1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Adidas passes Jordan brand as 2nd-most popular sneaker; Nike on top

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by don grahamleone, Sep 18, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ordan-brand-2nd-most-popular-sneaker-nike-top

Adidas has passed the Jordan brand as the second-most popular sneaker in the United States, market tracking company NPD Group announced Monday.

"I've never seen a brand in the sneaker industry grow this fast," NPD sports industry analyst Matt Powell said.

From January through August of this year, Adidas had 11.3 percent of the U.S. market share by dollars. That was up from the 6.6 percent the brand had over the same period last year.

Meanwhile, the Jordan brand essentially stayed steady, growing only from 9.4 percent to 9.5 percent year-to-date.

The leader in the marketplace, Jordan brand owner Nike, dropped from 39 percent of the market share for the first eight months of last year to 37 percent for the first eight months of 2017.

A declining player in the U.S. shoe game in 2015, with only 4 percent of the market, Adidas started to push out its CEO of 14 years, Herbert Hainer, in search of greater stability.

Over the next two years, Adidas grew steadily through its originals brand like Superstar and Stan Smith, its new Ultraboost line, and an endorsement deal with Kanye West to bring his Yeezy brand over from Nike.

"Kanye is often given credit for the rise, but his product offering is tiny," Powell said.

In the last two reported quarters, Adidas' overall U.S. sales growth went up 41 and 45 percent, while Nike, which has a significantly larger business, saw an increase of 3 percent in one quarter and none in the other. It hasn't helped that basketball shoe sales have slowed down across the board, although Nike has strength in basketball with LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving as endorsers.

"Nike's U.S. sales started declining around 'Back To School' in 2015, and it has been negative ever since," Powell said. "You have to believe at some point they're going to wake up."

Shares of Adidas are up 31.3 percent over the past year, while shares of Nike are down 3 percent.

2. don grahamleone

Harden picked the group that's building upward momentum. I'm sure some of their sales numbers have to do with James Harden.

[​IMG]

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm sure it has something to do with it, but just like Kanye, it's probably minuscule.

I'm thinking it has more to do with the sports apparel.

Very impressive though; didn't think anyone could unseat Jordan as #2. Jordan has been getting all it's money from retros and re-releases. I don't think Jordan Brand has come out with a truly Iconic shoe since the 14's.

4. don grahamleone

I'm not going to pretend I know everything about this situation, but I think that it's specifically talking about shoes.

ADIDAS STOCK IS CRUSHING NIKE AND UNDER ARMOUR AND IT’S NOT EVEN CLOSE
    https://sneakernews.com/2017/03/08/adidas-nike-under-armour-2017-stocks/

adidas has been flourishing mightily over the last year all thanks to the success of their classic and new product. Stan Smiths and Superstars have been holding down the fort on the retro front, while dazzling new icons like the adidas Ultra Boost and NMD shoes have become fixtures in casual wear and the fastidious sneaker culture. While Kanye West’s name will never be mentioned by data analysts simply due to the lower production number of his shoes, the one known as Yeezy brought with him the droves of fans who are far more style-conscious than the average consumer. All this has led to adidas’ stock rising 67% over the last year, according to Yahoo! Finance (via @readdanwrite).

Meanwhile, Nike’s stock has remained relatively stagnant over the last twelve months, experiencing an overall 4% decrease since last March. However, the Swoosh brand remains optimistic because of the continuing success of its robust retro catalog and promising new innovations like the Vapormax and the self-lacing technology called E.A.R.L., which first surfaced with last year’s HyperAdapt 1.0.

Under Armour has failed to re-capture the success from 2015; they still remain a one-trick pony in Steph Curry, and right now their lone pillar is standing on shaky legs. Outside of the Curry line, there’s nothing to write home about (on the footwear front), and that notion is reflected in a shocking 57% decrease in stock value over the last year. Sad to say, but a Cavs-like comeback doesn’t seem to be in the stars.

Despite these numbers, Nike is still in the lead by a wide margin. As of today, Nike’s worth is at $93 Billion, which is more than double what adidas’ current worth is ($37.2 Billion). Under Armour is far behind at $7.9 Billion.

[​IMG]

DreamShook and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

It has to do with their nmd brand bro ..... yeezy boost from our own Kanye West .....
    Ughh and it has to do with the Kardashians ....

https://www.klekt.in/sneaker/adidas/adidas-nmd-r1-pk-triple-black-japan_i1141176
    https://sneakernews.com/2017/07/07/adidas-nmd-r1-primeknit-bz0220/

Sold out in Taiwan within one min of listing .......
    Same as in japan Itself one foreign passport equal to one purchase only, so you cant buy loads for profits.
    Very hot commodity right now

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/04/12/adidas-nmd-hype-analysis/

#5 Sidarma, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. don grahamleone

I said "some" homie. I'm just glad Harden joined up with a winner.

BigMaloe and RocketsTruth like this.
  7. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

typical ESPN used Lonzo Ball in their article( who isnt even signed to adidas) as the guy who is behind the sales. ESPN cant wont give harden credit for anything. Hey Harden signed the richest contract for an adidas athlete in history, but we cant mention Hardens name on our air, so yea Lonzo Ball wore Hardens shoes in the summer league. Yea lets use Lonzo Ball hahah

8. malakas

malakas Member

This is only about shoes and the USA market specifically.
    And unfortunately it has nothing to do with Harden's shoe.
    It's because of fashion. Americans apparently prefer now to buy casual sport shoes instead of bball shoes which made the difference.

Nook, BigMaloe, ghettocheeze and 3 others like this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fashion changes. Adidas makes shoes you can wear anytime. Clothing etc. Ultraboost helps a lot.

Harden has nothing to do with this. Most ppl don't care for bball shoes.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So nobody wants to mention how African-American fashion and culture has moved away sneakers and Js to more casual Yeezy type earth tones. Just walk through a black neighborhood and look at what guys are wearing these days. Jordans used to be a black man's prized possession, not anymore.

11. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

I get what you're trying to imply, but you can't really say the "black cultures fashion" was Js and now comfy casual shoes. It's the shoe industry in general. Sneaker heads come in all colors

12. Mr. Space City

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Wow Im genuinely surprised. I've stayed away from Adidas boots cause they've been rubbish in the past and have continued this with my son, only buying Nike.
    Out if interest on the initial post, the %s given come to about 60% of the market. Who has the rest?

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

adidas didn't give harden a 200M endorser/influencer/creator contract just to sell bball shoes

#14 vlaurelio, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    RudyTBag likes this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Bruh,

The boost technology is life.

I suggest trying another pair. Adidas is wiping the floor with Nike. Comfort, style and even price goes to Adidas.

I have noticed that every time I go into a shoe store now, adidas are the only thing drawing my eye. My last 5 pair of shoes have been adidas and I have zero regrets.

#15 BigMaloe, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    roslolian, BigShasta and abaker28 like this.
  16. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Way to shoehorn Lonzo Ball into the article.

RocketsTruth likes this.
  17. hvic

hvic Member

I bought my dad the energy boost so he can have more support when he's out and about and now he is hooked. He threw away all of his nike and new balance shoes and asking for more boost shoes to add to his collection.

roslolian and BigMaloe like this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The best designed shoes.

Extremely comfortable and very fashionable

roslolian and hvic like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Adidas on the recruiting process

roslolian likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think split between under armour, fila, and reebok.