1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Martin Luther King who like Ali peacefully resisted laws that were unjust. In fact MLK Jr. said, "One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

Martin Luther King when speaking on the murder of murdered minorities said, "We must be concerned not only about who murdered them but the system, the way of life, the philosophy that produced the murderers." Attacking that system is exactly what Ali and others do here that you cry about all the time on these boards.

Martin Luther King Jr. Explicitly advocated becoming extremists.

This is something else that Martin Luther King Jr. said that doesn't seem like you admire or abide by at all.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;"

In fact, it almost sounds like he's talking about a number of people on this board.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're not going to have a long back and fourth on this, agree to disagree.

I think the whole point of Scalia's quote there is that using the flag in 'disrespect' is a valid form of protest.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I never said that they all were this or that, some were definitely racist. Personally, I think they had every reason to be considering how they were treated.

Many were anti-american because they were not satisfied with what the country stood for in the first place. MLK Jr said some things I'm sure you wouldn't like, as @FranchiseBlade illustrated above there.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

nobody argued it wasn't (not even trump). You don't do political protests at work or you get fired. This is true at almost every workplace. You also don't offend large percentage of your customers or you get fired. All trump said was this. He shouldn't of said it cause the president shouldn't talk about sports, but its none the less true.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can't pretend being an NFL player is some normal everyday desk job...and also, that's just not some absolute rule in the first place.

You also aren't going to get fired when your owner is kneeling with you lol....

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Oh so you're saying that Americans will be comfortable with players disrespecting the flag when they are not at work but because it's at work that's why people are mad? Here I thought it was just about disrespecting the flag, that got people angry.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Don't
    No it isn't. It's a form of speech equivalent to employee expressing a political opinion and the president shouldn't use his bully pulpit to tell private employers whom to fire becsuse of their exceeding of free speech.

It hinders free speech because the president's bully pulpit is powerful.

8. tallanvor

Are you claiming the basic rules of how to interact with coworkers and around the workplace don't apply to football? of course they do. Don't bring politics to the workplace unless its part of your job.

of course not, but they should

This all could of been resolved so easily and still can be. All Goddell had to do was say 'The football field is no place for a political protest. I don't care if its Pro-Republican, Pro-Democrat, or whatever' then make a quick rule stopping the behavior. Every business owner in the world would understand this. Goddell ****ed it up like he always does.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the political leader of a nation is encouraging employers to fire people based on their political expression, that is far closer to a free-speech infraction than anything that was going on in Berkley.

10. tallanvor

wrong

11. tallanvor

not saying that at all

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah this about sums up my views.

13. Major

Major Member

Actually, none of this is true.

You do political protests at work or offend your customers, and your employer gets to decide whether to fire you or not. Outsiders do not. Trump didn't say what you said - he proactively said the employers *should* fire them.

Besides being ridiculous, it may actually also be illegal for him to say that.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Or, better, yet, the football field is no place for politics. We will revert back to pre-2009 and no longer have the athletes come out to the field when the national anthem plays.

Or, even better yet, let's not even play it at all. It's an unnecessary distraction and a waste of my time. I don't need an anthem before a game to remind me to honor veterans. It's called actually volunteering to help them- or just being a decent citizen.

MoonBus likes this.
  15. tallanvor

lolz. oh the employer decides? get right out of town. thx for the info.

its illegal to say someone should be fired? run with that major.

16. tallanvor

im fine with all that

mtbrays likes this.
  17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

They should do what they do at Minute Maid Park. Honor a veteran or two during each home game (I think it's between the 3rd and 4th inning, but they can just do it before each game). Everybody, even players, applauds them when this happens. I'd much rather them do that. It's quicker, it gives actual name recognition to veterans, and it's much better to honor actual people than the flag, IMHO.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm telling you that it isn't an absolute rule. That if you bring up politics to the workplace you are automatically fired. Some bosses may operate this way, some would not. Sometimes it is unavoidable whether you like it or not.

I had a co-worker once that was a man and decided to bring his HUSBAND to work...oh boy...the crap that started. So, did he bring politics to work or does his very existence remind some folk of politics?

They should according to what?

NFL is an entertainment business, are you saying that politics and political discussion shouldn't be part of any entertainment program?

19. Major

Major Member

If you understood it, you wouldn't have posted something to the contrary.

No - my understanding is that it is illegal for a political leader to try to influence a private employer's decisions by threat for partisan purposes. Given that he did it at a partisan rally, it's easy to argue the latter. The threat part is a bit more vague, depending on how you interpret his attempt to encourage a boycott and inflict financial harm on a private entity.

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Trump dinner source report from earlier is just blatant evidence that this is a manufactured controversy with the sole purpose of dividing.

Trump fans- Why don't you see how easily you are being played here? You know the players would kneel because they now have to stand together on this issue, and you know that folks like myself would back up their rights to protest.... because... FREEDOM.

Then you have the news too about the organized FB propaganda campaigns from Russia that stirred up the very same topics you guys on the right feed from all day every day (BLM, etc.). How can you guys just willingly sign up to be drones in this propaganda campaign, or do you guys even realize that your opinions are being weaponized to sew division which ultimately gives leaders like Donald Trump the power he craves to be like Putin where he can rule with an iron fist?

So Trump fans- If you really are patriots and care about the country, just say I respect the free speech of players even though I choose to stand... that's it. No culture war that helps destroy our country. Why is that so hard, or why do you want so badly to be a drone soldier for Donald Trump when you know damn well what his end goal is which is NOT an American ideal that this country was founded on??

You guys want to be "Patriots" ... be a GDamn patriot and stop the BS propaganda drone wars.