1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2017 NBA Finals] Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sajan, May 12, 2017.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed May 31, 2017.
  1. GSW 4-0

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. GSW 4-1

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. GSW 4-2

29 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. GSW 4-3

12 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. CLE 4-0

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. CLE 4-1

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. CLE 4-2

29 vote(s)
    24.4%
  8. CLE 4-3

19 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I guess I don't get it.

It would make more sense for people to b**** about all other series except this one. At least the Cavs have somewhat of a chance, right?

2. amaru

amaru Member

The only question now is will Cleveland win a game?

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nope. Zero chance.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

You can say what you want. But the fact is the game is a watered down version of itself. It's less physical, less competitive & you can literally see guys giving up on their respective teams. The problem with the younger fans is they want to believe the NBA started with Lebron James. But it didn't. It didn't even start with MJ. But atleast 80's & 90's fans watched the old clips of guys before our time and saw none of them had footwork like MJ. None of them had a unstoppable go to move like Jordan did. All the new fans do is watch ESPN & compare analytic stats, then say LEBRON IS THE GREATEST. Why? "Because his plus/minus is off the charts!!!!!!".

If Lebron loses this year and decides to form another "superteam" elsewhere, I'm sure you would have ZERO problems with that. But to me that's the character of a champion

5. VBG

VBG Member

I dunno. It's also watching the greatest team of all time which is pretty interesting. And they're actually playing hard. An insane collection of talent offensively and defensively who are also brilliantly coached.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you enjoy great passing, great shooting and very good defense, then you would enjoy watching the Warriors, that is the reason why I watch them, is dumping the ball to your top player and everyone clears for him to work his magic great basketball? Basketball is a team sport, and GS a great "TEAM".

MoonBus likes this.
  7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Nah I haven't watched a single game since the Rockets lost.

We all have different motives, I watch for the competition, not the beauty of a basketball team. If I wanted to see that I'd just watch re-runs of the 13-14 finals. Competition wise these have probably been the worst playoffs I can remember. I probably won't watch either unless there's a game 7, not because I'm reluctant but because i'd rather do other things.

#667 Obito, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

To each his own I guess, nothing wrong with that.

Obito likes this.
  9. Mr. Space City

Durant was one of the best scorers ever before this series.

HE'S A 4 TIME SCORING CHAMPION

if you're a 4 time scoring champion, you're one of the best scorers ever.

Durant is not the scoring champ this year because he has so much talent around him they don't need him leading the league in scoring and it would kill the balance of the team but he still has 30 ppg scoring talent.

It's easy to look like the best player on the floor when you're going up against guys that are nowhere near as good at you when it comes to scoring. jordan never played against a scoring champion at his position in the finals so what you're talking is false equivalencies.

you really put Dr. J's name in there like he wasn't washed once jordan came to the league. he was 34 years old when jordan was a rookie. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

and jordan never even played him in the playoffs :D

but see, that's the lengths you have to go to reach when you can't find players like durant that jordan has went against. :rolleyes:

durant would drop 40 on jordans head without pippen and no rim protection.

again what 4 time scoring champions / MVP's did jordan face at SG?

#669 Mr. Space City, Jun 5, 2017
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

No one is denying that GSW is a great team (perhaps the GOAT team, top to bottom); but you have to realize that there's 29 other teams with the same goal.

This isn't a league with, statistically, only 2 teams in it, like the Globetrotters and the Generals. Obviously, no one has a problem with the Globetrotters winning every single game. This is a league with fanbases from all over the country/world, and people pay money to see their team play because they believe their team can win the game.

If GSW is this good, and stays this good, why even 1) tune into the game on TV, 2) spend money to go to these games and 3) buy product to support your team? The end result is a foregone conclusion.

GSW being a good team isn't the issue. It's the fact that a historically good team added a historically good player, thus destroying parity. And you ask Pachulia to go and take out one of the few competitors (Kawhi) that actually has a chance of beating you, when you probably could have come back from a 1-0 deficit to the Spurs just because you're the GOAT Warriors?

Basketball is a team sport. Agreed. But when the biggest challenger to the Warriors domination is contracts, money and father time, and NOT another basketball team, that's when you know you have a problem.

gatsby likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Question: If Cow Why was healthy, would the Spurs have a decent chance at knocking off the Warriors?

