1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I am not interested in any of these starters. If it's not an ace or number 2 what is the point?

Only way I get a starter before the deadline is if Keuchel has a set back during his rehab assignments.

None of the names being discussed are pitching better than Morton, Peacock, or Fiers. Plus we have Collin McHugh coming back soon.

I want a bullpen arm.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Other than when he was hurt last year, Gray has been a #2 pretty consistently in his career, and his numbers this season are in line with his 2013-2015 numbers.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Gray's pitching better than all of them but he has the injury issues from last year that are worrisome.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Gray might not be an ace but he is a #1 pitcher on a major league team, he would be top 3 here. After McCullers last night and our terrible bullpen showing, if we can get Gray and keep most of our prospects then we can go get Britton/Hand/another solid reliever (I liked an earlier poster's chart of 8 attributes they wanted to see). If it's DeGrom or Stroman, get them, if I had any other choice, it would be a cheaper Gray and a solid reliever..

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If we do get Gray who do we run out for our rotation?

Keuchel
    McCullers
    Gray
    ?
    ?

Fiers/Morton/McHugh/Peacock/Musgrove?

6. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

McHugh and fiers.
    Morton and peacock can go to the pen. Musgrove sent down.

Silver Fox likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If McHugh is completely healthy he's the 4th, and Morton/Fiers would be between who's been pitching better at that time. Although I would expect it to basically be a tandem start. I think Morton could be an elite long reliever.

#1127 Snake Diggit, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The key is knowing which ones to hold onto and which ones to move.

I agree with you on Musgrove.

Luhnow believed in Musgrove and wouldn't deal him last year and now his value is low.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Joe Sheehan (former Baseball Prospectus writer now with Sports Illustrated) was just on the radio in Bryan/College Station

#1129 tellitlikeitis, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    texans1095 likes this.
  10. htownbball

htownbball Member

Keep in mind, outside of last year, Gray's previous 2 years were 200 IP and a 3.00 ERA which would certainly be considered #1 type numbers.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is not easy. Astros do a good job of developing so trading guys early would be throwing away any value added through development. Typically, MLB teams trade more for great prospects in the upper levels. Trading guys in the lower levels just isn't going to get a good MLB player with control.

That said, Astros have done a great job of building team and trading just the right amount. Now that they have built a solid MLB team with a lot of control, they are going to trade even more prospects, but I expect it will mostly be guys in AA or AAA that Astros have no need.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I would start a package around Martes but not include Whitley or tucker in the deal.

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't easy... it is VERY hard.

Identifying talent is hard.... player development is hard...... and of course separating the very good from the okay MLB players is hard.

Something else to consider....... let's say that the Astros keep Martes, Tucker, Whitley and Perez..... and out of that group one of them becomes a star player. The Astros will have gotten a star player with 6-7 years old control at pennies on the dollar and will be worth a tremendous amount.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would be happy with getting one star out of that group (though would hope to get a reliever or an average player as well). I assume there is going to be a lot more misses than hits, but the hits are usually worth several misses (especially pitchers). Old adage is it takes 10 pitching prospects to get 2 starters.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of this is on point.

But at the end of the day, their faced with this season where the offense, record, and logistics of the league is clearly good enough to make them a favorite to win the World Series now.

If they don't make any moves, and they end up coming short due to some of the possible weakness' that are being looked at now... while hanging on to all the 10 or so prospects in order to get 2 possible starters... it does open up a ton of questioning as to what's the point of any of this.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd be pretty disappointed if they don't make a move to add a starting pitcher because they're holding on to prospects too tightly.

SWTsig likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Winning the World Series is difficult. Judging a front office by one year probably isn't very wise.

That said, I'm confident Luhnow will address needs without having to trade 10 prospects. LF and DH are only true weaknesses other than more pitching is always better. LF looks like Marwin, Jake, or Fisher can man. DH is veteran leadership. Gray may be only starter that is a true upgrade left. Not sure it will take Tucker to get him. It shouldn't take Tucker to get the relievers that are available.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It depends on the prospects and who we'd get back. Given what it would have taken, I'd have love to have added Sean Doolittle to replace Tony Sipp.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you in theory...... but the problem is that there is no one special that is available.

At this point I would rather they go all in on someone like Britton or Osuna or Wilson or Brach.

juicystream likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think we have the prospects/assests to get Britton or Wilson (maybe Hand) AS WELL AS Gray. Either that or all in on Degrom or Stroman.