1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EC Finals: Boston vs. Cleveland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 15, 2017.

?

(1)Boston vs. (2)Cleveland

Poll closed May 17, 2017.
  1. Celtics in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Celtics in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Celtics in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Celtics in 7

2.4%
  5. Cavs in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cavs in 6

17.1%
  7. Cavs in 5

36.6%
  8. Cavs in 4

43.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol where were you round 1 till last game?

I like how the Lebron haters think: if they beat the East, man look how weak the East is Lebron always coasts to the Finals every year. If Lebron has a bad game suddenly the Cavs are the worst team ever wtf.

Lebron is human, he is not a machine and his age is starting to show after like 6 consecutive Finals appearances. The Cavs are totally dependent on Lebron the team has a lot of flashy names but like all Lebron teams they suck without him, Klove and Irving haven't even reached the playoffs on their own. It also hurts how their real coach is also Lebron and how their real GM is Lebron, their team is so dysfunctional and relying just on talent and Lebron's greatness that's why they run the most ISO plays in the league despite having Lebron, Irving and Love who are all excellent passers.

As for GSW, the Cavs may or may not beat them but c'mon that team is cheating with 5 all star level players on the team. Losing to them isn't a crime, doubt any team but the Jordan Bulls can match them.

Dopamine likes this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Which is the point.

The 2nd best player ever just **** the bed.

People shouldn't be so surprised that it happens.

roslolian and Patience like this.
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i recall. you got really bent out of shape about something so inconsequential as me getting bent out of shape about something so inconsequential as some lucky 3's during a game thread.

that's what you think.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't mean to argue or take a side on this. But I am always interested in NBA playoff history stats. Thought others might be interested.

It's already been posted that MJ never had a playoff game of 11 pts or less.

Here is the list of 11 pts or less games Hakeem had at 30 minutes or more:
    • 1990 vs Lakers/Magic
      11 pts -- 11 rebounds -- 10 blocks (triple double)
    • 1996 vs Seattle
      6 pts -- 4 rebounds (a big woof!)
    • 1997 vs Seattle
      11 pts -- 12 rebounds -- 9 assists (a near triple double)
    Once in his whole career he had a true WOOF. It's not that common for the true GOATs. At 20 minutes or more, he only had 2 more, in 1999, against the Lakers at tail end of his career.

Dopamine likes this.
  5. francis 4 prez

i knew hakeem had bad stats in that series, but i had forgotten about one game being that specifically bad. I was going to point out (not that you didn't know) that hakeem was crazy double- and triple-teamed by seattle in those games, basically as soon as he caught the ball. but then, 4 rebounds. that is certainly a crazy bad stat line.

what made this so strange was just the straight-up passiveness by lebron. so much like harden in game 6, just in a game that doesn't really mean anything and that he could have rightfully assumed they would hold on to until a few minutes to go. and I don't wanna defend this game from lebron, but it would certainly make sense that jordan has fewer "less than x" games than lebron. some just due to how unbelievable he was at avoiding bad games, which is also one of lebron's great strengths, but also because he simply scored way more than lebron. and a lot of that was just due to shooting way more, whereas lebron obviously gets more assists.

#425 francis 4 prez, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It was Game 1. Get this, Hakeem, Clyde and Kenny combined for 0 free throw attempts.

In the first two games, Hakeem had 1 free throw attempt, total. 0 first game, and 1 second game.

Oh, well, probably weren't going to beat them anyhow, cause we just couldn't match up with their bench or PF play.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  7. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the real question why do the warriors need so much help, isnt curry the first uniamous mvp lol. dude couldnt carry a plastic container of his mouths gum guard if it didnt come stacked with and loaded even ones

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yeah, because it was an onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngoing pattern. I couldn't tell you anything about what most other posters post about, except a few. Tinman hates McGrady, "What" used to be a bandwagon fan but he's actually stuck with the Grizzlies for quite a while now (plus he's got some weird obsession with the 80s singer Tiffany), basketballaholic or whateverthe****hisnameis has a stupid negative obsession with Harden, and you're the "the basketball gods are always 100% against me" guy. I only criticized before b/c to me, it's a very limited perspective.

But you know this. You could apply that "we're cursed" label to nearly every team in the NBA at some point. You could even twist it to the point of absurdity. "Yeah, the Cavs won, but if they don't repeat, it's not worth it." Umm, yes, it is. Cavaliers won the first major sports championship in the city's history since the 1950s. OF COURSE IT MEANS SOMETHING. They could lose for the next 15 years and it would still mean something.

Again, it's all matter of perspective. Mine is something along the lines of "**** happens."

9. lalala902102001

Lebron had a bad game...probably because he thought the series was over.

Nothing to worry here. The King will come back and end this in two games.

10. francis 4 prez

yes, it's called venting during game threads. a quick search of my name appearing in your posts would seem to indicate that of the results, nearly every time you've ever responded to me was in a game thread. an irrational post during a game thread? next someone will tell me that there's a mean post on reddit somewhere. you seem to have the limited perspective.

i do, which is what I do with the vast majority of the rest of the GARM/Dish. make posts about stats, legacies, strategies, games that aren't in progress, etc. for some reason you just fixated.

are you arguing with me about something you just made up that i would say?

what's also strange is the post you have that Major quoted doesn't even fit the theme. it's me saying the cavs aren't going to be good enough to beat the warriors. pretty much the opposite of "my team is better but the gods are out to get me." I'm not worried about the basketball gods, I'm worried about kevin durant and steph curry being guarded by kevin love and kyrie irving.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The media hot takes after one game is so ridiculous. "Is this a series?", "Is Boston better without Isaiah Thomas?", "Lebron is a choker!"

Give me a break. It took the Celtics Marcus Smart, a career 29% 3 point shooter, hitting 7 3's to win on a last second shot. Cavs are going to close this out in 5.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not even sure what that stat is supposed to prove. MJ had always been the sole centerpiece of all his teams, even Pippen who was clearly the 2nd best wing player in his era was just called a "sidekick" and people are even claiming Jordan made him who he is. If you're that kind of guy obviously you will never score less than 11 pts because at least 50% of the team's possessions will go through you, I think Kobe will also have very minimal scoring nights of less than 10 pts except for that one game against the PIstons where he was trying to prove a point. Doesn't mean anything though esp. since Lebron is more of a Magic/all around beast than a dedicated scorer like MJ and Kobe.

People always lose their **** when it comes to MJ, like that stupid ass stat where they say MJ never lost a finals series....like not making it to the Finals and getting eliminated earlier is supposed to be better than making it to the Finals wtf.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I did the math and using binomial probability, a 29% 3 point shooter has a 0.74% chance of going 7/10 from 3. Celtics are not going to win again.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

0.74% of the time, Marcus Smart shoots 7 for 10 from 3 every time.

francis 4 prez, el gnomo and kevC like this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Youre acting like curry asked for all that help when that most of that group was drafted by the warriors. I havent seen curry cry for help like lebron has or even harden has.

el gnomo likes this.
  16. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Game 4 prediction. Cavs 123 celtics 99, Lebron 33 pts, 10 rbs, 8 assist

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No triple double? Not GOAT material.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You have to include the greater than 7 case too so it should be .865%. You are underscoring his probability by almost 17%.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You're right. I apologize. Cavs are doomed.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The argument for most people is that if somehow this team doesn't lose in 4, 5, or 6 games, all bets are off for game 7 because LeBron. Which isn't wrong. But it's not going to game 7. I'd be shocked if the Cavs win a single game.

I keep telling people Warriors are going to 16-0 the playoffs and it's probably going to actually happen.