1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I will sacrifice @swyyyguy as tribute

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Same here

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. So much bitterness. As if I'm happy we're not getting Melo.
    Don't be mad at me. Be mad at yourself for thinking Ryno would = Melo.
    Step your NBA knowledge up

DanTony!Toni!Tone! likes this.
  4. Calebhardin9

Calebhardin9 Member

This might be an intentional and very smart and risky move for melo to get to Houston. If he really wanted out he would have included Portland, he'd be traded in an instant.

This opening allows the Knicks to see the poor trade market for melo and understand the context of our offer compared to others. @The Cat 's podcasts all indicate that there are three team deals in place, NY just doesn't like them. The Knicks will see the scrubs that OKC will offer (Kanter, Singler, McDermott) and turn their nose.

The cavs were included on this list because hey have not really shown any indication that they want to trade for him, and they have had ample opportunity. Remember when they were on his trade list too? Melo is not a good fit for their roster.

Finally believe it or not, we have better draft capital than both of these teams. First off we must understand that the Bkn pick is off of the table, duh. Other than that, the cavs can only trade their 2021 and on first round picks , which they shouldn't and won't do because LeBron will be old or even worse gone by then, rendering that pick extremely valuable. The Thunder are only allowed to trade their picks from 2022 and on. Which they should know that they shouldn't do because of the possible departure of Westbrook and PG13 and their aging even if they stay.
    However, we can include our 2020 pick and we are more motivated to do so since we already have harden locked up. If Westbrook signs his extension I could see OKC being fine with trading that 2021 pick, but that has yet to happen and I don't think it will happen.

Lastly, the length and the deatails of Melos contract adds into the equation here. Melo will opt in to his contract next year, period end of story. Look at what his buddy Wade did, and look at the market. He ain't getting 28mil anywhere else, even if he is on a bad team. OKC and Cleveland will not want to give up much for melo because of the potential for their stars to leave and then the teams are stuck paying melo max money and trying to tank at the same time (much like the situation the Knicks are in). Also, don't forget his trade kicker! There has been no indication currently that he would waive the kicker for any other team than Houston. That kicker makes it harder to match salaries in trades and it gives those potential suitors even more pause in what they might offer.

TLDR:
    The expansion is about melo getting the Knicks to take the rockets offer and to get morey to add in that 2020 first unprotected.
    A three team deal with say Det or MIL sending two mediocre players on 2-3 year deals, our 2020 first to NY and some minor sweeteners is better than anything the cavs or thunder might offer given the special circumstances of each teams cap situation. We aren't ever giving Gordon or ariza or Capela.

#12644 Calebhardin9, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Dude I was congratulating you on tooting your own horn man. You killed it out there

Daddy Long Legs and BigggReddd like this.
  7. rockets13champs

That's hilarious

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Are you going to dance for him? How are you going to turn him on? Oh wait - I get it - like start hating on him.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Houston09

Houston09 Member

New rumor melo open his list up to 36 teams 6 are nfl teams

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

When did scrub- CJ M. Become a "star ". ? Plz.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

:eek::eek::eek:

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Please man dont say that , :eek:

Daddy Long Legs and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Bingo! We have a winner.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great logic and what I was thinking as well. Hell, Morey might have slipped these two names to CP3 for Melo to add.

J_Hunter_1977 and today like this.
  15. Audioout

Audioout Member

This guy gets it. Lots of mind games going on right now.

Deuce, Calebhardin9, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I really don't see it when some of you act like Melo expanding his trade list is a good thing for the Rockets. It's objectively a very, very bad thing for us. He very well may end up a Rocket, but expanding his list has only done us harm.

el gnomo, joshuaao and BMoney like this.
  17. today

today Contributing Member

This is what I was thinking too... I'm just hoping that it's not the homer logic in me.

I also like his point about the trade kicker. He could have said that these other teams are on his list but he won't waive the trade kicker, which makes it even more difficult to get a deal done.

Then NY can come back and say that the Houston deal was the best available, and they save face. Heck, this could be a coordinated effort on both sides for how to PR this trade.

Crossing my fingers...

#12657 today, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Why is it too hard for you to accept this is just a simple scenario of Ryno's contract being too difficult to unload. Knicks wanted nothing to do with it, and if a third team were willing to get him, that team was only willing to send their own garbage to the Knicks.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING MELO IF WE'RE ONLY GIVING UP RYNO FROM OUR ROTATION. Morey is too smart to not let this deal to happen over a draft pick or two. I guarantee you a future 1st was not holding up this deal.

el gnomo likes this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is just bad news if you are a Rockets fan. I don't think this will materially effect their regular season win total- they will be in the upper echelon of the NBA, but their ceiling would be higher if they could have swapped Anderson for Anthony.

Zoplicone likes this.
  20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Also no matter where Melo ends up, we should really appreciate the fact that he tried everything he can to get his ass over here. I feel some people will have bitter feelings toward him; that's unwarranted. Dude literally spent the past two months refusing any other team but us (including Cleveland).

It'll be hard not to hate on him though if he ends up on Portland or OKC so yeah let's hope Cleveland gets him.