1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enjoy the best Defensive player to wear a Rockets jersey since Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We will be watching the best defensive player to play as a Rocket since Hakeem:

Chris Paul.

I had always hated this punk before we got him in a trade. He is a sneaky and dirty b*stard in the mold of John Stockton. The flops, below the belt shots, the grabbing, holding, stopping in front of a running big man to draw the foul and putting them at a risk etc. etc.. Hated every bit of this since his Hornets days.

But at the same time, I was also impressed with what he could do on the court on the defensive side, given his size.

Watch his hands. They are always tracking the ball which lets him steal the ball from the dribblers. His anticipation when the opponent is dribbling is incredible. It also lets him get into the passing lanes. The ball is never safe around Chris Paul. A slight mis-dribble or a slightly off target pass, and he is the most likely person to grab it. Even when the dribbler makes no mistake, Chris Paul has a good chance as any player in the league to pick his pocket.

Watch how he moves his legs. Knees bent, constant lateral motion following the ball, and use of arms to keep his player on bay. Text book positioning.

He has a strong base but he has tremendous upper body strength given his size. That's the only reason I can think of how he can guard players much bigger than him off the dribble and especially in the post. And I am not talking about just holding ground. He makes life miserable for them. I have seen him give Kobe tough time in the post. I ask everyone to watch him guard the post this year when they get a chance.

I love Beverley. His tenacity on the defensive end was the difference in us winning or losing a number of games. And I know people are saying that we will miss Pat's tenacity but I think Chris Paul is just as tenacious. In fact, I would wager that Chris is less of gambler than Pat but just as fierce. Chris may not yell and scream as much Pat but that does not diminish his effectiveness. However, one advantage that Pat holds is that he could afford to use more energy on the defensive end because he didn't have as huge of a offensive load to bear. Chris cannot be as gung ho as Pat through out the game.

Also, like Olajuwon, his defensive IQ and instincts are off the chart. Somehow he always seems to be around the ball. I dont think you can train to be good at this. You either have it or you dont and Chris is one of the best at it.

Pound for pound, Chris Paul is one of the best defenders in the history of the game. Yes, history! And he is such a dirty little b*stard and plays for our team!

[​IMG]

PS1. He is pretty good on offense as well.

PS2. If you think Scottie Pippen was a better defender than Chris Paul is, delete your account, go to your kitchen, find a frying pan, fill it halfway with oil, heat the oil to medium high, deactivate all smoke alarms, and then submerge your face into the hot oil.

PS3. Spoilered for some depressing bit
    Chris Paul being such a great defensive player is also the reason us not being able to get Paul George hurts so bad. With Chris Paul and Paul George guarding the perimeter and passing lane, we would have been a defensive juggernaut, especially with our other versatile defensive role players on this team. *sigh* Hurts so bad. We were so close to legitimately threatening the Warriors..

PS4. Uncharted 4: A thief's end.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Insulting the rockets legend Chuck Hayes,

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This is from a few years back but I don't think it would have changed much

[​IMG]

CP3 is definitely the best PG defender in the league and one of the best perimeter defenders overall

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good shout out but nah....

Loved Hayes but I don't think he was better than Chris Paul. I would have considered him if, as a big man, he could block shots as well, in addition to his position defense.

Taking charges is fine but I also expect big men to offer blocks, which Hayes couldn't because of his size. Thus, he gets a couple of points taken off.

ilovehtownbb and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pippen wasn't even a Rocket so I'm not sure why anyone would bring him into the conversation...you may have a point here though.

red, vinsensual, Vin2k2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We'll see. Though he wasn't as effective as CP3 as an individual defender (and for all his flaws defending in space), Yao was Hibbert before Hibbert; the team never had a DRtng worse than 6th in the NBA from 2004-2009.

Proof will be in the results.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

K-Lo_The_Future likes this.
  9. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I'm not saying this guy is/was a better defender than Chris Paul.
    I'm not saying this guy is the best Rockets defender since Hakeem.

But I am saying Patrick "first team defense" Beverley needs to have his name mentioned in this thread.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. Also, Hakeem only played for the Rockets, no other team.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He has.

Multiple times.

In the very first post in this thread lol...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

B-ball freak likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

like...non

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I'm willing to disqualify the lockout season from the record books and my memory. What a waste of a season. I agree Pippen was never a rocket

15. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I was there for his triple double game... I'll never forget it, lol.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Paul George would have been legit. Paul, Harden, George would have been great for sure.

But with Paul, Ariza, Tucker and Luc- not to mention the hopefully improving rim protection from Capela, we have the potential to be a pretty good and pretty versatile defensive team already.

Not to say that I wouldn't rather have had George.

But I am easily beyond looking back at what we didn't get and instead excited to see what we did

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I was thinking this when we first made the trade. All we really gave up in losing Bev is a flashier style of defense that's more likely to piss off opponents because it shows them up. But what we gained in CP3 is someone who not only plays great on-ball defense, but is also great at team defense and (most important of all) will hold his teammates accountable. Harden has elevated his defense already and it's just the pre-season.

I appreciate how Bev has carved out a niche in the NBA and worked hard to improve in areas where he was deficient. Seems like a great guy and tries harder than 95% of NBA players. But on defense alone, I'd take CP3 over him, no question. Add in all the other things Paul brings to the table and this trade was a no-brainer, even when you add in all the other things we gave up to get him.

Zboy likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Battier , artest , Yao , and Hayes were all very good . Tmac was also quite good when focused .

Man , I think this team has potential to be better than the 09 team , but they have to go prove it.

AirBud#10 and Clown Baby like this.
  19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Chris Paul is better at the technique aspects of playing defense. His ability to guard around screens for example is used as the gold standard of how to do it:

Zboy and topfive like this.