1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Peacock has made Keuchel obsolete.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 22, 2017.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Couldn't resist.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Maybe not, but you have to be worried if you are Mike Fiers or Joe Musgrove

3. Buck Turgidson

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am so OK with Peacock being a starter and Musgrove going to the bullpen. I actually think Musgrove would be good in relief.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chaotician...

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Maybe Peacock has found his niche as a short burst pitcher. Tag him up with Morton so the pen isn't as taxed when Morton starts.

I would say let him have a go in the rotation, but you can only have so many short outing guys before it becomes too much for the pen.

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

LaRussa made batting the pitcher 8th fashionable, who's going to be the team that tries the tandem starter in MLB?

Snake Diggit and Red Chocolate like this.
  8. raining threes

The Stros ?

9. conquistador#11

who is this dallas kutcher everyone talks about? sounds like some leader of a boy band!

His parents were in the house. He pitched tremendously. I love me some J.D but peacock made him look silly along with the rest of their lineup.

lnchan likes this.
  10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

click bait in reverse? You watchin Mike "Flyers" ???

11. Buck Turgidson

I haven't really thought through it, but it doesn't seem to me to be all that terrible of an idea, if you're like the Stros and have a basically interchangeable 5/6th starter/longman. "Give me all you've got for 4 innings."

raining threes likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Cut Carter Keuchel

13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

It really isn't, especially for guys who have a historical tendency to disproportionately falter heavily after the 4th/5th inning. This is quite common for pitchers who aren't really major league starters, and your strategy is likely quite useful against teams that haven't seen much of the starting pitching duo.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Dallas pitched well last night.....

15. mightybosstone

I'm all for this. I'd rather have 5-6 quality innings from Peacock than 5-6 innings of "How many home runs is this guy going to give up tonight?" from those guys. That being said, what Peacock has shown this year has been a relatively small sample size. The last time he was a legitimate starter—in 2014—he went 4-9 with a 4.72 ERA with 24 starts that season.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not exactly tandem pitching, but the Dodgers are basically tagging pitchers (starters and relievers) in and out of the 10-day DL. Basically, they have 4 starters pitching in normal rotation with 2-3 starters getting 10-15 days rest as guys miraculously are cured at the exact moment someone else goes down. Orioles are doing the same thing except their guys have options and are being sent to AAA instead of DL.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The minor league thing is fine, but if teams game the DL system, there should be some repercussions.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I give him a shot. He's pitching very well and very confidently. If it were me, I move Fiers to the pen. I think he'd handle it better and I think his stuff might work better in shorter stints.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Peacock has pitched his ass off, end of last year and spring of this year.

Outstanding!

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His results were good last year, but nothing about his peripherals supported those numbers. He was still HR prone, and he still walked too many. He just had a crazy low BABIP.

This year on the other hand, he has been awesome. He hasn't given up a single gofer ball and he's wiping guys out with 13.1 K/9. He's still walking too many, but you can tolerate that if the other aspects are strong enough. The only question is will that translate to 5/6 inning outings every 5 days.