1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey said peak CP3 is the best PG of all time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KiwiRoxFan, Dec 4, 2017.

1. hakeemthagreat

Not only that, they did it in a era ALOT tougher. Remember the game back then was alot more physical. Defenders could handcheck and got away with more pushing and shoving. The NBA decided at some point to make the game less physical, and a more free flowing scoring exhibit. So the individual numbers we see guys get this era are more due to the NBA's rule changes. Had those rules been implemented back then, Magic would've averaged 28pts, 13rebs & 13assist every season. The game now is purposely made for high scoring

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

lbs for lbs, peak CP3 is the best PG ever

:)

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well in terms of box score his numbers came down. They were still great but not quite as great as regular season. I think he is one of the greatest of all time, just not quite as good as Duncan

Kevin Garnett '99-'12 (14 seasons): 24.4 PER, .207 WS/48, +6.5 BPM, 111 ORtg/98 DRtg (+13) in 36.7 mpg.

KG in playoffs: 21.8 PER, .160 WS/48, +5.0 BPM, 105 ORtg/98 DRtg (+7) in 38.5 mpg

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it can be debated, essentially for his pedigree as one of the greatest defenders of all time, the range on his jumper, and his ability to handle the ball. I'd love to see KG in San Antonio with Pop for 20 years is all I'm saying. I think it is fairly close between the two.

5. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

when people ask me this I often ask.......

Could Magic play point guard in this era..... And for as great as I believe him to be.... I gotta say no....

now I know for sure Cp3 could play in that era.....

6. valorita

valorita Member

There's a player by the name of Ben Simmons who is Magic 2.0 and he seems to be doing fine even as a rookie.

Great players are likely gr

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Uh, if Lebron, Ben Simmons, and Greek Freak can play PG, why wouldn't Magic. I know Lebron isn't labeled PG, but he is the PG for the Cavs when the game is on the line.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree 1000%. In fact, Magic is the GOAT in my book.

I do love the initial list, though. The four other picks are mine as well and give Hakeem the proper respect he deserves. He was insanely good and the GOAT Center. I also think he would play well in today's NBA.

Richie_Rich, CCity Zero and csj like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why, cause three pointers?

You do realize Ben Simmons has stopped shooting 3-ptrs and will win ROY this year as a 6'10 point guard. Magic as a rookie was much better than Simmons.

They both are phenomenal finishers (moreso Magic, imo, because he's also the superior dribbler), so you can't back up against them, as they can just take that space and torture you with layups and interior passing if you double them.

10. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

because of the rules.... his biggest plus on defense would be his size.... well that's negated because he would be able to hand check so who would he guard.....

plus with the size of point guards are in this era he would barely have that edge....

I see people saying Simmons and Greek freak and LeBron but lets be honest... Magic was even in the same stratosphere as these guys athletically.....

like I said. I love magic and I loved his style of play but in this era he'd be a point forward not a full time pg.....

He'd be Kyle Anderson but obviously and version on super steroids lol

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Haha. People used to do that with Iverson.

12. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

:)

I know I know - Magic could do anything - walk on water, heal paralytics, cast demons ... and he left NBA for our sins ... but he couldn't assist without massive number of turnovers, couldn't play good defense and couldn't shoot on proper efficiency from any range. That's way he's not the real NBA PG Messiah.

Morey had reasons to peak CP3.

#52 Robert Kogut, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

What an absolute joke. Paint your face clown.

14. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

I didn't want to insult anyone but it's true - players are better, bigger stronger - true for any sport, not only NBA - chess, poker, boxing etc.

Listen what Mike Tyson said :

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

When it comes to basketball, he was about as close to Black Jesus as it gets.

So yes, in basketball terms he walked on water, turned water to wine, made the blind see, etc. He was truly that remarkable and he changed the game as much as anyone did, ever.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Players are certainly getting better.

But show me one NBA player today that can be an Olympic level high jumper, while benching pressing 500lbs, while leading the NBA in APG?

Show me one Center that has mastered the unstoppable sky-hook like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, leading the history of the NBA in scoring. Why has no one been better since?

Point me to ONE player that has quicker, more deft footwork than Hakeem Olajuwon.

Show me someone that can palm the ball and float through the air like Julius Erving, or Michael Jordan.

Show me a player with better anticipation than Larry Bird.

I'll be waiting.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Magic could play PG, no problem. There are plenty of big players playing point in the game today.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Magic is a great passer and great player in his era, but CP3 is far more skilled across the board - better ballhandler(far less turnovers), better defender(one of the best PG defenders of all time), better shooter, etc. Magic could do some things CP couldn't because of his size(rebounding is one) but CP is a better player who unfortunately played with lesser talent in a deeper league than Magic had. Magic had some crazy stat lines in his heyday, but also earned the nickname Tragic because of his poor defense. Props to Magic for being a leader on one of the most successful teams of all time but the "he has more rings" argument doesn't make sense because if that were true, Robert Horry(7 rings) would be a better player than Scottie Pippen(6 rings) and we KNOW that isn't true.

19. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

Since you admitted players are getting better you have to realize those Titans like Magic, Wilt, Erving etc were playing against weaker opponents.
    What would happen if for example Andre Drummond played as he is today against college players ? How dominant he would be?

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not to mention, past athletes would have the same training/nutritional advantages of today, if they played today.

Richie_Rich, Caesar and RudyTBag like this.