1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya don't see it for either side. USF was a really good landing spot for Strong. He'll recruit well and will have a few seasons to figure things out. The man looked completely defeated leaving Austin.

For Ole Miss, they gotta get a good in game coach. Freeze recruited as well as anyone in the country. The talent is there.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

4. Bob Barker 007

We have a decent shot at sweeping the top 6 players in Texas, which would mean eventual commitments from Cook and Eagles. We are headed for a Top 5 recruiting class.

[​IMG]

Hustle Town likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

#9546 don grahamleone, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Turbo likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Green is a monster pickup. Texas camps and recruitimg events are taking on another level.

7. Hustle Town

I was very high on Herman when he first started at Texas (y'all already know), but his ability to recruit has exceeded my expectations. The staff has blitzed the state and gotten kids to fully buy in. No offense to Strong, but his recruiting always felt a little precarious to me. He also seemed uncomfortable building relationships in Texas.

8. Icehouse

9. Hustle Town

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  10. Bob Barker 007

I actually mentioned over the weekend that we could get the Top 6 players in Texas if we got Eagles and Cook as well. Domino #1 has fallen, now we await Domino #2. I've been on the Herman train since day 1. He's shown he can recruit with the best. Now let's get some wins!

Hustle Town likes this.
  11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It's very nice to finally see an upgrade to the west side of the stadium. It's not anywhere close to watching the newer North and East side but at least it's a little nicer. The picture makes it look a little plastic but maybe it looks better in person. It has a sort of Solider field or Yankee stadium look.

Apparently there is work everywhere in the stadium. The new LED scoreboard is already in operation. Herman was on the radio this morning saying a player left some trash in the lounge and that means the entire team will have to wait an additional day to use their new home locker room. They'll be in the visitor's locker room when they report on Monday until at least Wednesday. Maybe that's just cover because he's not sure if the Locker Room will be done. They are still working on it. How much would it suck for a player to see a video highlight on their locker monitor of them ****ing up?

#9552 Brando2101, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  12. Buck Turgidson

I loved Herman's quote recently about the UT student-athlete-whatever-committee's annual award, which has to do with community service hours and the like. He was told that the football team had never won it, ever, so now they have a "300 point lead", whatever that means. Herman said, "Yeah, of course doing community service is great in-and-of-itself, but if they're going to keep score, we're gonna win the damn thing."

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It looks like Herman has a similar quality to some great coaches in sports such as Belichick, Lombardy and Pops. He can be a total ******* and still be likable and respected. I'm not saying he is going to be an all-time great, I'm just saying he has a unique quality.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Link?

15. Buck Turgidson

Was in the Statesman 2 or 4 days ago, in a great article about him interacting with the HS coaches in Texas. If you feel like finding it post the whole thing, it's solid.

Icehouse and Hustle Town like this.
  16. Hustle Town

#9557 Hustle Town, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. Buck Turgidson

That's the one. I love this too:

February, March and April are now all-access months at UT for Texas high school coaches. For those who come to Austin, you can watch all the tape you want and sit in all the Longhorns meetings. “Right next to Malik Jefferson,” said Bob Shipley [yep that's their dad], UT’s director of high school relations.

Really? Sit in the meetings? Attend every spring practice? That flies in the face of some coaches’ thinking. Some believe they’re guarding state secrets.

“I feel it’s our obligation at the University of Texas that if the high school coaches want and need information and it’s going to make them better, we have a duty to provide that to them,” Herman said.

18. Icehouse

That's it. Thanks to you and Buck.

So this is how we are landing recruits.

Hustle Town likes this.
  19. Hustle Town

Herman knows how to play the game.