1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I see this sentiment often; I don't think it has even a marginal impact. Pay a player enough, and they'll gladly side-step any internal issues about previous player treatment. Plus, if the bottom line is to win, sitting a sub.700 OPS player is a smart, win-at-all-costs *baseball* decision. If your potential free agent would rather you play the worse player because of feelings, maybe he shouldn't be your first choice.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We have a sub .500 record vs lefties in general. I dont have a good feeling at all facing their starters.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros as a team have hit as well versus LHP and RHP. Most likely record is just a fluke.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps. But given the choice, everything else being equal, id rather face righties.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I like the idea of going tandem starts with McHugh/McCullers/Morton/Peacock. If this is the case, who should we pair with who? I think they should separate McCullers with Morton since they're both high velocity guys. McCullers/McHugh and Peacock/Morton?

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hypothetical scenario, if us and the Inidans have the same record, do you pitch Dallas Keuchel the final game of the season, which is his spot in the rotation?

He would still be able to start game 2 on regular rest, but you would risk giving the Red Sox good look at him. As is, he's scheduled to get a 9 day rest, which for a feel pitcher like Keuchel may present a problem in itself.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure how much it matters that the Red Sox will have seen him or what the disadvantage of extra rest might be. You manage the game like you are resigned to being the 2 seed, IMO.

8. Buck Turgidson

No. Whose turn would it be regardless? Throw LMJ and see what his balls look like.

9. juicystream

It's Keuchel's turn, but I think the decision has already been made to skip him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Very good point. If he is rusty, the downside of this may counteract the downside of giving them a look. Maybe a simulated outing somewhere inbetween?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Managing the game somewhat depends on knowing the impact of those things.

12. juicystream

Indeed. My comment is manage the game like the Indians have already clinched the #1 seed. If you think extra rest hurts more than being seen twice in a row, pitch Keuchel.

Now, if the Yankees close the gap, I'd find that more interesting.

13. Hey Now!

I think he'll pitch, regardless - they'll likely want him to stay on his normal routine. And if so, then the question becomes will he be on a strict pitch count. If the game doesn't mean anything, likely.

If they skip him, BTW, it probably means Keuchel is their game 1 starter, right?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Verlander has cemented that position and will have adequate rest.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

For multiple reasons, I hope Verlander is the announced Game 1 starter sometime this weekend.

16. Hey Now!

I would hope. My thought was - if they skip Keuchel *and* hold him for game 2, you're increasing his number of days off. Granted, by 1 - but, still - I think they'd be concerned.

As is, if they skip Keuchel, Verlander would pitch game 1 with 7 days rest; Keuchel would pitch game 2 with 9 days rest. If they flip 'em, they'd both be on 8 days rest.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think whether we see Keuchel or not will be decided after these first 2 games are played. If Saturday and Sunday have the potential to matter, I have a feeling we'll see Keuchel go for at least 50-60 pitches.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It would seem management has already made up their mind given that earlier in the month, we could have managed things so DK and V hit the the playoffs on regular rest.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect even if Keuchel is skipped, he'll pitch a simulated 2-3 innings such that too much rest isn't a concern.

juicystream and No Worries like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Exacly. It's not a problem.

No Worries likes this.