1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ringer: The Worldwide Leader in Schadenfreude

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, May 25, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

REEKO_HTOWN and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

New? We've been hating ESPN since 1994.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not really surprising that the liberal sports media would collectively circle the wagons

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, keep donning that tin foil hat.

Liberal sports media. Classic.

The ESPN criticism wreaks of the same criticism that MTV faced. It's member berries all over again. My issue with ESPN is that it doesn't stand for, and never has, for what I want. I want 24/7 sports. Little to no commentary, just pure sports. I want the outlandish sports, I want ballet, fencing, and baseball. I want the popular sports of football and basketball. I even want soccer showcased. ESPN is infotainment, and for the most part that's what people want. I get that I'm in the minority, but it doesn't stop me from hating them.

leroy likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd say most people happy about the decline of ESPN are only happy because they hope it will be reborn in whatever style it is that they prefer.

I personally just don't care enough to see some dudes arguing the same old stuff anymore. And if I want highlights, I go online. I stopped watching because of me, not because of ESPN. (I do still listen to most Zach Lowe podcasts though.)

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly. I remember the first time I saw world series of poker on ESPN and was fascinated that it was a recognized sport. That introduction drew me in and kept me interested in watching and learning the game to where I actually started playing with friends. That was the power of ESPN back in the day. Now, it's just screaming heads like a middle-aged nagging wife.

Back in the day, ESPN took risks introducing audience to sports they hadn't seen before, which in turn created a market and a following. Today, ESPN is knee deep TV contracts that it can't do anything but focus on the big 3 sports to generate profit to pay those contracts. It's a vicious cycle that has sapped all creativity from the network. Original programming is dead.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I was done with ESPN as soon as they made the deal for the Longhorn network. That was the biggest middle finger to sports fans i've ever seen.

It was a power play that refused to notice the elephant in the room....online streaming.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

So this weekend is the Women's College Ultimate Frisbee Championship Tournament. ESPN will cover some of the games, but who knows when they play it. They tape it, then sit on it for when they have blocks they can't fill. I'm sort of biased because a friend of mine might play in it, but that's definitely something I would like to watch. Heck, I think I would watch Ice Skating on ESPN. I just want more sports.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Sadly that's the ESPN way. You would think having 3 channels would be enough to fill in all the coverage gaps, but the model is broken.

ESPN: Screaming debates channel.
    ESPN2: Rejected footage channel.
    ESPN3: Ahoy! random sports.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

You forgot ESPNU, because exploitation of college kids is what we do best!

There's also ESPN News, because you know you want to watch Sportscenter re-runs!

C'mon ESPN, one month try it. Only sports. Call it a players only broadcast. Please?

ghettocheeze likes this.