1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That is true but you're trying to compare apples to sunny delight. You're talking about a guy that played in the NFL and studied the game for 3 full seasons before being thrust into the starters role that he signed up for with the Texans. He was at least by that point accustomed to the schedule, gameplay, play calls, players, etc. etc.

This is the first time EVER that this guy has done anything worth notoriety with a NFL coach, players, and playbook. So this bad that is being spoken of can be taken with a grain of salt as well as the good.

We need to see it all translate once he is a (semi)finished product on the field.

I got to see Brock practice last season and he looked terrible. My only excuse for him was that he was missing DeAndre with his hold out. Once he came back it looked as if he righted the ship with a few practice highlights but I was still skeptical from what I witnessed on the field in person. Dude was just plain bad and out of rhythm.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm not comparing him to Brock. I'm saying the sunny OTA reports and tweets are pretty much worthless, and don't ignore the negatives

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think we agree, but on different basis'.

Brock was basically handed the keys and told get to steering... eventually crashed into multiple ditches despite all the "great things" heard around camp.

Watson will absolutely have to earn the job title of starter and if/when it happens we can't guarantee success because again he is just a rookie trying to absorb so much information in such a short period (summer) of time.

I'm hoping he does but again these "reports" of how well he does in OTAs for me is taken with a few 100 grains of salt.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The one telling sign for me that Brock would suck....I never heard one receiver during training camp mention anything about Brocks arm, accuracy, strength, etc... If they were asked about him, they would always talk about his leadership, hard work, etc...no mention of his actual play on the field.

During OTAs, everyone will make great plays and mess ups...so it's too early to come to any conclusion. But, come training camp, focus on what the receivers say...it's a lot more telling when you look into it.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Any quotes from the Texans receivers about DW yet?

6. rezdawg

Not that Ive heard...Id guess if they have anything good to say, we'll hear it a couple weeks into training camp.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Well the quotes about why the drafted him were all about leadership, winning, clutch, hard work, etc.

Nook likes this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Clutch you're still trying to compare the two.

There is a difference between a Rookie having leadership, winning, hard work, clutch qualities as opposed to a 3 year veteran of the league. Obviously Watson has skills, I mean to complete a comeback of that fashion against a NFL quality defense in college proves in itself that he has football skills. But to ADD to that acumen he has shown those other intangibles which are important to a young player.

All the sh** that Brock spewed were things he learned from the guys ahead of him over his 3 year tenure in the league. The point being that Watson ALREADY has those qualities just coming out of college and even when he started as a freshman at Clemson. Those intangibles are what bring natural skill and athletic ability into completely mastering those. Work ethic and leadership are sometimes uncommon in most 21-22 year old men, what they're doing is highlighting that he already attained these qualities at such a young age.

Watson and Brock couldn't be more different of players yet you still insist to compare the two. Somehow.

Sooty likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

I am comparing the media and fan reactions to both.

In both cases people are way too obsessed with leadership and winning and not talking about actually making throws and reads. As we know, Brock was awful at making reads and throwing accurately. I am curious as to how Watson is doing, I know he threw an INT yesterday.

I know Watson has a quick release, so in that area at least he's a big improvement over Brock.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Right but he also is still a ROOKIE unlike Osweiler who was by last year's point considered a veteran in the league.

Btw he did throw an INT but if you read the reports one of the receivers (can't recall who) got the ball ripped out of their hands by the current "playmaker" of camp Robert Nelson so really one or even multiple stats probably won't help us evaluate his performance. We have to actually watch his play, which at this point, unfortunately, we can't do.

Also don't ignore the fact that the media, specifically Houston media, really REALLY wanted Brock to work out. Probably even moreso than Watson because he was getting paid SO MUCH more money than he was actually worth. Obviously, that didn't work out for them but now the team has gone a different route in search of a QB and everyone is acting like a scorned lover... because of the bad breakup between us and Brock. Get over it (to everyone) move on and find what you're new boo brings to the table. Cool?

11. rezdawg

Correct, but Watson hasnt had a chance to even play with pads on...if theyre still not talking about his actual skill on the field come week 3 of training camp, then he's got a long way to go. Brock, on the other hand, had nothing positive written about his actual arm and ability to play.

12. 1234567

1234567 Member

It is elementary my dear Watson.

Nuts to think a rookie will look good first day out on OTA

Give it till end of pre-season before assuming the man is a bust already.

Sure lot of negative people round here.

And if he sucks then the team will suck.

What else is new. Unless Brady is hurt and his coach is sick Texans not reaching the super bowl anyways.

It's like Warriors in NBA. No team can beat them in the playoffs from the west and they proof it.

Do you really thing any team other than them Pats are getting out of the AFC unless bad luck on them? Maybe the Madden curse.....

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lol at people panicking literally two days into a project QB's career.

Just terrible.

Yaosthirdleg and macho87 like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Who is panicking?

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree with you for the most part... except for the part about the Pats. They've been proven to be beatable. Reason why they have never been back to back champs. There is hope! This is possibly the Patriots next "down" year!!!

#GoTexans #BeatThePats lol

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wow Wilfork is a HUGE fan of Watson.

17. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

im sorry i just dont trust bill o brien's system.. why not run the same offense the cowboys run for dak

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The system of having the best O line the NFL has seen in years and a stellar run game? I'd love to run that "system", but we don't have the players for it any more than we have Tom Brady to run the BOB "system"

19. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

If you think you're getting a franchise QB you do that first and worry about everything else roster related second.

Some of ya'll are just not making a great deal of sense. A guy with superstar expectations means that, by definition, it won't be a miracle if he achieves them. That's why they are expectations - you expect that from him or at least project that as a realistic ceiling.

You know who it's a miracle for? The Edelman's of the world.

Look, the only thing to fear is fear itself. Or, fear by another name - our coaching staff/front office - a uniquely inept group of QB evaluators selected him. Hopefully this is their blind squirrel moment b/c I can see it as plain as day.

20. Mr. Clutch

When the guys in charge think Brock Osweiler is a franchise QB, maybe they shouldn't be in charge

solid likes this.