1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gurriel caught being racist to Yu Darvish

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRealist137, Oct 27, 2017.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I just wanted to let you know that slavery has and still does exist outside of the U.S. In an even more shocking development it isn't always carried out by white people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What does that have to do with my post?

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lmao the only thing I care about this whole thing is wondering how much it hurts our chances at Otani. Especially considering Otani has said that Darvish is his idol

4. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

He's going to new york anyway

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

You used slavery in the us as a comparison

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm saying that black people in America resent white people in America due to the centuries of atrocities that the white ancestors committed against black ancestors, which, isn't limited to slavery. Actually my whole post, I did not mention slavery once. Meaning white people don't get the benefit of the doubt like they want to. My comparison is that Darvish gave Gurriel the benefit of the doubt in terms of it being a stupid joke with no malicious intent. Whereas American black people, in a charged political environment and given the historical subjugation of their people in America at the hands of the white population, don't really care to give people benefits of the doubt.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Yeah I know. Not really sure why I responded with that, but I get kinda triggered every time someone brings up race relations. The times we live in I guess, where everything you do is either racist, sexist, ageist, homophobic, anti-LGBT, anti-pansexual... or if it doesn't fit one of the trillions of criteria then you are just simply a bigot.

8. rockpileindisma

White demons!!

9. rockpileindisma

What better opportunity to **** on white people than an offensive gesture from a Cuban to an Asain ayeeeeee what a time to be alive

smitheygerard likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're right, it gets real old. A lot of the people speaking the loudest have no idea over things beyond their choice or control. It's a real stretch for them to put themselves in the shoes of the targeted, so they strain with unwieldly comparisons of their own history of discrimination. Not even remotely the same, but let's take the high road in not measuring each other's struggles...

I'm mostly glad the Astros won the World Series and didn't have to feel like a Houston team was robbed for once.

I'm also appalled but not surprised. Sports ball makes otherwise reasonable people deliriously one-sided.

I also think Darvish and Roberts strained hard not to inject race into the WS, and I commend them for it. Maybe I'm just tired about the topic, but baseball isn't going to change the world. Only more Darvishes and more players of the future minority demographics will have some impact on it.

dmoneybangbang and CometsWin like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why haven't we gotten this D&D garbage out of this forum.

YOLO and King1 like this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cubans are mostly white.

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

So ignorant... lol

Just bc many are "white" I guarantee you they don't identify as "white people"

They're hispanic.

14. CometsWin

Yes, they're Hispanic and white. Hispanic is a heritage and ethnicity while white is a race. You can be both.

Yeah, SO ignorant.

How do you "identify" as white people anyway? What is the criteria? Explain that one.

15. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Think about it like this:

If a "white cuban" was filling out a form and they had to choose between "white" and "latino/hispanic" what do you think they would choose?

And yes, so ignorant. Are you hispanic? Do you even know any hispanics? Are you married to one?

Anyway I realize you can be white and hispanic. I clearly stated that, but what you said was kinda pointless and annoying. #whitedemons

16. CometsWin

Yes, I'm Hispanic. I don't know how old you are, maybe you're like 14 so you don't have to fill out legal forms but there are typically two questions. One for race and one for ethnicity. Maybe when you're all grown up you'll figure out what you're talking about.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Based on the Cubans I know? Unless they have afro type hair they are putting white. Cubans are some of the most self absorbed people I've ever met. They are very into the idea that white cubans are better than afro cubans. They are strange breed of arrogant.

CometsWin likes this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

How is this thread still alive?

lnchan likes this.
  19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Sure I'm 14.

Anyway to stay with the topic of the thread I don't see how this is still a topic of conversation nor do I see how it is relevant that 61% of cubans are racially "white."

I'm not going to continue this back and forth nonsense with you. Go back to the D&D where you belong. Good riddance.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Can we get Clutch to lock this thread... like now?

King1 likes this.