1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

T-Mac "Anybody can win a championship, Everybody can't get in the hall of fame"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 29, 2017.

?

Is T-mac right?

1. No he's not right, I'm with Tinman

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Yes he's right, I'm with swyyyguy

111 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

These people aren't just 'anybody" TMac.

[​IMG]

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Problem is he couldn't even get out of the first round.

3. raining threes

T-Mac should shut up

# Loser

4. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I'm fairly confident most of us that enjoyed watching TMac also understand his flaws.

Who is claiming that he was on par with Hakeem? Literally nobody. This whole "in 5 trillion years advanced beings will find no evidence of TMac leading the Rockets past the first round" shtick is ridiculous.

Yes tinman we know that. Nobody said that he did, but please stop acting like he was some universal force that completely prevented our team from advancing. As if it was a foregone conclusion... He and those teams had their shot and they failed. It was disappointing, and the way it all ended was cringeworthy to say the least.

He was a great player, and he never took the team where we wanted. You can be both. A lot of that was his fault and some of it wasn't. But the incessant hate is just weird.

#224 smitheygerard, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    MoonBus and rockpileindisma like this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You're just finding the cases where you can make your argument and avoiding the one s that clearly shows Tmac lacked. I'm talking about the first series against Utah. The second year it was pretty blatant they were going to lose that series. The first year they should have won, and I don't know what ESPN said but it was definitely not all for Utah. We had home court, and a 2-0 lead. Game 7 we had a lead coming into the final minutes and Mcgrady was hesitant.

Then you make an argument on numbers when it's appropriate but when you're talking about the Detroit series you avoid the numbers. Pretty sure Tmac shot like crap the last few games of that series.

I'm not saying Mcgrady was expected to win every time. But to talk the way he does he should have won at least one series. I just think he lacked the mental toughness. Dude wasn't a fighter, and considering how well he's been treated by fans and the organization, just be humble and don't blame the team

Patience and tycoonchip like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yao gets a pass for whooping Portlands ass in the first round and trying to play when he was legitamitely injured.

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Shane, Chuck Hayes, Dikembe, Rafer, and Juwan Howard were decent role players. As I said, none of them are Klay Thompson or Draymond Green, but they should have been adequate to win a first round series against the Jazz with home court and up 2-0.

For their part, T-Mac and Yao should have been the best two players on the court, and in theory were better than anyone on the Jazz. The Jazz also trotted out a fair number of "average" role players like Matt Harpring, Ronnie Brewer, and Derek Fisher. They were not some sort of Superteam.

Tha_Dude and tinman like this.
  8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Their best players were absolute nightmares for us. Williams destroyed our PGs, Boozer got away with 1st degree murder, and Okur was kind of a scrub but Yao couldn't guard him on the perimeter. Not to mention he made a living out of flopping and getting Yao in foul trouble.

Yes we still should have beat them. I'm just saying.

Patience likes this.
  9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I'm not going to turn this into a Harden subject and I hope you won't either but simply stated....

If I understand you correctly, you are saying Harden can quit on the team and play atrocious, while Tmac plays his heart out in the playoffs and increase every category, but Harden gets a pass because he advanced....?

Yung-T likes this.
  10. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

That's pretty much what he's saying yes. By no means am I bashing Harden though. We at least made the playoffs every single year he's been on the team. And that Lin/Asik team had no business taking OKC to 6.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You got my respecks as a poster. Its everyone loading up a bit much on the anti-McGrady sentiment where its he only faced a team of 5th graders and still lost

The aging rust bucket Kirilenko was just 26-27 YEARS OLD in those playoff series. Same age as John Wall and James Harden now, younger than Curry and Durant who dont appear to be slowing down. Kirilenko annoying as he was, was 3 time All-NBA defense and actual ALL-Star once when they faced.

I'm not sure why its needing to win people over SO much about McGrady's shortcomings. Fans DO feel the suffering of his failures. Less Rockets fans would put McGrady in the HOF than the non-Rockets people that actually did. I can't forgive McGrady for picking the Lakers to beat his OWN team, how pathetic is that so screw that guy. And on that even the owner, the GM, the team have moved on from the McGrady drama. Its obvious some are immersed into some state of bitterness, and plenty others are more casual about the experiences.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy always associated himself to whatever is the best situation for him.
    He said publicly he wish never left Toronto.

Yao has the same situation as Tmac, but he never says stuff to the public or wish he was on another team.

In fact Yao said he's a Rocket for life.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden's behavior was based on his youth and experience. He's definitely learned from his mistakes .
    Tracy was already a mature player when the Rockets got him and he's had a reputation for leaving when things don't go his way.

Also Harden ran out of gas last year, in my opinion. However, Tmac looks fresh because he plays less than 7 games in the playoffs each year.

The true standard is Hakeem Olajuwon who plays both sides of the court every game every time.

Maybe my standards are too high, but I joined cause Clutch named it after Clutch City. His standards are the highest.
    Clutch City is the highest.

Patience likes this.
  15. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Lol, so basically you have to live up to Hakeem Olajuwon to meet your standards. Got it.

I'll hold my breath starting now...

(**** this may have been a mistake)

[​IMG]

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol yea Harden ran out of gas my but*. Dude straight up was trying to prove a point or thought it was pointless flying out to golden state, period. Now he has no excuses, I'm a rockets fan so I hope you are right about him..

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This right here says it all. Fans who still continue to bash the role players Tmac had and find excuses for his inability to even advance past the FIRST round are the people who believed Westbrook deserved the MVP over James Harden. It was on Tmac to elevate his teammates. It was on him. He just failed.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fixed the post! haha.

Seriously tho Ffffffff Tmac and whatever he has to say.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm the one avoiding things?
    I posted the names of all Orlando&Detroit players, their drastic difference in talent level & performance and also mentioned McGrady's exact numbers for that series, yet the only thing you come up with is saying that it's still somehow on McGrady, without providing any coherent reason.

You also want me to focus on one or two games vs Utah where McGrady played bad, but completely ignore me posting the fg% and 3pt% of his teammates over an entire series. Care to tell me why?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sorry, but your "it was on him" line when the guy put up historical PERs and had multiple teammates averaging abysmal numbers makes even less sense than the Westbrook cheerleaders wanting MVP for a triple double season.

You guys don't even understand how little you make sense when it comes to basketball, making a team sport solely about an individual when it suits your agenda.