1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pimphand24, Oct 31, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tomato or no tomato, that is the question.

2. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bbZKsxCGP8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Dear Clutchfans,

I am happy to report back that I won 2nd Place using RocketmanTex's chili recipe. The only change I made was to add some tomato paste for color because I had no paprika. Unfortunately the chili was too thick / not liquidy enough due to a mistake of mine. It was getting late in the night so I took the chili off the stove a little early. If I had left it on for another hour, the liquid from the meat would have seeped out and I would have had a great chili. Oh well, it was a good first try.

As promised, I will be making a donation to the tip jar in honor of RocketmanTex.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread.

4. Asian Sensation

Nice job! Does second place get a trophy too? If so... let's see!

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Used your recipe as a blueprint for what I made yesterday. Tasted amazing! Only problem is I've been living in the bathroom all day ha.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That recipe sounds delicious.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Congrats, man. It is an excellent chili recipe.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You da man! Congrats!!

9. Asian Sensation

Bump.

Fall weather change and football season calls for a nice hearty meal like Chili. I was never really a fan of Chili but I ordered some from **gasp** Wendy's the other day (Yea I know I know). Anyways, I thought it was surprisignly decent and figured I'd try making my own. Who knows maybe ill even get crazy and pour some over a wiener.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

My former Pastor makes incredible Chili. He took a sabbatical and went to a culinary school. Here's his recipe:

8 servings

1 lb. Stew Beef cut into bite size pieces
    1 bottle Dark Beer - something with body
    Seasoning mixture ratio 1 part Chili Powder 1 part Sugar ½ part Creole seasoning you need enough to coat the beef before browning
    Olive oil
    Beef stock
    1 Onion - chopped
    1 ¾ lbs. canned Diced tomatoes with juice
    Pablano peppers - roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Let the beef marinate in the beer overnight
    Drain beef, pat dry and coat with seasoning mixture
    Brown beef in olive oil and put in crock pot or roaster
    Deglaze pan with beef stock scraping up all the "brown bits" and pour over beef- you'll need a pan without a non-stick surface
    Sauté onion in olive oil until soft - add to beef
    Add tomatoes and pepper stir
    Cook covered on low heat a long time stirring occasionally

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Personally hate tomatoes in chili. The sauce add sourness I don't care for, and I'm also not a fan of the slimy texture of soggy tomato chunks.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Tomatoes as an INGREDIENT is fine, as long as it is not big chunks - I am with you on that for sure. I can tolerate beans sooner than massive slimy chunks of tomato. Yuk.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's National Chili Day, y'all! Wanted to find this thread for a good recipe. Last couple times I've made it, I took the lazy route and used Wick Fowler's...which is ok but I'm just not getting the full flavor I think it should be.

Oh...no f***ing beans.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Note that this thread has a link to a better thread for recipes. This thread is 2011. Obviously, the bbs discussed chili way before that.

This link is to a 2004 thread...which is a must read.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=82565

15. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I absolutely LOVE Texas Roadhouse chili....Until I ate at a Texas Roadhouse in Reno and they used beans.

What did I learn? Don't order chili from Roadhouse in Reno.

16. Buck Turgidson

per 2 lbs meat (*course ground only*, I use 2/3 venison or 85% lean beef & 1/3 pork)

Dutch oven
    food processor (coffee grinder will also work, you may have to use it in batches. Clean out by chopping up cubes of staleish white bread)

2 cups liquid (any combination of water/beer/broth, I use Shiner Black and beef or chicken broth)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    6 dried ancho chiles and 2 dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into 1" pieces
    1/4 c crushed tortilla chips
    2 T cumin seeds
    1 T coriander seeds
    1 T each: paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano
    1 t fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 t dried thyme
    2 T bacon grease or veg oil or lard
    1 onion, chopped fine
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 T canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced
    1 can (14.5 oz) tomato puree
    2 t sugar
    2 T cider vinegar

Heat oven to 275 with rack in lower middle. Toss meat with 2 T water, 1 t salt and baking soda and set aside for 30 mins. Baking soda changes the ph of the meat, makes it retain moisture better and brown more evenly.

Heat dutch oven on med-hi heat, add dried chiles and toast about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, lower heat if they start to smoke. Remove and let cool (makes them crisp up a bit). Add cumin/coriander seeds, toast until fragrant.

Add tortilla chips, toasted chiles and seeds, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme & black pepper to food processor and grind until fine.

Heat oil/lard/grease in dutch oven. Cook onion until softened, add garlic & cook 1 minute. Add meat and cook until browned & fond (black sticky bits) begins to form on bottom of pot (12-15 mins). Add ancho mixture and chipotles in adobo, mix well and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes.

Add 2 cups liquid, sugar, and tomato puree, bring to a boil, scrape bottom of pot to loosen browned bits, stir, cover & transfer to oven for 1.5 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 mins to prevent sticking.

Remove from oven, let stand uncovered for 10 mins. Add vinegar and salt to taste, stir. Do not skim off any fat, most spices are fat soluble, so that little orange slick is pure flavor.

Garnish with whatever you want: cheddar/jack/whatever cheese, diced onion, serranos, avocado, lime juice, cilantro.

Serve with whatever you want: beans, rice, cornbread, tamales, crackers

17. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Just thought I would also share one I made a few months ago that everyone raved about. I did 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb of cubed steak instead of 2 lbs of ground beef. Nice and easy to make, definitely not "advanced" but very good. I need to try some of these other ones on here.

Touchdown Chili

Ingredients
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/3 cup chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers, drained

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco(TM))
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Directions
    Place the ground beef, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring to crumble the beef, until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Drain off the fat and return the pan to the stove. Combine the chili powder, cumin and basil; sprinkle over the beef. Cook and stir to coat the meat and toast the spices a little.
    Pour in the tomatoes, green chilies, tomato sauce, beer and vinegar. Bring to a boil and stir to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Mix in the brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours. Remove the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/114414/touchdown-chili/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=8

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Decided to mix a couple of recipies that I've come across and went with roughly this...

1 lb ground beef
    1 lb of cubed steak
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
    1 (15 ounce) can mild Rotel
    1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (St. Arnold's Santo)
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Saute meat, onions, green peppers and garlic until done.
    Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours

Should be done in a few minutes. First few taste tests have been very successful so far.

[edit] It was awesome.

#78 leroy, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Time to revisit this with the cold. Anyone got a new recipe they stand by?

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Surprised I didn't post in this, although I was banned several times...

Anyhoo, I've always used LBJ's Pedernales Red recipe. He actually served this at functions during his Presidency. (I typically use ground chuck.)

[​IMG]