1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

False Equivalence: 74% of Political Killings By Right Wing Extremists Since 2007

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Left-wing extremism will increase as the current shitstorm continues. That tends to be the behavior of politically marginalized groups.

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'll notice that li'l bobby has spewed a stream of made up numbers and speculation about problems with the study's "methodology", without identifying actual errors.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'll notice that you've yet to make an intelligent argument for or against anything I've said....I can only assume that you are incapable and as such I pity you.

4. conquistador#11

I saw that the government took away funds from groups like "life after hate".

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

produce the study's list of attacks and how they are assigned. Dobro earlier tried to link to another study which had Neo-Nazis murdering pedophiles in prison as right wing extremism. It also had bank robberies by white supremacists as right wing extremism.

#25 tallanvor, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not to mention that it listed attacks by black supremacists as "right wing". It was pretty clear they were looking for a certain result and they moved things around or omitted things till they got it

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its very telling to me that when I read the study there isn't a table of every event and how it was categorized. This should be the very first thing in the appendix. I'll wait and see if Gifford can find it.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm generally pretty skeptical of all statistics like this, no matter which side of the debate they fall on. Most of these are extremely broad and inaccurate with how they assign motivations to people.

Person X was baptized as a catholic as a baby and never went to church again. He killed someone at age 30. File it under crimes by the Christian Right!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's much more likely that he'll just lash out emotionally with name calling, but it's nice of you to give him the benefit of the doubt.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I'll wait and see if li'l bobby or tallanvor can actually post some data that disproves the conclusions of the Anti-Defamation League study.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Shocking, holes get poked in something you post and you respond with nothing of substance to defend it.....yet pretend like there wasn't just holes poked in your post.

Pretty much what I'd expect from someone as limited as yourself.

When your study suggests that "The year 2016 was also unusual in that right-wing extremists did not dominate the murder statistics, as they have each year since the mid-1980s" it pretty much takes away all of it's credibility given that this statement is suggesting that in 2001 there were more murders by "right-wing extremists" than any other.....despite the fact that there was kind of a big thing that year that absolutely put another group on top.

Care to comment on that?

12. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Oh lord. This brainiac didn't realize the ADL report was on a study of DOMESTIC terrorism.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that "According to the Anti-Defamation League, right-wing extremists committed 74 percent of the 372 politically motivated murders recorded in the United States between 2007 and 2016." in no way implies that we're only talking about DOMESTIC politically motivated murders right?

14. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Someone is too busy driving the clown car to read the report that he's allegedly poking holes in.

NOTES ON METHODOLOGY AND SOURCES

THE ANTI-DEFAMATION LEAGUE’S CENTER ON EXTREMISM has compiled a list of over 1,000 known murders/killings by perpetrators associated with domestic extremist movements of all types since 1970—essentially the post-Civil Rights era. These are primarily murders committed by American extremists on U.S. soil, though a few cases involving American extremists murdering other Americans abroad (such as at Jonestown) are also included.

#34 gifford1967, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Amiga likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again I'm going to point out the second worst terrorist attack on US soil was carried out by a Righwing extremists in Oklahoma City. Just this week another Rightwing extremist tried to bomb another Federal builidng in Oklahoma City. We seem to have a collective amnesia about what happened on 4/19/1995.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lets beat up the study all we can. Sure... go for it.

However... lets say its not 3X as many Right Wing attacks. Maybe its just 2.2X or even 2X more... Would this report somehow being inaccurate or slightly inaccurate mean that we are all wrong about the growing concern of White Nationalism?

What is the point of trying to prove a point by picking apart the study? Seriously.. what point are you trying to make?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's also point out that the total sample of extremist related murders in a decade is on average is about the number of murders in Detroit on a given year....but sure, let's pretend that this 0.002% of murders in the country constitutes a "growing concern"

18. zksb09

zksb09 Member

News to me as well. Following your note, I looked him up on Wikipedia. He seems to have been some sort of black supremacist and associated with the Nation of Islam. So yes, right wing ideology.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that was sarcasm right? These threads can have so much stupid in them that it's hard to tell these days.

20. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I think you are confused. Its not the color of your skin that determines whether you are right wing or left wing. Its your ideology. Right wing ideology is more often associated with race supremacist points of view. And please do not throw words around like "stupid." It really takes away from your point of view.