1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Right Wing Advocates Fail at Duping The Washington Post

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wonder if Trump will tweet about this story. He is obsessed with calling out fake news with no substantiated proof

Yung-T likes this.
  3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

There's an audio and video recording of this counter sting. So much cringe! Oh my god... Lol

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Freaking pathetic. Pretending to be a victim of rape to get a rise out of reporters and play some kind of gotcha game. Just revolting.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"Did you call the corporate office" reminds me of "that was the local chapter, this is the national one" from those policeman's union donation scams a while back.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is veritable a non profit? They are despicable.

DD

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump foundation will probably donate another 10k for a good attempt. The garbage of human are very deserving of Trump support.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Slimey attempt to discredit Moore’s accusers. Pathetic.

Sweet Lou 4 2, da_juice and Deckard like this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I’m sure Fox News will get the word out on this story.

da_juice, Deckard, Indaface and 3 others like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wonder if O'Keefe was also the one behind the robocalls looking for Moore accusers. Same theme.

Deckard likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

Lol im sure this thread will only be a page long and be completely avoided by our resident right wingers

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good for them doing their homework, other less reputable news outlets might have just run with it. I honestly don't have any problem with people feeding news outlets bogint to see if they are thirsty enough to not do their homework and run with the BS because it should lead to more journalistic integrity in the long run.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This stuff has been going on for a long time, in my opinion. Kudos to the Post for exposing it. I don't doubt for a second that there are more despicable scams like this that will be uncovered, given time. A deliberate attempt to defraud not only this highly respected news outlet, but at defrauding the American people. "Fake news?" This is a perfect example of what our country has been besieged with. What the Russians did, and continue to do, both here and around the world, is far from the only source attempting to peddle lies to the public in an effort to belittle and discredit respected news sources. Mr. trump's attacks, on multiple fronts, against news organizations like CNN plays perfectly into this effort. I find it hard to believe that they aren't in concert.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Except the goal here wasn't to expose bad journalism. That has merit, and if one is serious about it they'll will go after bad journalism irrespective of political leanings.

The goal here, very obviously, was to discredit Moore's accusers.

Nook, krnxsnoopy and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Agreed in theory. But people who have questioned the validity of the Washington Posts stories about Roy Moore should now come forward and admit they may have been wrong.

krnxsnoopy and Deckard like this.
  17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because it is hard to prove they are really a political organization.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Imagine if data security companies operated this way. Instead of hacking into computer systems and then telling the company where they have security weaknesses, they just hacked the computer systems and then published all the customers' nonpublic information. That way, companies will be more vigilant about data security. O'Keefe is the journalism equivalent of a hacker. It's good that the WaPo is vigilant because there are bad people out there, but it doesn't make bad people good just because their existence drives vigilance.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that can be said 100%, but even assuming that to be the case, it doesn't really matter because no news outlet with the most basic integrity has anything to worry about people trying to feed them bogint no matter what their intentions. If anything, it strengthens their image when they catch people trying to trick them.

It certainly strengthens their case that they are a legitimate new outlet that does their homework and doesn't go around just printing every rumor that comes across their desk.

It's a bit different because it is in the public interest to know if the papers are doing the right thing and in your example, the protection of their data is in the company's best interest. I look at it as similar to tests that are done on airport security where people actually try to take weapons on a plane to ensure the security is sufficient, they then release the results to the public. Now of course it's a bit different given that you have to do inherently illegal things to test airport security so it can only be done by official sources, but it's essentially the same thing.

Also, as I said above, news outlets that do the most basic vetting of stories before running with them have nothing to fear from people doing this kind of thing. It's only disreputable news outlets that could get caught up in this....and I think the public should hear about it no matter who gets caught. If anything, the fear of getting caught in one of these traps should lead to better journalism.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Mental gymnastics per usual. It's amazing how you many ways you try to polish a turd into something it isn't.

O'Keefe wanted a soundbite of the Post showing a bias and the "goal" of taking Moore down.

He was hardly testing the integrity of the reporting process for "public good"; as is in your example of TSA screening.

If anything, O'Keefe had his own bias and agenda, not the Washington Post (as he tried to prove).

He wanted to discredit the Washington Post- thereby discrediting the Moore accusers. NOT THE SAME as your example.

PATHETIC!