1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston man tries to bomb Confederate statue: gets caught

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 22, 2017.

1. amaru

amaru Member

I'm not going around in circles about this. Let's just agree to disagree.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's perfectly fine, I just wanted to point out how crazy what you were saying actually is. You can feel free to stand by it, but when others criticize you you'll understand why.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So doesn't li'l bobby claim to have served in the military? If so, was he lying when he took this pledge-

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Because you can't really swear to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" when your primary loyalty is to your state.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is the dumbest post I've seen today. Congratulations.

You know nothing about the military and those who served and continue to serve. Just put the hat on and head to the corner before you embarrass yourself further.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

You served a nation that enslaved black people for 100 years A country that celebrates a man that enslaved black people, ripped their teeth out of their head and beat them (Washington). A nation that reveres a man as the great emancipator when he wanted to send all black people back to Africa and felt the white man was superior morally and intellectually. A nation that exploits your black and brown brothers, that has blood on it's hands for killing large numbers of brown people for profit that benefits rich white people.

You are either a stooge or a hypocrite.

6. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Somehow li'l b isn't able to explain the contradiction between his alleged military service which would require taking an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" and his primary loyalty to his state. Instead he flails desperately trying to deflect.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly you don't know many people who served or who serve today. Now while I understand your ignorance, it doesn't make it any more tolerable. Like I said, just head to the corner with the dunce cap on and rethink your life.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't have a horse in this race, however just drop it because you sound ignorant.

9. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Li'l b doesn't understand that repeating himself doesn't make what he says any more valid.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't make it any less valid either. I get that you think this trolling is effective or clever, but it's honesty neither. You are just making yourself look pathetic.

11. gifford1967

Supporting Member

You would think if there was an explanation, Li'l bobby would provide it. But he doesn't. Why?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I did provide it, you don't know what the hell you are talking about in that you clearly don't know many people in the military. Your ignorance is embarrassing, but not altogether surprising given posts you've made in the past. I would suggest you get to know some people in the military so that perhaps at some point you can have an intelligent and informed opinion.

13. amaru

amaru Member

I don't need you to lecture me on AA history.

This nation isn't perfect but no nation is. The US has also provided my family with a chance to escape a level of disease, poverty and sorrow the likes of which most privileged Americans can't even fathom. In one generation we went from living on villages on a small undeveloped island ripe with disease to millionaires. That isn't possible in too many places, but in America (despite its many flaws) that is. It's not a perfect country, but it is my country.

We have mechanisms in place to address our grievances with the nation's policies legally. What you do not do is attack your own damn government because you are pouting about the result of an election. If you are willing to literally tear your own country apart and shoot at some of your own comrades in arms who are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing.....you are NOTHING more than a spineless, cry baby, cowardly traitor.

That is my opinion and nothing will change that.

mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I had enough of the glorification of slave owners. We should s
    You apparently need a lecture. Nearly every country was born from the rubble of war. The only difference between a hero like Georgia Washington and a terroristic traitor like Robert E Lee is one of these guys won their rebellion.

The boundaries in the 1800's resembled more of todays EU than the current USA. States were much much more independent than the federal bloat we have today. The north and south were long divided before the Civil War. Some argue a civil war was inevitable, even if slavery was removed from the equation. The lack of a strong central government is what allowed the civil war in the first place, which is why we will likely never see such a well defined civil war again.

15. amaru

amaru Member

You might as well stop trying. I'll never see any confederate as anything other than traitors. I won't accept any attempt to try to justify their treason. There were a multitude of legal recourses they could have taken to address their grievances, but they felt like they were above the law of the land and were dealt with accordingly.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're such a dope. "Some argue" you enjoy making stupid, outlandish points just to run your mouth. Boring.

Rocketman95 likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

why do you hate America? Srs. :(

amaru likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

There was a real argument at the time about whether secession was constitutional. The issue wasn't even decided until several years AFTER the Civil War. States had threatened to break off from the Union several times prior to the Civil War, and it almost happened before compromises were worked out politically. The idea of the secession is radical and extreme now, was not nearly as radical or extreme at the time over 150 years ago.. Indeed, many in the New England area were supporters of their state succeeding from the United States. It was an open question dating back to the time of the American Revolution that was always a looming possibility. The South also attempted to leave the Union peacefully when they stated their secession.

The Confederacy was not some noble cause as some have portrayed, but it also isn't fair to view in the lens of 2017 sensibilities. The issue was far more complex and regionalism WAS viewed an American virtue. Hell, Abraham Lincoln wasn't even on the ballots in a number of states.

Americans in that time period in rural areas often had never ventured outside their own towns and states. Regionalism was very common as a result. Further, the South was invaded, how do you think people that lived in an area that was invaded would feel? Especially with limited communication and limited education. That doesn't even get into the fact that many soldiers on both sides were conscripted and forced to fight for whatever side the state they lived in supported.

As far as being "dealt with", Confederates were treated as American's after the war. Confederate widow's received pensions. Former soldiers could vote, buy and sell land and do what anyone else did. Indeed there were actually Civil War reunions that had both Union and Confederate soldiers present.

My point isn't that the South was morally right (certainly was not on the issue of slavery); rather that the context of "traitor" or "non-traitor" is complicated. The idea that it would be acceptable to kill someone conscripted into the Confederacy is absurd. If you want to punish colonels (which happened), so be it..... but wanting or thinking that it would be acceptable to slaughter a million soldiers because they were born in a particular region and fought for that particular region is beyond stupid.

19. amaru

amaru Member

"Dealt with"- see General Sherman's March to the Sea.

"I would make this war as severe as possible and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy"

-General Sherman

My take on it: I'm gonna beat your ass so viciously that you will regret the day you ever considered attacking us. You want war, we will show you f****** war.

#59 amaru, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Is it? Lee wasn't executed after the war. Lee was never considered a 'terrorist' or freedom fighter or traitor. This is a modern narrative born by those who seek revisionist history. Take a moment to read Nooks reply.

Washington on the other hand would have been swiftly executed if he was ever captured.