1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running bet, when will the Thunder "figure it out"?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Nov 20, 2017.

?

When will the Thunder "figure it out"?

1. December 2017

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. January 2018

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. February 2018

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. March 2018

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. April 2018

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. May 2018

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. June 2018

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. July 2018

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. Maybe not for another couple of years

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Never, like never ever. Like Melo demands another trade and PG13 becomes a Laker.

37 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Easy question, everyone says the Thunder will "figure it out" but when do you think that will be?

I might have had a little fun with the poll, but I'm semi serious here.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo has played his ISO style for over a decade. PG likes to pound the rock too. Russ has a low BBIQ. Donovan’s offense leaves a lot to be desired.

I’m starting to think they might not ever really figure it out. Good defensive teams won’t find it that hard to guard them.

Zach Lowe said that GS doesn’t fear Russ at all because of his style of play. Melo is always inefficient and loves the contested midrange jumper. PG isn’t as good offensively as he thinks he is.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

they have a lot of fire power, they will just end up figuring out how to score whether or not they figure it out

I try to avoid that team in the playoffs

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

It sounds like to me, that team has a ton of hubris to overcome. I still think if Donovan implemented an MDAlite style offense it could work. Ball movement, always take the first best shot, ban the midrange, and maybe stagger the three guys. Defensively speaking, that could be a lockdown team, but they sort of just lack an identity. If one or two of those guys back down from the way they used to do things, this team could just click at any moment. They have a 4 part problem here.

Edit: I was also hella wrong about MDA. I'm still cooking crow nightly for the things I said about him.

whiskeyred, ghettocheeze and da_juice like this.
  5. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

To a certain extent I think everyone does. If they start winning, that makes the west tighter. If they continue to be mediocre, the schadenfreude felt by the entire league will be tremendous. But I do get your point here, we all are Rockets fans.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am excited for when the Rockets get to play the Thunder.

Free flowing offensive mastery over the Thunder. They will not be able to keep up with that offensive stagnation.

BigShasta and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. beardsanity713

I think theyll get it together some what after the all star break they have way to much talent on that team to be so mediocre rn...
    Personally I think PG 13 doesn't fit I think they'd have a more balanced roster and starting 5 with oladipo instead of PG waiting his turn to run pick n rolls

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does trading PG or Melo at the deadline count as figuring it out?

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Westbrook and Melo aren't going to change who they are overnight, and because of that, Paul George will continue to be a JAG. The difference between the Rockets and the Thunder is that the Rockets have 2 superstars who WILLINGLY give up the ball so others can shine.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

the problem is that I don’t see Donovan installing some offense based on a lot of ball movement, especially 15 games into the season...OKC was last in passes per game his 1st 2 seasons there, and this year they’re last again

banning the midrange is pretty much impossible when your Big 3 is Russ, Melo, and PG...they LOVE that shot, especially Melo

he already tries to make sure that at least 1 of them is on the court at all times

I don’t see these guys changing their habits in any major way which is why I don’t think they’ll ever really figure it out...I do expect them to play better based on talent alone, and their defense is legit

all 3 of them aren’t that efficient, but they take the majority of the shots...that will be a problem for them all season IMO

Westbrook’s TS% is 49% which is pathetic, Melo is at 54% which is a little below average, and PG is at 56% which is a little above average

Ottomaton likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

they'll figure it out in january that they have no chance but to tank.

BigShasta likes this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They will figure it out when Westbrook leaves the team.

14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the league will intervene and guarentee them a place in the 2nd round of the playoffs

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I voted december because they seem to be on the right track lately but my definition of them “figuring it out” means them ending up with the 4th or 5th seed.

I doubt they will become a true west contender like the warriors, rockets, or spurs (with a healthy kawhi)

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By "figure it out" do you mean figure out that they need to trade away Melo and George and tank the rest of the season?

BigShasta likes this.
  17. valorita

valorita Member

I think we dodged a bullet in Melo.

If the OKC had Ryan Anderson instead of Anthony, they would be an infinitely better team.

Patience likes this.
  18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Last option, but Melo opts out not demands trade.

SIL

19. touring_low

touring_low Member

Blew a 19pt lead tonight and all I see on Twitter is NBA jock riding Westbrook cuz of his triple double smh.

The Greyhound 33 likes this.
  20. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

When are we going to talk about how Morey dodged another bullet? If that Melo trade goes thru, the Rockets aren't as good right now, and the Thunder are probably a better team.