1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Shabazz Muhammad. A Lock for the 1st Overall Pick in the 2013 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Johnson2000, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. I haven't really watched him because he's never played in a meaningful NBA game and who has time to watch middling EC teams.

The few times I have seen him, he did not impress. His stats are decent though. I wonder how many mpg he'll get playing behind Dwight.

2. basketballholic

Dunno. I think they trade him. But he is a great defender and he's one of the most athletic bigs in the Association.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Shabazz is an unrestricted free agent. Minnesota pulled his qualifying offer in order to clear room to sign Jeff Teague and Taj Gibson.

4. HardenVolumeOne

sorry to bump this thread, but how on earth did nbadraft.net know james harden who at the time was only in his 2 or 3rd year in the league and a 6th man at that could potentially become on the level of a kobe bryant. Like when i see nbadraft compare cade cunningham to jayson tatum and luka doncic. Is nbadraft saying jayson tatum has the ability of luka as well and the celtics need to make him the primary ball handler

Who cares that shabazz was a bust and is currently in china, my thing is how did nbadraft.net know that harden would be as a great a scorer as he turned out back in 2012 to put his name next to kobe. This was posted by the op in 2012 when harden was still a bench player. Ultimately nbadraft changed the shabazz muhammad comparison to nick young, but still did anybody else in nba circles at the time know that harden just needed a chance to run his own team to be kobe level. If yes, why was no other team trying to trade for him when the thunder was looking for a trade partner

I wanna know who is the next james harden level talent sitting on a bench somewhere in the league that we can steal for a few of picks we got in the harden trade

5. RocketsDraftTV

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Haven't gone back and read the whole thread, but if I remember correctly, one of the biggest issues was the dude's age was incorrect. He looked further along because he was several years older than what they had originally thought. I'm pretty sure it all came out during the pre-draft process. Reminds me a little of the overhype Marshon Brooks got. It's so difficult to be a consistent/efficient high volume scorer.

King1 likes this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yep. Not sure if you follow baseball but the Marlins had a lid named Abraham Nunez who was supposed to be the next Vladimir Guerrero. He was 27 instead of 21

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

6 years!!? I closely follow the Stros, but baseball is the most common sport that it takes place in (aside from maybe gymnastics/olympic sports). There are still rumors that Serge Ibaka is several years older than he claims, but basketball is a young man's game and one year can completely change a players trajectory, so I think it's a little harder to get away with.

9. King1

Yep. Crazy. Completely agree on the rest. I never really questioned Ibaka's age despite the rumors. Even if he was off by a year you couldn't tell.

T FOR 3!!! likes this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I thought Shabazz was just 20 instead of 19?

100% Ibaka is three years older than his listed age. He's always played a very physical game but not many NBA pros peak at ages 23 and 24.
    Everyone knows the ballad of Thon Maker, but I'm not sure if it was him being 23 on draft night or him having no talent, same goes for Yi Jianlan.

A more famous rumor in baseball is Albert Pujols, points for: he was the best natural player in baseball at age 21, and fell off a cliff after age 30. The rumor is that he's 3 years older than his listed date.
    Points against: It would mean Albert's 45.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Yeah, I googled it later yesterday and saw that it was only 1 year. I do think it's less to worry about with a big man. Chet is almost exactly a year older than Jabari and that never really bothered anyone.

Serge stayed effective thanks to his added shooting from outside, but he went from a dunk contest participant and blocking 3.7 shots per game :eek:, to averaging 1.9 bpg when he was still listed as 26 years old. He made .8 threes a game that season, so it wasn't because he was suddenly being used on the perimeter a ton either.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, he said he was 19, but was really 20.

13. King1

Pujols is older. A scout said he uncovered it. He's still had an unreal career although I think it's obvious he juiced