1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Psychopaths prefer rap over other music types

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

The New York University team behind the work stress that the results are preliminary and unpublished, but the scientists are sufficiently intrigued to launch a major study in which thousands of people across the psychopathy spectrum will be quizzed on their musical tastes.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Shut up. Time to ban all rap music.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Your statement is a mistake from someone who does not know logical reasoning. Let me give you a lesson.

The article (if true) states that
    "if you're a psychopath, you are more likely to like rap music than the general population"

The contrapositive of that statement is

"if you are not more likely to like rap music then the general population, then you are not a psychopath"

That's the ONLY conclusion one can make from that article. What you did right there with your statement, is defined as a conversion. You are now making an argument that isn't proven by the study.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Your statement is incongruous. You clearly are not the master of logic that you like to flatteringly thing yourself to be.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

People like you and bigpuffery prove it on a daily basis.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol it's funny cause you don't even have to be a "master" of logic to understand why your argument is flawed. It's really that bad.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  7. GladiatoRowdy

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've also heard politicians score high on psychopathy tests. I'm pretty sure Trump scores up there on psychopathy or sociopathy spectrum. That is one of the many reasons I didn't think he was suited to be president. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ferring-to-politicians-as-psychopaths/260517/

But what Mojo seems to be suggesting here is that we should look on some people with suspicion based on their taste in music and then perhaps discriminate against them because they have a mental disorder. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I see 2 problems with this idea.

One, he makes a logical mistake in saying that because psychopaths prefer rap music, fans of rap music must have higher concentrations of psychopaths. That doesn't reallyu make sense. There are other reasons why people have the musical tastes that they do, and they aren't normally distributed. Blacks might show a much stronger preference for rap music than white people, for example, as a cultural affinity. But, if you take that to Mojo's logical (implicit and perhaps intentional) conclusion, you might find psychopathy rates to be much higher among blacks than whites. Clinically, it doesn't make much sense that black people would be more prone than white people.

Two, the implication goes on that it would be somehow beneficial to identify the psychopaths among us. It's a mental disorder with a spectrum. People who score on the spectrum can still be functioning members of society. They don't all eat people or make clothes out of human skin. They don't all become president and push the world to the brink of nuclear catastrophe. We dot have things to test people, and hopefully tools like that and professional mental health experts can help psychopaths learn how to live better. The idea of surreptitious identification of people with mental disorders by analyzing their private Spotify playlists is pretty chilling. Pretty much as bad as picking out homosexuals based on their photographs.

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Trump is diagnosable with what is called a personality disorder. So is Barack Obama, by the way.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And Obama likes rap.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To run for president requires no small amount of hubris.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Domestic abusers prefer nickelback over my Shirona

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Listening to hip hop" is the new "Reading 'The Catcher in the Rye'"

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Psychopaths make up a very tiny percentage of any population, including, of course a population that only listens to rap music.

OP needs a hug and a nice viewing of the movie Patty Cake$. Rap is international now, practiced and enjoyed by all races, independent of whether or not the OP and I like it. (I don't like it much, especially outside of the 1980's.)

On the actual topic, I'm sure violent-themed music is more popular with psychopaths. Certain kinds of metal would probably rate well also. Wasn't one of the famous mass shooters listening to Drowning Pool or some crap? Not very interesting or surprising research, IMHO.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Neither Obama or Trump are either psychopaths or sociopaths.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hear Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy, and bobbytheflake were all big Tupac fans.

el gnomo and CometsWin like this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

and my mom made me throw away my Megadeath CD (the one with Symphony of Destruction) because it was demon rock and no good could come from listening to it.

Z-ROCK

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Race-baiting is a sign of psychopathy.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This must be why Philando Castile was murdered with his daughter in the back seat. The officer heard Young MC on the radio as he approached the car and knew he had to be quick on the trigger.

20. GladiatoRowdy

Just went and looked at the "study" (as mentioned, in progress and unpublished, rightly so) and it definitely suffers from a small N problem. 200 observations just isn't enough for even weak statistical power.