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

> Implies "skinny azz" is a detriment, in today's league. If Durant could be hand-checked like in the 90s, I'm sure he would be easier to defend.
    > Implies that Durant not being a scoring champ this year makes him less of a player in years past
    > Implies that the skill level between LeBron and KD is a huge gap, when in reality, it's not.
    > Implies KD is some "skinny azz" scrub, when he's a former MVP himself, and could probably be MVP every year if he tried harder.

Kevin Durant was constrained by Westbrook, during KD's time in OKC. And when he went to GS, KD didn't need to be the all-world scorer he was, in OKC. He just needed to complement the system. Honestly, if KD wanted to, he could average 35+ a game, easy. I don't think anyone else in the league, if everyone gave the same amount of effort, could score as easy as KD. Not Curry, not Harden, not Westbrook, and not even LeBron.

VBG likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

For sure the Spurs would have won game 1. And I would expect it to be a 2-2 tie after game 4. So I think the Spurs could have had a legitimate shot at the Finals, if not for Pachulia's kill order.

14. VBG

VBG Member

I feel like it would have been similar to the Grizz series in 2015. 2-2 going into game 4 and then the Warriors go crazy.

Damn. If only Jordan had left basketball in his prime so we could see how good his team was without him.

OH WAIT. HE DID. AND THE BULLS WON 55 ****ING GAMES. And lost in 7 games to a team that lost a close Finals series.

I wish we could also see what happens when Lebron leaves his team. Wait, didn't the Cavs after he left win 20 games after winning 60 with him?

Mr. Space City likes this.
  15. hvic

hvic Member

I didn't even know game 2 was yesterday haha. it shows how much I care

16. hakeemthagreat

Yes we know KD is a great scorer. But best in NBA history? That's just stupid to say at this point. All you guys are doing is moving the goal post (yet gain) for Lebron. If you're supposedly the best player in NBA history, you should be winning that match up hands down. Not only is Durant scoring, but he's doing it AT WILL against Lebron. Never mind which team has more talent, Kevin Durant is EMBARRASSING Lebron one on one. Yet we're supposed to believe this same guy is better than Michael Jordan? Lol. Yes I know Durant's a scorer, but he's doing it effortlessly against the self proclaimed king.

Last year when Cleveland beat GS and everybody in the weak eastern conference, NOBODY made any mention of how much more talented Cleveland was. Nobody said "well, Lebron does have the advantage with the most talented team in the league". Nobody made mention of how Cleveland had 2 allstars and one of the best supporting casts. Yet GS having Durant this year is supposed to be a disclaimer to Lebron getting his azz handed to him. Ppl only talk about roster talent when Lebron loses lol. Moving the goal post

17. hakeemthagreat

What did Miami do after Lebron?

18. VBG

VBG Member

Every single person is saying "one of the best scorers." Not the best scorer. And yes Durant is one of the best in history. I don't know why that's stupid to say. He's like T-Mac except 3 inches taller, a much better shooter and way better defensively. The guy makes scoring look so easy.

Magic and Bird played well against each other. Barkley had some insane finals games. That's what happens when you're playing an all-time great player.

Also for all your supporting cast thing, 2015 Lebron took the Warriors to 6 games with Matthew Dellavadova as his second best player.

Last year Kyrie had a great finals. Kevin Love was hot garbage. He scored 51 total points on 36.2% shooting. Harrison Barnes scored 65 points on 35.2% shooting.

Won 37 games and missed the playoffs? Vs Jordan's Bulls being a legit dark horse contender and winning 55 games....

Mr. Space City likes this.
  19. Mr. Space City

i never said KD was the best in nba history.

don't put words in my mouth.

and i've always said MJ was the GOAT. it's just MJ never had this type of task in the finals.

why is that so hard for you to understand?

lebron is averaging 29/13/11 shooting 53%, he's playing amazing as well. the warriors simply have way more talent 2-8

if lebron and durant switched teams the warriors would be blowing out the cavs the same way.

and durant would drop buckets on jordans head easily so why hold lebron to a standard that you won't even hold jordan too?

and why didn't you talk about jordan returning to a team that won 55 games without him, had pippen who finished 3rd in mvp voting (over shaq btw), and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

#679 Mr. Space City, Jun 5, 2017
    VBG likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Uh, maybe because the Cavs came back from a 3-1 deficit? Maybe because the Warriors had JUST as much talent as the Cavs did, if not more? Maybe it's because the Warriors went 73-9 that year?

How can you sit there and type that Cleveland was more talented than Golden State was? Cleveland won a pedestrian 57 games (lol) compared to 73. I guarantee you that Cleveland wouldn't have won 73, even if they wanted to.