1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 1, 2017.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We've already waited a year to bring Zhou over. We can start his development here now while still trying construct the roster. If he plans out, it helps our depth tremendously in a couple of years. We don't even know who we're targeting with the MLE yet, so let's not knock the Zhou signing for destroying our opportunities yet.

Yung-T and douglasreedy1 like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is there a before and after picture? I mean there are supermodels that think this guy is thin.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  4. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Come on now Bams going to be a above average player.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I hope this guy turns out to be good.

We need a break in terms of a late draft pick turning into a real player.

This guy def has intriguing potential.

He's tall and long as hell, he can move and run and also has a jump shot.

Could be good could be bad.

Let's hope for us that he's good.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If his heart is anything like Yao's, I'm super excited. He'll do what it takes to make the Rockets better and we'll need to make up a song for him. Ala:

Where are you, Chase?

D-rock likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ain't no changing that chassis.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Chinese rap tho

9. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

So what? He will put on some weight or bulk. A little might be enough. This isn't the physical days of NBA yesteryear. It's a finesse game now. Yes he absolutely has to get stronger. But his body type does not have to be a death knell for his career in today's NBA.

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He is rail thin. Not nba ready yet but could be an interesting prospect. Good bust potential but has the potential to be decent.

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Can't bust when you are a second rounder. He is a 13th roster spot. The rocks are investing in him tho, so they think he can pan out. Don't expect Yao guys, he is not, nor ever will be Yao. He can be a really good weak side and PnR/Switch defender, and can shoot.

D-rock likes this.
  13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If he can get you 20-25 min and 10-15pts 6-8 reb, he would have been a great 2nd rounder.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he turns out to be a mediocre NBA player, that is a success..........anything more positive is just gravy.

Well, 2nd rounder if he doesn't make it.

D-rock and RollingWave like this.
  15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I would not put stock in the rebounding. If there is one stat that most likely will not translate, it is that one.

He isn't a great leaper. He is very tall, and has an amazing standing reach. But he will get boxed out hardcore (if they still preach that in the NBA).

I'll expand. Yao averaged 19 rebs his last 2 years in the CBA, Zhou averaged 10. Yao averaged 9.9 in the NBA, in over 30 minutes a game. Yao is a much, much, infinitely much, bigger guy than Zhou.

16. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

They don't box out much in the NBA these days, especially not in the regular season. (most team don't really try for offensive rebounds much anymore. unless it just drops near them. ) and even in CBA zhou mostly get his rebounds tip toeing from behind other guys a lot. I think his general approach has improved a little this year in that regards in that at least he tries to actually comes down with it now instead of the fancy poke it to someone (usually ends up being other team's guy for a strait layup. )

He doesn't have much burst off one feet in traffic that is true, or just explosiveness in general (not a shocker given his physique ). the more impressive part with him (other than the length ) is usually the body control aspect, he's pretty smooth and under control most of the time. perhaps in terms of rebound the more interesting part for him is that while he doesn't get up immediately as fast as the most explosive guys, in terms of multiple jumps situation he's actually very good because of his ability general stay balanced.

Usually guys this lanky is very awkward, he's not.
    [​IMG]
    ( euro step AND finish with off hand? impressive coordination. )

Now in the playoffs teams might be able to just send a smaller guy and always box him out, but hey that even worked against Tristan Thompson so we might be over thinking this right now.

As an offensive complimentary player he's probably going to be fine, anyone that can run / catch / finish and has NBA size probably can score under MDA.

[​IMG]
    ( run / catch and finish? check .)

the make or break for him is if he can defend in the NBA, I'm not even really that concerned about the low post aspect as that's more of a matchup issue that can be avoided, his defense is space can be really good or really bad . there are plays where he looked really good rotating and then there are plays he looks like a total statue, my general take on him is that he doesn't really consistently stay down especially on close outs to the 3 point line. and when your 7'2, even if your center of gravity is up just a little bit people are going to go right by you.

[​IMG]

( good rotate and then defend a switch against Dominque Jones is pretty good, you can he does get bumped off pretty significantly but stayed balanced and blocked the shot anyway. the bigger trouble is when he steps out to 3, it's really hit and miss and right now it's often more miss than hit. but it is true if his feet is set he can stay with small guys in space. )

D-rock, ECHKG, Rocket Freak and 3 others like this.
  17. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

:thumbs up:

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting. I guess Hakeem is getting more involved with the Rockets than I thought. I was surprised to see him with the team in Salt Lake City.

20. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I LIKE IT!! I LIKE IT A LOT!!