1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it was already halted at least once shortly after trading opened.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Not sure why. There’s been great action in the stock market this year.

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

This is exotic, spontaneous and very little technicals can apply to this. It's straight madness.

SIL

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It's beautiful really. Spaceship hunting.

Wapzoe likes this.
  5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Any tips on investing in ICOs?

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's a complete lottery and you can also lose your investment if it turns out to be a scam.
    Be extremely careful and don't rely on a one-sided source of information.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

https://www.coindesk.com/deutsche-bank-blockchain-opportunities-huge/

Blockchain technology could represent a major shift in how companies conduct their business, according to Deutsche Bank's chief investment officer.

In a slide presentation this month, Christian Nolting, also the bank’s global head of wealth, and Marcus Muller, global head of the CIO office, explained how digital currencies and blockchains work and predicted where they would go in the future.

According to the presentation, the “opportunities associated with blockchain technologies are huge,” and could be fully put into practice within the next few years.

The bankers predicted that roughly 10% of the global gross domestic product (GDP) would be tracked or otherwise "regulated" by a blockchain by 2027.

The presentation said:
    “We expect that the blockchain will change the business model of companies in a sustained way. The blockchain technology enables a faster and cheaper exchange of assets and financial products between individuals without an [intermediary], which reduces the asymmetry of information between the individuals.”

Good sh**.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Any tips on how to spot the scams and the real projects?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Very difficult, a good way is reading the whitepaper (some don't even have one or it is completely devoid of technical aspects, huge red flag), looking at the dev team, management and investors. Often there's a github community involved which will tell you how active development is.

I personally don't invest in ICOs and stick to safe plays.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  10. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Yeah its the biggest gamble out there.. Even if they aren't scams, the chance that the coin gains traction in the market is fairly slim. Invest in ICO's because you believe in what they are trying to do, their tech and vision. Otherwise stick to the established coins.

Having said that i just went 1 Eth in on Spectre and am about to do the same with Trade.io (which is still open if you are interested in investing in an ICO)

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm not looking too much into traditional stocks, but I guess you almost never have the potential for such ridiculous short-term/mid-term gains there.
    The crypto market has people dreaming of becoming wealthy with less effort, so it's understandable that more and more people jump into this instead of stocks.

I boredly followed stocks for a bit and you'll see the "big winners" of the day winning like 2% and people are euphorical, while 2% is nothing in crypto and can be accomplished in seconds.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Should have gotten more Lc when I️ had the chance.. more than doubled for me :)

13. AB423

AB423 Member

Same here, tried to buy it the other week when it was at $75 but it said it could not process my transaction at the time fml

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Understand the difference between an ITO and ICO. Even though everyone refers ITO's as ICO's, there is a pretty big difference.

Most offering run on the Etherium chain which makes initial investing problematic. The network tends to get congested and you lose out.

This is a list of coins https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/
    This is a list of tokens https://coinmarketcap.com/tokens/

If the ICO you're looking to invest in is based on the Ethereum chain, its a token ... and as you can see, tokens do not do well long term.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not surprised by things like these, I've been very vocal when it comes to Ether and stressed how much of a sh** show that platform is.
    People who've invested in ETH should be really careful and always check for news, this thing could implode at any moment when sh** hits the fan. ETH is pretty much the definition of hype with no foundation.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Kicking myself every minute for not buying LTC on Thursday for $99.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You're always smarter in hindsight, but it was better to wait for how the futures launch would influence the market.
    Remember that crypto is volatile as f***, so you'll have plenty of chances to make up for past mistakes. But also more chances to f*** up. :p

DudeWah likes this.
  19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Well that's not comforting to read for me. There was a post not too recently in here saying it could go way up.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I did a couple of posts on ETH here, you can check them out.
    In my opinion, it will do good short-term or middle-term (aka one or two years) because of first-mover advantage, name recognition and politics, but it is a disastrous product atm with severe issues that are barely addressed.

If those issues don't get sorted out, it will completely implode and go to zero, so everyone here has to look at this thing constantly to check for potential disaster news that lead to ETH being dumped to shreds within a short time-frame.

sammy likes this.