1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[June 2017] Best/Cheapest Cable and Internet providers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well. . . . look like My Xfinity will be done in the next 60 days.
    I can stay - they will hike my price up by 25% - which it is already too high for me now
    or
    I can sign another contract that will basically keep it the same but another 2 yrs - which I am not doing

Here is the thing - they are AT&T - I was wondering how that affects moving to ATT Direct TV or U Verse

I can lose channels. . not worried about channels
    but still have a good level of internet speed
    I still want some channels for ease of use and dvr but . . . .it is becoming less and less of an issue

any ideas? Any companies to look into ?

Rocket River

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I LOVE DirecTV but hate their internet. It might just be my experience because I know some people that haven't any problems at all, but our internet goes down constantly. I've had a technician out to my house three times in 8 months and they have changed our modem each time.

And their customer service is completely awful. It's like talking to wall.

My favorite internet company is New Wave. I never had a problem with them. They aren't exactly the cheapest, though. We ended up switching to AT&T because they were cheaper and it would put our Cable, Mobile, and internet all on one bill.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does your DirectV go out in the rain?
    That was my worry with Satellite systems

Rocket River

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Have Uverse and so far not many complaints. You definitely won't have a problem with them if you're not worried about losing channels as their basic (standard) channels package really sucks... don't even get NBA or MLB TV.

But other than that pretty fair; customer service aren't idiots or dipwads like Comcast (had to deal with those guys far too many times in the past), doesn't go out if you experience inclement weather, and their prices are pretty affordable.

Good luck!

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It does every once in a while but it never really lasts long.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hate comcast xfinity. I should really take a look at dumping them.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I checked the site. . .the only station that I really think I would miss would be EL REY
    It is there but not on the basic list

The Uverse is Cable AND Internet right
    Trying to get below a 100$ for both . . . with Good Speed on the internet side
    DVR is nice and a plus but again not a deal breaker

They are too expensive. I am really thinking of dropping cable totally and just have internet and a Firestick or Ruku or something.

Rocket River

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sure U-Verse is available for new AT&T customers. You might have to go with DirectTV.

I've had U-Verse since dumping Comcast after Ike. Except for a rough patch for 3-4 months early last year, no complaints. Internet isn't as fast as Comcast but their top tier is great and almost NEVER goes out. HD resolution isn't as sharp as DirectTV but it's more than good enough for me. Needless to say their customer service blows Comcast away by 30 miles.

They want me to switch to DirectTV but one of the techs that came out last year said don't do it.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I used to complain about Comcast... then I moved to an area that is only supported by Consolidated. Despite buying Gig in an area that has fiber, internet speeds are woefully slow (230 down, 190 up... I can get 300 on my phone on occasion). They have fewer TV offerings, fewer On Demand and customer services seems to be run out a barn in the midwest. I long for getting Comcast back (always hear rumors that they will enter this area).

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly, its for both internet (WiFi) and cable connection.

I don't have many complaints on their internet service either. We live in a two story home and they installed the modem all the way upstairs in my walk in closet, which is quite a distance from the living room, kitchen, and man cave that we all spend most our time at downstairs. Still reaches us with no problem and when we have multiple devices added it shows no signs of lag.

El Rey? What comes on that network... your telenovelas?

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Dropped Spectrum Time Warner's cable package and stuck with just the 100MB/s down internet a few days ago. It's a little weird not having TV right now, but I'll buy an OTA antenna soon.

Cut the bill from $168 to $75ish.

12. Cranberry_Juice

Ever think about just cutting the cord? I kept Comcast's internet and stream all my shows from KODI. I was even able to stream all the rockets games for free. Currently I am paying $49 a month total.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

EL REY - Is Robert Rodriguez's station . . .think of it like SPIKE TV but with more nostalgia LOL
    They ran an old school HULK marathon last weekend. . . they get all of the KUNG FU Movies from my youth
    I think they have like Knight Rider and Miami Vice on there

Rocket River

FLASH21 likes this.
  14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This is woefully slow? Comcast "gigabit" service is up to 1GB download and 35 (yes 35mbps) UP? At least your upload speed is fast as heck. You're likely only getting those speeds because you're over wireless?

Here's my woefully slow at&t :)

[​IMG]

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

OP. The easiest thing to do is just dial Xfinity support and tell the IVR you're going to cancel service. Get over to retentions, tell them you're considering leaving them, mention a legitimate new customer deal from a competitor like AT&T/DirecTV and they'll budge.

if they don't, just switch to DirecTV (Uverse picture quality sucks ass), and keep the xfinity internet.

16. xcrunner51

Cable companies are the worst. Is there any other industry that you have to call every 3 months to keep your bill from rising?

When I cancelled my cable with Spectrum/Time Warner, they offered me a retention deal that was actually pretty decent and said the price was good for 12mo. I politely declined. When pressed, I told them that I was sick and tired of the price creep every 3mo and that I found it dishonest. Spectrum said that Time Warner's model (who they had recently acquired) was to have overlapping, stacking discounts that could expire every 3 months and that TWC just expected their customers to call every three months to bargain the rates back down.

I told them that was absolutely ludicrous and a waste of time. The Spectrum customer rep even agreed and said that Spectrum got rid of that policy and will offer guaranteed rates for 12mo, with the caveat that the rates wouldn't be as low as TWC's were.

It's been an adjustment not having cable tv (I really want to watch the astros/rangers games right now), but ultimately I think I'll be totally fine. I've found myself binging absolutely mind-numbing stuff like HGTV or Travel Channel or Food Network. I will make better use of the Netflix subscription I already pay for.

17. xcrunner51

For the people complaining about not getting the internet speed they paid for, are you guys sure you have a modem/router that supports the speed you're paying for?

I was paying for Ultimate 200 internet with my doubleplay package but I never got close to that speed. The TWC guy came out, checked out the hardware and told me my modem (which I own) limited me to 100Mb/s and my router (probably 7 years old) further limited me to around 60 MB/s.

He said it was impossible to get the speeds I was paying for and that unless I upgraded to the newest modem and router combination (probably ~$300) that TWC wouldn't take responsibility for not getting the speeds I paid for.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm in the same exact boat. I like the Dtv but the Uverse internet is crap. Out here in The Woodlands, we still don't have access to their top speeds...but I will be able to move to their 75 mgbs plan soon (have to wait until 6/12 for some reason). The price comes out better than what I was paying for the 45 plan as a bundle with tv and wireless.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Might need to check my Equipment

Rocket River