1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking about buying a Surface Pro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DudeWah, Nov 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's a worthwhile buy.

Get it.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  2. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

USC

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Given the latest ransom-ware incident, MacBook Pro + Time Machine aint a bad option. Time Machine would be a real life saver if you had to reload the system from scratch.

4. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

Announced in Shanghai this morning.

extremely skeptical about 13.5 battery life. expected to release June 15.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Underwhelming. Basically a processor update. No new features really.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I have a Surface Pro 4 at work that I am in love with. The fold out keyboard works well enough that unless I have it docked at the office it's all I use. I haven't tried it out for games at all since it doesn't have a GPU, but it blows away my desktop at home for software development stuff.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's not their game with this update. Remember, the whole reason the surface line exists is because HP and other OEMs kept screwing up implementation of windows. Bloatware and cheap products littered the market. The surface is here to set a standard, not necessarily revolutionize the market.

With that said, I do want some damn new features and a surface pro 5 already.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Still on an SP3 and I see no reason to switch.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I've been using an SP3 heavily for the last couple of years and there are plenty of cons that make me want a solid traditional laptop body.

1) Having the screen upright with a kickstand has caused me a few issues:
    a) tough to actually use on my lap absent a table; hurts my thighs with the kickstand pressing there, and difficult to balance.
    b) I'm always looking for a decent table height to use it at so my neck doesn't hurt; I seem to sit like I have a hunched back when using it without the right table height; my trapezius muscle has been knotting up more frequently since I started using it.

2) I'm on the 3rd Gen keyboard - there's no right click keyboard key - annoying to work in Excel that way; new keyboards might have the key
    3) The top left and right corners of my screen have discolored permanently, probably because i carried it when the thing was hot
    4) So damn loud! The fan runs at it's highest and loudest setting almost all of the time
    5) The back gets ridiculously hot
    6) Screen smudges are very difficult to clean off and really affect viewing ability when there is any screen fraction with glare
    7) The battery lasts about 2.5-3 hours for me, that's it. This is after twiddling with plenty of settings
    8) It can't handle video and let you work - can't have a youtube video and a document to work on side by side without the video getting choppy, heat issues, and an extremely loud fan.

These are the day to day issues I've been having with mine.
    I don't recommend it.
    I'd prefer a T470 series Thinkpad at this time.

Of course, mine could just be a poorer quality piece and others may not see these issues.

10. MystikArkitect

I have none of these issues with the SP3. Which processor and RAM combo do you have?

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Gotta say you have some weird issues, to the point I think you got a lemon. I have had none of the issues you listed. I went with an i5 128 gb hard drive 4 gb of RAM SP3 and it's been chugging along great. My only complaint is microsoft made the thing too damn appealing, my girlfriend has stolen mine and I need a new one.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

It's probably a lemon then...
    It has:
    i7-4650U @ 1.7 GHz and 2.3GHz
    8.00 GB Ram

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Fanless + non m-series CPU seems like a bad choice. It's a laptop i7 so dual-core/power and thermal efficient, but still...

EDIT: It's the 4.5W i7. In comparison the Surface Pro units utilize 15W i7's. (Base clock 1.3 GHz).

In any case the other specs are amazing.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

IMO, if you're a Windows user this is the only way to go.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think it echoes what owning a mac feels like. Heck, that's why some are flipping over to it. Only if they made a phone that good.

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

What pdf annotation program do people recommend?

Foxit is pretty good but limited in its 'undo' capability - any better ones out there?

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I can't wait to get the new Surface Pro (2017). I've had the Surface RT, Surface Pro 1, Surface 2 and have been sporting the i7 Surface Pro 3 for two years. I use the device for hour upon hour every day and can't live without it.

Not a chance in hell this will be better than the Surface Pro. Microsoft has a six-year head start on them, and billions of dollars in R&D to improve iteration after iteration. HP, Dell, Lenovo and other major hardware partners haven't reproduced the magic yet, how in the world can a Chinese startup?

I'm not saying it won't be a decent device, but in no way will it beat a Surface Pro.

I import the PDF into OneNote and annotate it within OneNote. Nothing beats OneNote in my opinion.

srrm likes this.
  19. SunsRocketsfan

I have the most maxed out spec surface pro 4 and ehhh its just okay..
    The key board is better than I expected and very comfortable to type on. Overall build quality is excellent and the kickstand is adjustable at many angles and stays in place. The screen is also gorgeous and one of the better displays out there.

Biggest con is it's too damn buggy.. you often get stuck in tablet mode, undocking/docking the keyboard also messes things up and sometimes it just freezes and you have to hard reset. THere are so many other quirks I don't even want to name them. Overall it's just too damn buggy for me to recommend which is a shame because everything else is excellent.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This should not be occurring. I have used a Surface Pro 4 for several months and bought one for my mother as well. Are you sure you have the latest firmware released for the hardware?

Also, you can disable the switch to tablet mode that occurs when you unplug the keyboard if it bothers you. With that said, I think you're probably lacking the latest firmware updates. If you are experiencing any bugs on your Surface, there is an obvious issue. Surface devices should run perfectly.

[​IMG]