1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

video card question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rfrocket, Jul 21, 2017.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Hey guys!

Have a question about an a 256mb video card.
    Thinking about buying a Hp Elite 8300 PC SFF I5-3470 Quad Core.
    2 options, 1 with integrated graphics alone,
    and the other with that plus "Dual AMD/ATI HD 2400 256MB Video cards (Supports up to 4 LCD monitors).

I'm not a computer gamer (& don't use extra monitors) so my question is will those 256mb graphics cards help ANY on just watching regular hd video?
    Because if not I won't get them, especially since the psu is only 240w in those and hard to find sff ones.
    Although I don't know how much juice they pull.

thanks in advance for all attempts at help.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you don't play games and don't have multiple monitors and only want HD for one monitor, then I'm sure all new integrated graphics would suffice. You probably can save money by not upgrading.

We do kinda need to know what size monitor you intend to buy though.

The video card manufacturer (even integrated chip) might actually have a technical spec of monitor size and resolution it supports.

Daddy Long Legs and rfrocket like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah, you dont need a video card if you are not going to game. Onboard graphics are good enough for you.

Save your money for weed or coke etc. etc..

rfrocket likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

A 256mb graphics card.

Wow. Is this 2003?

5. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Ok great advice.
    heyp, Zboy, thanks a lot for the help.
    Zboy and RR, lol.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Just to add.. Integrated is fine even for multi monitors on newer intel/amds (I use an i5 notebook for spreadsheets that's docked for 2 2560x1440p monitors) As far as HD video you won't have any issues, and that video card 256mb (ouch).. Honestly sounds worse than integrated on the i5.

On a side note I'm currently using an i5 2500k desktop for recording 6 HD shows on cablecard setup and watching locally and streaming to 2 extenders at the same time, no issues. Recording cable HD and watching is more intensive than a single HD stream so you will be more than set with that i5.

rfrocket likes this.
  7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks CCZ!

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

if you don't use dual or more monitors, you are missing out on life lol.