1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

alternative or natural cancer treatments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jul 29, 2017.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Do you believe in alternative or natural cancer treatments?

A coworker's father has a form of cancer. The chemo treatments are not working. His father read a book The Truth About Cancer and now wants to look into alternative treatments. MY coworkers family is split on what to do. Some say what can it hurt. Others says modern medicine is the only way to go.

Personally I'm not sure which way to go. I like to think I have faith in modern medicine, but I also believe there is more money made treating the problem than curing the problem.

If there are alternative treatments I have no clue how to find them. There are stories out there of them working, but I have never heard of anyone that I know or a friend of a friend that has tried a alternative treatment.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If it's not a bad blood cancer and the patient is willing to make lifestyle and health the top priority natural definitely works. Clean eating plus natural suppliments is what I would do if it were me. Obviously when mortality is staring you in the eye and the doctor recommends something most people go with that.

Chemo and Radiation even if it works will change you forever. Lot's of times it just makes things worse

hvic likes this.
  3. tested911

tested911 Member

This might be snake oil but google "documentary on vitamin c and cancer". I believe the documentary is call food matters.
    Basically Extremely high doses of Vitamin C intravenously.
    If I or a loved one had cancer I would try every damn thing in the book.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Straight from the Cancer.gov website.
    https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/vitamin-c-pdq

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

My mom passed away from Cancer in April of this year. We had her on a carrot juice, about 4 cups per day. It worked pretty well, stabilized her condition and she had some days where she felt great. Unfortunately she started having real bad constipation and one of my family members said the carrots were causing that. I didn't think so but she quit the juicing and a month later she passed away as things just went down hill after that.

I still believe in carrot Juice, there is a book written by Ann Cameron who had stage 4 and has been cured now for many years after taking this approach. If it ever happened to me I would do it.

Jontro likes this.
  7. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Have watched two friends pass from cancer, One from Brain cancer. He didnt fight it and was gone in 7 weeks. The other Pancreatic cancer, fought it for over a year and a half. In the end he looked like a mummy pulled from a tomb. I made up my mind if I get the big C that cant be cured I will load up the truck with some really good scotch and go winter fishing in a tent.

Best of luck with the battle.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Saw someone being pushed in a wheelchair out of Vitamin Shoppe in rice village yesterday. had the whole cancer hat thing going and just wondered how much money they blew out of desperation in there.

ATXNekko likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Science shows us so many different kinds of cancer (and I don't just mean locations), and it also shows that given tumors themselves mutate and change even during treatment, that I think anyone selling a magic bullet (either from conventional or alternative medicine) should be regarded with suspicion. Nearly everything you can imagine has been studied. (And I mean no offense to some suggestions in this thread, which -- who knows? -- might have worked great for specific kinds of cancer in specific cases, even if by strong placebo effect of well being, which is worth a lot actually.)

Ask your doctors about % outcomes and whether she or he is following recent studies for the specific kind of cancer involved.

I understand wanting off-the-grid therapies, b/c things like chemo and radiation can be incredibly life-changing all on their own, and not in a good way. That's why they call cancer the emperor of all maladies, after all.

jae713 and Rashmon like this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Never discount the placebo effect. Cancer is tough. My graduate work was in cancer therapeutics, namely Pt based ones. I'm weary of "natural" or "wholistic" treatments for the most part, but I don't discount the good they can do. As long as it doesn't interfere with regular treatments I wouldn't completely dismiss them. Remember, a lot of people lose to cancer not just because the disease wins, but because they can't handle the treatments. Whatever you can use to bolster your resolve will help.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im in this realm of an answer. Clean eating and Marijuanas natural cannabinoids have helped out one of my customers so much that she quit going to chemo and started to grow her hair back, actually working, and being able to eat and digest food(healthy choices of course) and shes never seemed happier, livelier or healthier. All this should be considered with a grain of salt but man, in my eyes, shes a walking miracle from when I saw here during chemo.

12. shorerider

shorerider Member

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't believe that non Western medicinal treatments work, but I shut my mouth every time because some people legitimately see huge results from the placebo effect.

Also even if there are no positive results, hope is good to give to someone that is dying.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

so sorry for your loss op. i have had relatives pass on due to cancer. a family member was cured from breast cancer a few years ago and went overseas for treatment. it was pure science.

as for alternative, the funny thing is i've only heard stories about it working. a family of a friend, a friend of a friend, or "someone i know" crowd. but when asked they will swear to the 7 heavens that it works. they've seen it.

i myself has been a recipient of alternative medication. tho most have failed (miserably), there are 1-2 that has worked. i think most of these places are bullschitte and they prey on desperate uneducated masses. reminds me of the movie man on the moon when andy kauffman went to the philippines for treatment and turned out it was all just for show, which is exactly what many of these places are, for show.

#14 Jontro, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The fact that some people have to ask this question makes me smh.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

Do you believe in alternative or natural cancer treatments?
    the answer is yes but its a little trickier than a straight out answer ..

almost every cancer patient had searched-experienced some sort of ACM
    it's already used in palliative care for cancer patients aiming not to treat the patients but to improve/enhance their life quality and/or prolong their survivals .

here's a link to a scientific institutional research to this area http://cam.cochrane.org/cochrane-reviews-related-complementary-medicine

it's worth noting that the most common side effects to some exotic fruits-vege are early renal failure due to potassium concentrations from what i've seen or maybe due to the lack of control over quality

if i was in this situations i would probably abuse the turmeric

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i remember in my intro to bio class, the prof told us to look left and right and that statistically half of the class will get cancer. don't know if the number is pulled out of his ass or based on real data. but if it were true that means half of this board will succumb to cancer. what a chilling thought.

18. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

19. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Not a doctor but have you looked into Immunotherapies?

Not sure if one is developed for the specific cancer but worth asking your doc about.

Essentially immunotherapy alters your bodies immune systems to try and be able to identify and attack the cancer cells

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

There's too much meat and dairy in the western diet. Cardiovascular disease or cancer will be the end of most of us because of it. It's that simple...but extremely difficult to change the way people want to eat especially when the government is telling them that it's healthy. Pharmaceutical companies and doctors gots to get paid...
    Sorry for your loss :(