1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 draft sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. basketballholic

Thomas Bryant cannot defend. He's clueless defensively. I mean clueless. For that reason he can't play 5 in the NBA. He's a worse defender at 5 than Ryan Anderson is. That makes him a stretch 4 at best. And he'll have to play alongside a total defensive stud at the 5 to have any chance of being successful. He's a project at best. At best. I would not draft him.

lionaire likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Yeah. I can understand that. Mediocre team. It's hard to tell if guys are any good.

Cody would rock at the 5 in our system.

3. basketballholic

You want Og and don't want Mason. You should feel just the opposite.
    There is not a better defender at the point of attack in this draft than Frank Mason.

4. Progs

Progs Member

Frank Mason is the truth!

5. awc713

awc713 Member

First, OG isn't a terrible shooter. And, shooting is the one trait that is most improveable. Ariza and Parsons are prime examples. Both entered the draft with a questionable shot, and both developed respectable shots in the NBA.

You can say he has a "broken jumper" 30x, but that doesn't make it a better point. OG shot 31% and 45% from 3 in college. So it's not as "broke" as you think it is. Does he need work? Surely. But he can clearly improve, and I believe he will improve. Tons of young players improve. Plus, he is 19 years old.

No prospect is perfect. OG isn't falling to us in the 2nd, so it's moot unless we move up. OG will have a very successful career. He can be what MKG wasn't, though that will be his floor.

As for Thomas Bryant, I'd love that pickup in the 2nd.

Like you said, he's a big boy and still has room to fill out (6'11'', 250 lbs). His length is great (7'5'' wingspan, 9'4'' standing reach). He is long, athletic, and has developed a good shot (38% 3P shooter). Thon isn't a great comparison, TB is a superior shooter but the defensive impact isn't as comparable.

He has the tools to become a great 4/5 in this league given his ability to shoot, rebound, and sheer size.

But he needs to position his feet better on offense and defense at times. Not great laterally. But he's a high intensity, smart player. Y'all would really like him. That's a pick I would love to see. Especially if Anderson struggles to stay healthy. Bryant's potential in MDA's system would be great if he could provide decent defense.

#85 awc713, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    lionaire and mikol13 like this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

7. awc713

awc713 Member

TB is a long player with good size. More importantly, he still has room to fill out. TB played well defensively at times. He is not as lost of a cause as your post implies. Did you watch him play? He is active in passing lanes (.8 SPG), and contested shots well (1.5BPG). His length is undeniable and he is a high energy player/defender.

He's not nearly as bad as your post portrays. I am not an IU homer. I don't boast random IU players just because. My critique is objective and honest. And I've probably seem him play *way* more than you. TB needs to improve his lateral movement. That is his most glaring issue. But no prospect is perfect. He still has all of the tools, build, size, shot, attitude, intelligence, drive, and ability to become as formidable as any.

I concede, Holic, that TB is not a top 5 pick. Well done. Great analysis.

But he could be a good player for a long time, especially in MDA's system. The kid is 19 year old (!!!). If you let TB marinate in the D-League, then you could have yourself a impactful, promising player around 21-22. We're not asking any draftee to contribute meaningful minutes next year. That doesn't eliminate TB from being an excellent pick.

Sure, if his defense doesn't get any better, than yeah, he won't sniff the court. He is not a lotto pick. But he is a fringe 1st-rounder. And most importantly, he compares favorably to a lot of draftees from whom we might be selecting if we don't trade.

#87 awc713, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. dmoneybangbang

Yikes. Got anything objective to back that up or just based on feeling and your eye test?

9. basketballholic

My eye test is objective. Cody is far superior to Capela defensively and has a broader range of skills offensively. Not to mention Cody is the better athlete, stronger, higher stamina, and much much greater bball iq than Capela.

10. dmoneybangbang

I just don't see how you could possibly, objectively back up your claim that Zeller is far superior on both sides especially since Zeller can't shot the ball either.

11. Progs

Progs Member

DJ Wilson is Robert Horry 2.0

lionaire likes this.
  12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

xaiver rathan mayes is a good pick also got a feeling if he is there thats our guy also maybe josh heart and also frank mason

13. basketballholic

You don't shoot the ball on defense. This is a perfect example of taking words out of context and making them something they are not. Not to mention, you think Capela CAN shoot the ball?

I said Zeller was far superior DEFENSIVELY. And I said that Zeller has a broader range of offensive skills. Zeller can pass. He does have a nice 15-footer that gives him a little face up game that Capela doesn't have, and Zeller can dribble-drive, another thing Capela can't do.

14. Fantasma Negro

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jake Wiley would be a nice undrafted pickup. Serious athleticism, decent footwork, good finisher around the rim, solid rebounder, good shot blocker. He's a little short for a PF but his athleticism and length should make up for it. If he can develop a jumper he could be a great steal.

basketballholic likes this.
  16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Semi Ojeleye is a very under the radar guy. He's a jack of all trades 4 in college and guarded 1-5. Dunno where the Rockets pick but think he will be gone early second at the latest.

Pros: Shooting, Inside/outside scoring, strength, athleticism
    Cons: Tweener (though he had some favorable combine numbers), measurable not favorable
    NBA Player comparison: Jae Crowder

17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Man you're so condensing in the way you talk to people.

Check out advance stats, and come back to me. Your esentially comparing someone who is 2 years old and has been in the league a year longer.

18. basketballholic

Ok. Checked them out now. And I'm back to you. And it's condescending by the way.

Soooooo what am I checking back for, Mr. Condensing?

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like your guy Thornwell better, he raves about loving defense yet he's a scorer.