1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disc Golf!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS????

lol nah, I knew I just forgot what a damn blast it is. Found out there is a sweet course around the corner from my house...picked up a starter pack and went for it. Almost blew out my elbow haha...

Trying to watch some technique vids and learn about the different types of discs. I picked up a higher speed for driving and an overstable for anhyzer shots. Anybody got some good info for a starter?

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I tried to tell you about sashimi

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. Cranberry_Juice

But he was too stubborn and said "I don't want to hear it cuz you not my Nigiri."

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Disc golf is 5 yrs ago. Foot golf is the new hotness.

[​IMG]

#4 tallanvor, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Disc Golf is dependent on great courses. Run down courses without fun traps is no fun. Best course I played was in Asheville. It was a blast throwing them across the ravines and up and down and around the hills.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Disc Golf was invented so that decripent old hippies had an outdoor sport they could play at a high level after enjoying a doober.

VooDooPope and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I was at a party where I met a guy who was really into disc golf. This was over 10 years ago, before the game got so popular. Anyway, he got offended when I called it "frolf" a couple of times...is this a typical reaction in the disc golf community? I initially thought he was kidding around, but he was deadly serious about not calling it frolf.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not always after, often times, While enjoying a J.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

There are a ton of good resources on Youtube and r/discgolf.

I started playing a couple years ago and did the same thing, went for the biggest driver I could find... Unsuccessfully...

A few things i've picked up are:

Act like you are starting a lawn mower that's sitting on a table, the way you would pull start it is the way you should be throwing, the throw should end like you would pop someone with a towel, that is what generates the spin on the disc and rips it out of your hand.

Disc down: you will notice that all of your discs regardless of speed are all fading at the same distance, if you throw a speed 12 disc at speed 6 it never spins enough to catch its flight path and just falls left (assuming your a right handed back handed thrower). Slower discs have less fade (usually), so once the disc slows down they fall without going as far left. I get maybe an extra 40ft going from a leopard (speed 6) to a valkyrie (speed 9), but its much more likely that the valkyrie ends up 30ft to the left of the fairway spot I was aiming.

Slow your throw down: when working on your form, run thru it slower, getting the disc up to the right speed is more about your pull back and getting your core into your throw that using your arm muscles.

Footwork: X step, its much easier to look up a vid for this than for me to explain it, but a small female friend of mine changed to the xstep for her footwork and almost doubled her distance and can regularly throw 200-250ft now.

I play most weekends up around the north side, Northside, Stonebridge and McDade are my local favs. I am not great by any means, but started out averaging a double bogie on each hole and now get a birdie opportunity roughly 40% of the time.

https://i.imgur.com/gqQ2Y3p.png - good comparison for innova flight paths, pay attention to the dotted line, that's the amateur flight path for the disc, they are all roughly the same distance regardless of speed on the disc.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point, particularly here in Austin. What I like about it are the far easier physical requirements. If you can walk and throw a disc, that's all you need. It's far easier than golf with a bad back (not that I can manage more than putting), Frisbee "touch football," or bowling, which I used to love. When we moved from Houston to Austin in 1980, we went to a national Ultimate Frisbee tournament at Zilker. 1980 was the first year they had a national tour. It was fantastic, a real trip. I still have a tournament Frisbee I bought as a souvenir. 37 years old, and it still flies, although I rarely use it.

VooDooPope likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I haven't been back to play since the post but I have been working on some slow mo throws to the couch. Definitely Italy feels different than what I was doing.

I didn't throw the mid ranges away lol but I'm definitely strong enough to power the one I got, even with my jacked up tech I domt think I was getting the distance I should have. I have a Valkyrie, towards the end of the round I uncorked a forehand (I'm right handed) and by accident didn't roll my wrist over and the thing definitely went 300ft. It was a beauty lol

From watching videos, I can also see I was letting my body kind of do whatever. Seems like the pros I'm watching are kind of leaning forward a bit, I was just falling out or stopping my momentum altogether. Seems obvious AF now lol but I'm excited to go back.

None of my friends are really into it, so, if you ever want to team up I'd be down. I live 2 minutes away from north side church if that's the one you're talking about

#12 Dankstronaut, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

So thanks to COVID, disc golf has more than tripled in popularity since 2019. (The app that everyone uses to track their scores reports numbers, and the popularity is out of control right now). Discs have been sold out a lot, tournaments are filling up in minutes, and courses have all been jam packed.

Anybody pick up disc golf last year?

I've been playing for about 10 years now, but it's been crazy lately.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind trying it out. Always thought it'd be cool. I literally have no time to start playing, though. Maybe on a year and a half or so.

I do have room to make my own course, though. Would be interesting to get some portable holes.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looks crappy

I like playing d*** golf better

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

darts, ladder golf, bocce, washers...

No, I have no desire to chase a ****ing frisbee. Only time I do anything that far a dog's gonna bring in back to me.

#16 Buck Turgidson, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  17. DarkHorse

I hope to someday be a cool as you.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. DarkHorse

Here are some highlights from the pro scene.

J Sizzle and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

You know, you're right, I'm an *******. Disc golf is a great game (I have memories about the last time I played, Tom Bass Park, 2 days after I blew out my knee...I never should have gone.). Anything that will get people outdoors, which not enough people do, is good with me.

eta: I'm glad you have goals, though. ;)

#19 Buck Turgidson, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  20. DarkHorse

Haha I have no ambitions to try and make money in disc golf. I'm just a relatively high level casual player. I could play tournaments and stuff but I never do cause I have a real job and family commitments.

But disc golf is definitely a high skill, athletic sport. The skillset shares a very high overlap with baseball, both pitching and hitting. Baseball players always pick up disc golf much faster than other folks. And contrary to popular belief outside the game, playing disc golf is actually not much like throwing a frisbee. Frisbee is much more of a light wrist flick.

Disc golf is a much more powerful, full body motion. It's all form and takes a lot of practice to learn how to do it. Again, a lot of baseball overlap, and traditional golf as well, but backwards! (Assuming you're right handed, imagine swinging a golf club lefty, with the Happy Gilmore runup)

Anyway, I think it's great.

There will always be the dudes who wanna smoke weed or cart around beers during a round. But there's a much larger crowd of folks who treat it like a serious sport, and especially since COVID we're seeing a lot more families out playing together.

As long as I they let me play through, I'm happy to see the growth. :)