1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camping near Houston. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, Jan 3, 2018.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Advice needed!!

I really need a vacation - I'm actually overdue for one - but the wife and I are trying to save money right now. We came up with a compromise: camping. From what I've read, I can get a "camp site" with a water hookup, charcoal grill and an electrical outlet (30 watt, like for an RV) for about $20/night. We already have a tent, lanterns, sleeping bags, a propane burner w/ tank, and a 30W - 20W converter so that we can plug in a device or two, if we want.

The question is... where do we go? To continue with the "save money" theme, I would ideally like to go somewhere within 2 hours of Houston. We have two dogs and would like to take them along (they'd be leashed or on a lead at all times). I'd like to go somewhere with water so that we can do some fishing. Our main objective, though is to do nothing. Play some cards, maybe take a short hike, drink beer, chief a little bit, cook outside, etc.

Has anyone had a particularly good experience somewhere like that? Thanks in advance Clutchfans!

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Carverdale

eric.81 likes this.
  3. eric.81

Thanks, but I would like to get somewhat outside of the city. Staying inside the Beltway kind of defeats the purpose of "getting away."

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Sam Houston National Forest - My go-to for close and easy camping. Close enough to the city for convenience but just far enough where you are "away" from everything. I can send you a google map pin of a great dispersed campsite (no reservation, free but no hookup) I go to on the north side of lake Conroe right on the water. Check out the Kelly's Pond area and Stubblefield, Double Lake and Cagle recreational areas.

Brazos Bend State Park - state park camping that has the George Observatory and a shitload of alligators but is cool. Have to make pay/get a reservation.

Davy Crockett National Forest - a few hours away but nice area.

Martin Dies State Park - Tiny but not crowded. One of the best areas this half of the state for low light pollution/star gazing. Not terrible visually remarkable but the night sky is great.

National Forests are my favorite but I bring a tent. You might have some more luck with state parks because they have better booking systems, campsite/hookup options and bathrooms with showers.

Edit: As Raven mentioned its Double Lake, not Twin Lakes. I have heard great things about this spot.

#4 Bäumer, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    davidio840 and eric.81 like this.
  5. eric.81

Awesome. Thanks @Bäumer!!

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just recently went camping at Double Lake up north of Houston. It was really nice and we had a good time.

Bäumer and eric.81 like this.
  7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cagle is nice as Baumer mentioned. I've camped there before. Nice Piney Woods environment. Have always wanted to camp at Huntsville State Park but it is always very booked.

Lake Texana I also enjoyed and is within a couple of hours south of Houston.

I've been to Brazos Bend but never camped, lots of hiking there though and the observatory is cool .

Only campground out of the handful I've been to that I'd avoid is Stephen F. Austin State Park. That one is pretty lame.

eric.81 likes this.
  8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

9. Buck Turgidson

Buescher State Park. Right next door to Bastrop State Park, was unaffected by the fires. Has a little lake for fishing, good hiking.

McKinney Falls State Park in Smithville is also a good one when the creeks are running well.

eric.81 likes this.
  10. eric.81

Thanks for the great suggestions. Going to look over each of these and see what works best for us. Thanks to all!!

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

2nd on Brazos Bend.

If you don't mind going a bit further west, Palmetto State Park in Luling is small and nice.

Huntsville State Park, too. Great trails, lake to fish/canoe on, large campsites. Just make sure to go before the Pollenocalypse starts. Can bit rough out there in the spring if you have issues with allergies.

eric.81 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. NateNate

NateNate Member

I’ve only been to Brazos Bend and McKinney State Falls. I liked them both but if you plan on smoking or drinking I found that Brazos was a little more stricter. Me and some buddies got caught walking to the RR with beers in hand by a park ranger. They weren’t very fond of that.

eric.81 likes this.
  13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Already mentioned, but I'd try out Pedernales, Huntsville State Park, or Brazos Bend.

Not good this time of year, but late May, Goose Island State Park is pretty fantastic for saltwater fishing. Not sure if it got damaged from the hurricane.

eric.81 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

None of the parks are. That's what coozies are for and why you're supposed to stay relatively discreet with your drinking in State Parks.

eric.81 likes this.
  15. eric.81

I've gotten the impression while viewing the websites for each of these suggestions that alcohol is pretty much prohibited across the board. Looks like we'll be bringing vodka with us and make sure it's in its own canteen. ;)

NateNate likes this.
  16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its about 4.5 hours from houston, but lost maples is worth the drive. (my 2nd favorite place to camp in texas next to big bend).
    there is also hill country state natural area, which is a little less developed than your average state park. that one is right outside of bandera. its my favorite hill country spot if youre car camping. some really cool spots that are isolated.
    enchanted rock is definitely worth the visit, but it can get crowded out there. if you want to camp on the weekend you need to book months in advance. same with pedernales...it gets crowded there now and camp sites book up way in advance.

if you are set on keeping within 2 hours of houston your options are pretty limited compared to central texas...sam houston or davy crockett national forests.

17. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

If you want to booze it up just be semi-discrete. I have NEVER had an issue with alcohol and a ranger. Don't be obvious or obnoxious and you won't have any issues. I've talked to rangers on many occasions with a solid BAC and have never once had an issue. Keep your beers in a coozie, throw your empties in a trash bag, keep your site relatively clean and keep any glass out of site and you will be FINE. They don't care about alcohol unless you are being a douche.

Now be careful if you bring some green stuff. They do not play around.

eric.81 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think you can beat Brazos Bend for a quick camping trip from Houston.

eric.81 likes this.
  19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I went to the ren fest and was amazed how clear the sky was and how I could see the stars. And that's about an hour to 90 minute drive out of Houston. At any of these parks, is the area clear of light pollution?

20. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Kind of a drive but Martin Dies State Park is a great state park. Texas does really well with their state parks program.

Bäumer likes this.