1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wolves acquire Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2017.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I read in realgm that Boston offered only their 2018 Boston pick for Butler.
    I don't know if it's true but if it is...LOL!
    No surprise no trade ever gets done with him unless it's a bargain.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

He's got a player option after the 18-19 season. Would like to see him come home to Houston at that point.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't see the problem with that? People really want to see imagined trades of multiple picks turning into blockbuster deals. But Ainge is in control. He was the 2nd best team in East last season, which is ahead of schedule.

I would understand this angle if they were in the bottom 4 East teams. But he is competing at the top of the East and each year adding a potential franchise player and tons of cap room to play with. Why would he compromise? He just added the #3 pick to the team with the 4th best record which is not an aging team. He knows none of his guys are really franchise players. He knows Jimmy Butler is roughly as close to being a franchise player as Isaiah Thomas. But a #3 pick this year or a top 5 pick next year CAN become a franchise player, if you pick in that range often enough.

Another thing is, regardless of how we compare Butler and Hayward, these two are not great fits on the floor together. So do you go for #3 and Hayward, or just Butler? Clear choice there too. Maybe Hayward is already secretly a Celtic.

Wolves got a great deal, but no one should be second guessing Ainge. That franchise is in better position for the next 10 years than all but the Warriors.

Vivi likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't think that's true lol, come on...

And i don't know if that's the case, but i read a lot of Boston fans pissed with the Bulls cause according to some rumors Gar supposedly asked Ainge the 3rd pick and the 2018 Brooklyn 1st, when Ainge said no, he took the 7th, Dunn and LaVine which is a lot worse package according to them. I mean, this is somehow credible, but a Boston 2018 1st rounder? No way lol

#124 Vivi, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

WUT???!!!

Sixers with two franchise players in Embiid, Simmons and great lead guard in Fultz

Wolves with franchise player Towns, All-NBA two-way player Butler and one of the best second-third options in Wiggins for the next decade alongside elite coaches

Any of the players mentioned in my post are better that anything Celtics have now and probably will have in the near future, because of Ainges indecisions

Celtics were almost swept by disfunctional eight seed just 7 weeks ago. Come on

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Celtics went to the ECF and finished #1 in the East in the regular season ALREADY.

Wolves and Philly are certainly up there, but faaaaaar more question marks. Wolves and Philly missed the playoffs, and a lot of the assets that we're hoping develop have not proven themselves yet. Celtics, prior to drafting #3, finished ahead of Lebron James in the East and went to ECF. They were not supposed to be this good, this soon. That team is clicking, just like the Warriors were clicking better than anticipated.

Certainly, if Philly's guys meet 80% of expectations and Embiid plays 70% of his future games, Philly will be a terror too.

As for the Wolves, let's see. I don't believe Thibs can coach a team to a title unless talent is overwhelmingly to his advantage. Also, Rubio is a major liability and I mean that in the most genuine way. I do not believe you can win a playoff series with Rubio at PG unless the other 4 guys are astronomical scorers or he develops an average 3pt shot.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. DMO (DJ remix)

Butler would been great on Celtics, don't see why him and Hayward would not mesh, both can play offball just fine as well. It's hard to speculate how much Celtics would have to pay or what they were offering, but the point is that, they got IT to resign next year, unless they trade him, but he seems to be committed there, given they gave him big opportunity, so they need to make a splash this or next offseason at latest, flexibility is cool and so are assets, but you gotta cash in at some point, there's just not that many superstars that are being shopped, so they need to act. 1st they traded Fultz (well the 1st pick, but you get the idea), they were going to pick? Jackson, but he did not want to be in unknown situation so he refused a workout, leading the Celtics to pick Tatum, now, what if Both or 1 of Fultz or/and Jackson become superstars, which many believe they got greater potential than Tatum.

It just feels like Celtics are going around the bush instead going for damn bush.

Homey the Clown likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Boston would not offer the #3 overall this year nor the Nets' pick next year for Butler. Boston is more worried about picks than winning.

heypartner likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure, YOU might want to see him here. But HE doesn't give a **** about you or his "home" of Houston.

11. Homey the Clown

Dwayne Wade f'ed up. If he didn't like playing with the young players this season, he's in for a treat next season. Bulls are screwed.

