1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Could the Astros End Up in Expansion Realignment?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, May 24, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

San Antonio/Austin? Makes more sense to move the Milwaukee Brewers there than starting a new franchise.

The only MLB realignment that makes sense is one that leaves Bud Selig crying.

#21 No Worries, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Charlotte could support a team now. Fast growing city and they support their other teams well. A lot of Braves fans in the Carolinas but I think a lot of people would switch over to the "Carolina [insert MLB team name]".

Portland, Salt Lake City region, and Montreal could too for similar reasons. Dont think Nashville (yet), Vegas, or Memphis would be good choices.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Why in the world are you guys suggesting moving the Brewers? They average more fans than the Astros and averaged a higher payroll than the Astros in the last decade. Do you guys not remember when the Astros were last in payroll for 2 straight years and in the bottom 5 in the year before and after that span? Teams go through this strategy of dumping expensive players for prospects which cost less. It doesn't mean the franchise has crashed and should be moved. That's why the Brewers have the 4th highest rated farm system. I don't understand any good reason why that team should be moved.

Agree about Charlotte. It would be a good market that would probably have the least cannibalization of other teams along with Indianapolis. Charlotte is also a good business market. They also have 16 fortune 1000 companies and 6 Fortune 500. In comparison, Austin has 1 fortune 500 company (Whole Foods) and 0 companies in the 500-1000 range. Whole Foods is also in financial peril and will likely be sold in the next year and have their austin operation downsized. At least Dell will rejoin that Forbes list next year and will likely be ranked pretty high. This is the type of thing that separates Austin from all of these other cities. Lot of satellite offices from companies but not HQs which are the ones that invest a lot of money into the city.

So much of this really comes down to what city is going to pay for a new stadium. Indy built football and basketball stadiums in the last 15 years. Charlotte built a new basketball arena about 10 years ago and are doing a lot of renovations to their football stadium. Portland hasn't spent money on a stadium in 20 years but I am not sure how the culture is there and if the people would support public funds for a baseball stadium.

#24 Brando2101, May 26, 2017
  5. Major

Major Member

nevermind - misread what i was responding to.

6. Buck Turgidson

I didn't notice that you had Montreal there as a 2nd expansion team. I have no idea what the support level in Montreal is. Charlotte I can see. Those 2 are about it.

No way in hell they can put a baseball stadium in Mexico City, it's like 2000ft higher than Denver and would make Coors Field look like Dodger Stadium (although the horrific air pollution might keep the ball from carrying quite so well).. You'd have to build the stadium to look like the Polo Grounds or Crosley Field or one of those ridiculously dimensioned old ballparks and allow teams an extra OFer.

Also, I absolutely hate the idea of 4-team divisions.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How about contracting 2 teams so you have 28. I think Tampa does not need a team and neither does Oakland. They already have the giants.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This. I'd rather see them contract than expand. In the us the 2 best candidates for expansion are Portland and Charlotte? Weak. If they do expand it needs to be international. Mexico City makes sense. Maybe Havana? But again expansion would overall be a terrible idea right now.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Ideal yes, feasible, no.

Now I hadn't thought about Havana...but who buys the tickets? They po', Kenny, they po'. MLB subsidized roster? If we had ended the stupid embargo 20 years ago....

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MLB does't traditionally go to "smaller" media markets.

Also, a lot of long-time minor league places have affiliations to the big league club or spring training team that are pretty deep rooted... lots of Cardinals fans in Memphis. Lots of Yankees fans in Tampa.

What's the smallest MLB media market now? Kansas City? Cincy? Pittsburgh? (I'm lumping Oakland into the bay area's region, since they are the AL team of the bay area).

I agree that there are markets that are currently not operating a max capacity... and need to be fixed. There are other former markets like Montreal that could be welcomed back, but need a ton of infrastructure improvements prior.... and could be used as leverage for one of the other possible failing markets (which at this point, Tampa is the only team without a new stadium deal in place).

#30 Nick, May 26, 2017