1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

San Francisco Travel Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ace, Sep 23, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As someone that has ridden and walked the bridge... if its windy the ride isn't that fun and as @B-Bob warned you do have a range of riders and walkers... I'd avoid it myself. I have taken the ferry with my wife and daughters from Oakland to Angel Island with bikes and it is a nice place to ride (paved). Riding in the Presidio Army Base (now part of GGNRA I believe) is also nice but the roads are a bit narrow and blind curves in places.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorry, I responded to B_Bob instead of you. I've walked across and also rode my bike across. If its windy it is a lot less fun riding it, as you get pushed around quite a bit, especially as you get near the center. I probably would look for better places to ride, especially if people in your party aren't that experienced.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're on foot, bring extra comfortable shoes. The urban hike are nothing like the cities in texas and you'll be punished for it with a 3-4 hour hike inside the city. Of course Uber or the relatively good public transit is a good safety net.

For good Asian food, places near the ternderloin are a great value, if only because it's the sketchy yet safe part of town. I still miss the authentic Thai food from Ler Ros Thai.

4. Buck Turgidson

Never been to that one, but the 2 times I've had Burmese food were at a place in Manhattan with locals (went twice in the same week, it was that good), can't remember the name, but it was one of the best Asian cuisines I've ever tasted. Smeg being from Australia probably already knows this though.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

last day of June, have 1 day, junior Smeg wanted a day, have booked night alcatraz tour, have about 9 hours to fill after we land before alcatraz and then 5 hours the next day before flight to NW... and have fit in visit to SOMA food truck park ;)

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

thanks for advice all, have some friends that just rode over bridge last week and then got ferry back

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Glad you enjoyed it bro. I can't wait to go back to back to Yosemite some day and walk some more trails.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Where will you be before that? I'm leaving the area on the 29th to drive back to Houston. Will be in Cali 18th-29th.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

For those of you into Wine. Check out Headsburg and Windsor. Christopher creek winery and the view there is ****ing amazing. Had a blast out there two weeks ago.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Walk around the mission (during the day), particularly Valencia street. Lots of cool stuff. Ferry building is fun for food. I'm on the peninsula and there is basically good food and wine everywhere

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

regarding wine - while I do love Healdsburg and Sonoma in general, Napa is still the king. If you've never been to wine country, you have to go there. Yes, it's outrageously expensive and you have to book tasting appointments well in advance, but you have to see it. You can find good wines in both places, but of course the Cabernet Sauvignon is far superior in Napa vs. Sonoma.

on the neighborhoods - a first time tourist absolutely has to go to Fisherman's wharf and Union Square. Yes I can understand why a local would hate both places, but you can't go to SF without seeing them.