I have no idea what the Celtics/Ainge are doing.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What a subtle DICK thing to say. Unsolicited critic of another GM. Ainge and McHale keep saying dickish things and no one bats an eye. It's been too long since either has had a punch to the face. They used to get em' all the time. Someone needs to give them both a REMINDER.

slothy420 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

making $24 million while barely playing will probably cheer him up

btw the celtics/ainge are in no rush to do anything. no idea why people think they have to just make moves just because. if they don't see a deal they like they're in a position to sit back easily. they're still going to be a good team with good prospects next year. oh and add they have the nets pick again who are probably going to be the worst team in the league

#133 YOLO, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    DMO (DJ remix) likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is the glass half full argument.

The glass half empty argument is, yes they finished first, in a crappy conference, after the clearly best team in the conference cakewalked through the regular season. Then they would have likely lost in the first round but for a key injury to the opposing team's player. Then they almost lost in the second round but for the opposing team blowing multiple big leads. Then they got decimated in the ECF, and somewhat confusingly, only won the 1 game there when their best player went down. They have a bunch of really good players with a really really good coach who seem to overachieve every year but have no real shot. They have no truly dominant playoff superstar type players. They have draft pick assets out the wazoo, but have used them on the likes of Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and/or hedging for more draft picks down the road.

Look if Fultz wasn't the clear cut transformational player, and they had Tatum #1 throughout (as they have now claimed), then good for them for getting more value out of that top pick. But as solid a GM as Ainge has been, he hasn't drafted any star players ever.

I mean look at the 76ers. That city is f'ing jazzed the f up and I just heard a Brett Brown interview where they've described this move up to #1 as pivotal and transformative as a turning point. It's all because they got Fultz.

Is he going to be that great, or should we be more excited about Jayson Tatum?

Got me... though I do know if this was the Rockets instead of the Celtics, we'd be asking questions like - are they really trying to win now, or just hedging their future because this is still the GSW/Cavs league, so they want to stay good now, and stay good later, but haven't really taken any big swings to make a huge change? And we'd be pretty pissed about trading back... for what honestly is likely to be the Kings pick in the 2019 draft [which Philly owns and would go to Boston if it was the better of the Philly picks in 2019, which I suspect it will be as I think Philly can make the playoffs in 2019]. We'd be questioning DM's draft skills, because DM like Ainge hasn't exactly hit home runs at the top of the draft. Remember, Ainge is a dude that really, seriously considered trading multiple future picks (Nets picks) for Justice Winslow two years back.

See my point?

Would I have trade the #3 or the Nets pick next year for Butler? Probably not....
    BUT, Ainge loves to wheel and deal. You're telling me he couldn't have perhaps turned the #3 into the #5/#10 pick, or something else that would have allowed him to keep half the value of the #3 pick and use half the value to get Butler?

just my two cents...

15. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Thibs pretty much got the team he wants now, right? He got the player he developed in Chicago, so Butler is very familiar with his system... so don't be surprised if they end up as a top 6-7 in the western conference. Get ready ya'll, the Wolves will be howling soon. Lowkey I'm excited because with KAT's rise of dominance last year, the addition and maturity of Butler to mentor immature Wiggins and soon to be dominant KAT is going to be pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The dickish thing here would be to say that Minnesota did not give up a lot. Butler is a good player, so "giving up a lot" for him would be a pretty reasonable decision. He also said both teams made a good deal.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sixers guys can turn out to be great. But Embiid's health is a question. Simmons, too. And then neither Simmons nor Fultz has played a minute of NBA basketball yet.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No question that the Wolves have a dangerous Top 3 in the lineup. One of the most talented top 3 in the league.

Warriors, Cavs and Wolves are probably the most talented Top 3s as currently constructed. Probably with the Wolves is the rest of the roster isn't aligned correctly, but they can definitely get there.

There is no reason the Wolves can't contend for the WCF in the next 3 years. The struggle for them will be keeping their team together.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I've always been a Wade fan. I thin
    I've always been a fan of Wade and still think he has something left in the tank in a critical win or go home type of a game when Harden doesn't have it. This might be crazy but packaging Gordon/Anderson and somebody else to get Wade might not be a bad idea.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Minny got next.

Wolves 76ers 2020 NBA Finals