exactly who you hope Tucker becomes if everything goes right. I don’t think I would trade Whitley for him but I would give them Tucker in a heart beat.

#3398 texans1095, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Anyone expecting Tucker to turn out better than Yelich is setting themselves up for disappointment. Yelich is a near-mvp caliber player. Over the last 4 seasons he’s been one of the 30 most valuable position players in the league. If Tucker turns out to be 75% as valuable as Yelich, Luhnow would be happy.

That said, I am one who hesitates to include Tucker in hypothetical Yelich trades, for the following reasons:

Miami wouldn’t trade Tucker for Yelich straight up; if they would, Luhnow makes that trade and I’m all for it. But including Tucker along with 1-2 other valuable prospects makes it much more painful and puts a much bigger dent in Houston’s farm/long term outlook.

Yelich is under control thru 2022. Assuming Tucker gets called up in the 2nd half of 2018, he’d be controlled thru 2024.

Tucker will be cheaper than Yelich.

While Yelich would almost certainly be a meaningful upgrade in LF, the other options are very palatable and come with a much lighter cost. The internal options (Fisher, Marwin, Marisnick) have pretty high ceilings themselves and don’t cost anything extra. The free agent market features guys who have very good resumes who won’t cost more than $10M on a 1yr deal (Granderson just got $5M from Toronto, setting the bar for guys like CarGo, Jay, Gomez, Jackson, Lind, Duda, Morrison, Maybin, Cabrera, and Dyson).

I’d be stoked to add Yelich, and if it costs Tucker but not much else, I’m ok with that. But I much prefer them to focus on adding a long term answer at catcher.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member

Really hope NYY doesn’t add Yelich