1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there are a lot of people who are concerned about the QB position this year. I think an absolute disaster would be if Osweiler ends up being the starting QB in Cleveland and outplays what we have at the position. At this point I think we should all just hope for the best though.

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd be very surprised if we head into the regular season without an extension in place. Clowney less so, but I'm thinking both deals get done considering the events that have occurred this offseason.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think Savage will be starting week 1.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't think so either: it is very hard not to play with a "shining new toy."

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If Savage isn't starting, we are in bad shape. No way we go through 8 veteran quarterbacks and a rookie comes in and learns the system easily.

Hopkins I agree but I don't know about Clowney. I'm definitely a fan but one good season doesn't call for an extension UNLESS you try to lock him up before he really explodes.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Weeden might be the starter. He's been in the system for almost 2 years. He has the better arm IMO.

In order for Watson to be the day one starter is if both Savage and Weeden gets hurt. Or if he flat out beat both of them out. He has to show he understands the concept of the offense or at least have 70% of it in his belt.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Uhhhh. NO!

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why not? If Savage doesn't handle his business and we know how coach feels about starting a rookie QB. Weeden coukd easily be the starter.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Fullcourt

Because Weeden has 0 upside. He is what he is. Savage could be worse than Weeden week 1, but there is potential for him to improve through playing time. Same goes with Watson. Weeden gets you nowhere

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Unferstood, but right now we just need a stop gap guy. Watson should be the man next season. Savage might not be here after this season as well. And if Weeden somehow out performs them both O'Brien might just call his number. Fitzpatrick and Hoyer didn't have any upside either but guess what, they were our starters correct.

#2352 Htownballer38, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    No Worries and Fulgore like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to say just about the same, no one cares if Weeden has upside, the hope is that Watson has that upside so anyone else is just temporary in the first place. If Weeden outplays Savage, which could happen, he should start. It would probably make for a really hard to watch season, but the hope is that Watson will be ready next season so you just have to make it through this season as best as possible.

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Is anyone else here gonna watch these guys play this season? Personally, i'm excited.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Winston started for Tampa Bay right? Didn't Mariota start for the Titans? Then Watson can start for the Texans. BOB's "glorious" system may have to be tweaked, but he can start. The kid will work himself silly to learn "the system" and will be executing at a high level by the time the preseason games start. IF he looks good in the preseason games, and he should get the bulk of the snaps, then I think he starts. The stage is not going to be too big for him, the offensive line will hopefully be improved, he will have a scary running game, and a killer defense. What's not to like?

16. Fullcourt

The fact is, we don't know what we have in Savage. Yes, he's likely the placeholder for Watson, but if there is a chance he can develop into a starting caliber QB in this league, you roll with him over Weeden even if you would otherwise avoid certain growing pains. There would be plenty of pain involved in watching Weeden

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Those teams sucked and had no shot at making the playoffs. Texans early schedule makes Starting Watson inadvisable.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

1st Texan to be named. I thought maybe Lamar would make it. Looks like Mercilus (maybe), Hopkins, Brown (maybe), and Watt are top 40.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Winston and Mariota were both more highly thought of prospects than Watson and neither of them were trying to learn a system as ridiculous as the one in Houston. I think trying to throw the kid to the wolves without the tools to succeed would damage his potential. Don't David Carr him.

Well I agree that we don't know what we have with Savage, and that's part of the problem. For all we know, he could be worse than Weeden. That said, it doesn't matter what Savage is, you don't burn two first round picks on a QB without preparing for that to be the QB of the future. Neither Weeden or Savage is likely to be around past this season.