1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to sign Lebron in 2018 – salary cap discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

All of this is already under the scenario of Lebron deciding to leave. Gilbert can try to persuade him to stay, but when that doesn’t work why would he refuse to facilitate a S&T and get nothing for him even tho he did so in the past? Lebron came back and gave them a championship. Back in 2010, he told them on national TV that he was leaving and Gilbert was out there writing a letter which was meant to attack him and basically call him a quitter. He still did the S&T. If Lebron says he’s leaving, I don’t see how it’s less likely that Gilbert would agree to facilitate a S&T.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope you are right, I'm all for Lebron, Harden and Paul on the Rockets. I just hope we won't be gutted in the process.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like your scenario OP of resigning Ariza with others.

With one exception. I would like to keep Tucker who is under contract next season.

I don’t feel the Rockets need all of: Ariza/Jeff Green/Luc MaM/Frye/Troy Williams with Tucker & LeBron.
    Frye would be my odd man out. Not signed.

Gordon/Ryan Anderson/Chinanu- traded
    Bobby Brown—walks

Neither LeBron nor CP3 will play on extended contracts. They will go one year with a player option on a 2nd year.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Highly doubt Capela or Ariza get dealt for Lebron. They'll be free agents who would need to agree to a S&T. That would also impose a hard cap on CLE (just as the Rockets would be hard-capped if they acquired Lebron via S&T).

As I said the other day on Twitter, WHILE ANY PATH TO LEBRON IS UNLIKELY, the most plausible route to Lebron is that he opts in this June (a la CP3) and forces a trade to Houston, with the Rockets dealing Gordon (plus more) to the Cavs and dealing Anderson plus at least one first rounder to a third team.

Deuce, saleem and Mathloom like this.
  6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Agree 100% on this. Someone else posted the idea of CP3 signing a 1yr min deal and then reupping on a 4 or 5 year max the following year with Bird rights. Isn't that forbidden by the CBA?

saleem likes this.
  7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Buy out all those unused bench players, does it enough?

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly, with the way this team is playing, I wonder if we're better off swapping Ryno for Love in the summer (what would that cost? 2 first rounders?). That bump in rebounding would make a hell of a difference on this team and we would utilize Love a lot better than they do. We'd keep this team intact and be sufficiently armed to compete with the Warriors.

9. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I keep reading "trade player x for no salary in return". Ive always thought teams had to match salaries in a trade. Unless this is referring to non-guaranteed deals, in which case I feel it would be tough to find $30 million in non-guaranteed contracts. No?

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

You can trade a player for no salary in return if the acquiring team is under the salary cap after the trade or has a trade exception because they are being traded into space. If not salary matching rules apply.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

LOL at resigning Ariza to $12 million dollar deal. If he is looking for that type of money, he will not be getting it in Houston.

This team is amazing, and if they go really far this year, I do not know if i gut them to make a move for Lebron James. I know how ridiculous that sounds but hear me out.

Gordon is the small head to this 3 headed snake. I think he is VERY VERY important part of this team and losing him will result in a major drop off when it comes to bench production. I put Gordon as a untouchable.

Ryan Anderson and Capella (sign and trade) seems like the better option to send off and trade for Lebron. I would be willing to do that deal everyday and twice on Sunday.

I think the days of pay cuts are here for the banana boat crew as they come together to form the super team needed to beat GS, that is a chip that will prove valuable for the Rockets.

MLE and BLE can be used for Ariza and Luc to resign.

The trade chips going out should be Capella and Anderson. All the FAs should be renounced, and then Ariza and Luc should be resigned.

Houston will be a ring chaser destination and it wont be a problem getting Vets on Min deals.

JUST DONT TRADE GORDON!

What a time to be a Rockets fan.

D-rock likes this.
  12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I'm only willing to lose Anderson and Tucker (Black for salary matching purposes) for Lebron. Call me crazy, I probably am. hahaha Since they probably won't need Anderson, we would send him to another team for assets that they could want. I think if Anderson keeps playing the way he is, some team trying to imitate us or the GSW will see him as an asset to add and be willing to give reasonable assets verses expecting 1st rounders for them to take him off our hands.

But I like this team a lot. Let's see what happens in the playoffs and then we can all make better decisions.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Are we sure Tilman will pay not just the luxury tax, but a super high repeater tax.

You looking at hundreds of million dollars in possible cumulative penalties.

14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I would love to do that but you are dependent on the Cavs doing a CP3 trade. There has to be something worth their while. Some other team is getting Anderson and a pick. We are having to give them something and a pick. Don't they just take the cap space and tell us to f off if it is Tucker, Black, and a pick. I think EGo is the price of admission. That sacrifice allows us to keep everybody else. Maybe they value Tucker and a pick. If you can sell it I'm buying. I think DWade becomes your EGo along with Korver in the deal.

Ryno, EGo for LBJ, Wade, Korver - you do that deal as fast as you can.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Can't trade Capela. Who replaces him? EGo is great but likely the price of the CP3 trade from the Cavs. Anderson and Capela only go for Boogie and that's not happening now. Ryno is gutting the team now by taking up $20M in cap space. EGo while painful is replaceable with DWade and Korver and LBJ. EGo's production is still great but he was #2 last year and now #3. I would like him at #4 but with the drop off there what do you think is going to happen with a team of JH, CP3, and LBJ. Two HOF on court at all times. He will slip even further. This trade preserves the bench. Ariza will resign with us but not $12M. He is going to want security to finish out the string with the team. Probably the same deal he has. We'd be stupid not to let him retire a Rocket. He's earned it. Same with Nene.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.