1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The astros need to go all in this year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, May 15, 2017.

?

Go all in?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So far this year they are the best team in baseball. They have a good lineup and good pitching. However a few of their cornerstone pieces like Dallas, Altuve, Springer etc. are going to become free agents soon. They realistically have a 2 year window to be legit contenders. I think they really need a 2nd legit starter and maybe a closer. I have no confidence in Giles.

This is probably the best team since 98 and Hun got us randy Johnson. So I if they have to give up tucker or whomever I think they need to go for it this year.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My fear is the brass comes to the conclusion that we are plenty good enough as is and does nothing further to bolster the team.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Would you rather have a team that has a 30% chance to win every year for the next ten years, or a team that has a 50% chance to win this year, but reduces that 30% window to 5 years? The percentages are probably not accurate to real life, but you get my point.

gatsby, askball, Snake Diggit and 6 others like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This isn't the NBA. We could have easily the best team and still lose a 5 game series. We should make upgrades, but going "all in" on 2017 would be foolish.

I'm not sure why people are completely writing off the possibility Keuchel helping us beyond 2018 like that is some drop dead, we're finished deadline. Altuve has 2 more years after this one, Springer 3, and Correa 4.

We have to leverage helping the 2017 team, while also keeping this ship cruising for the next 3-5 years.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Can't believe I'm saying this but... The Cubs are still the Cubs and it doesn't seem to me that they are slowing down (unless their pitching completely collapses in the playoffs). The Indians seemed to have regressed some due to injuries since last season but it looks like the Yankees may be taking their place (or could be us!) and you also have the Nationals in the NL that look like a complete team now.

I voted yes on win now, but of course it depends on who we give up in compensation for who as well.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

It depends on your definition of "go all in". Do I think that Luhnow and Co. should make some moves for another good starter and a lefty reliever? Yes. Do I think it's necessary to go out and get the best pitcher on the trade market and the absolute best lefty reliever while surrendering a high amount of top end prospects? No. A guy like Chris Archer would be awesome to have, but Gerrit Cole would likely come at a cheaper price and is arguably just as good as Archer. Luhnow and Co. will be trying to add some valuable pieces while not screwing over the future of this franchise. They are in a very very good position for the next 5 years and it would be foolish to overlook that. I expect them to undoubtedly be much more active than they were last year but probably not much more active than they were in 2015.

Kim, kaleidosky and leroy like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So by definition you don't want to go all in

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

No. Incremental upgrades are one thing but it's the strong farm system that will keep this Astros team a perennial contender. Pull from it here and there when an opportunity presents itself, such as the McCann trade, but don't ever go all in.

Did you learn nothing from the dumpster fire that was the end of Drayton's time as owner? How did it work out for Oakland a few years ago when they decided to go all in? Samardzija and Lester sure put that team over the top.

verse, kaleidosky and No Worries like this.
  9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

All I know is I would prefer to never see Fiers on the mound starting a game for us again. The guy is beyond awful. Yes, we need 1 more arm in the starting rotation but everyone knows this and they will be competing with the Yankees for one.

Would also love to add a lefty or two in the pen. Brad Hand and Ryan Butcher are two who could be had on the cheap from the Padres.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros need to go all in this year ... and every year.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You sure?

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Who leads the entire league in HR's allowed and never seems to disappoint?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes. For Trout and Kershaw.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I agree with you. I was just trying to bait you in to a sarcastic tone on the matter. I got what I wanted LOL.

15. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

I'm tired of "just the tip" we need to go all in!!

16. conquistador#11

if by all in means acquire another top pitcher even if it means letting go 2 top prospects not named tucker or marte, then i say.. hell yes they need to go all in. I'm sure they will make calls. They always have, hamels would rather play for rangers. Gomez forgot how to play baseball. Those were possible big time moves. This offseason proved just that, in it to win it.

I'm more worried about the $2 nachos. They haven't had that promotion in 4 seasons!

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I see them getting aggressive and making a Gomez or Giles like trade.

Those both involved lots of prospects, but were done with the mindset of winning now.

And the Astros survived the Gomez trade that went bad, and will probably come out on top on the Giles trade regardless of him yet becoming dominant every single appearence.

They have the flexibility to optimize all potential weaknesses... and that's what contending teams do.

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

The front office obviously prefers trading for players that are more than half-year rentals (except for Kazmir). This shouldn't be news to anyone, that is why rumors assumed we were/are interested in Jose Quintana. The following players are cost-controlled with very team-friendly deals (in no particular order):

Jose Quintana
    Chris Archer
    Danny Duffy
    Paul Goldschmidt

Although I would absolutely love Goldy, he unfortunately isn't going anywhere. I also doubt the Rays end up trading Archer.

Quintana will probably be traded, but I think both front offices would have come to an agreement by now if they wanted to. Each are probably staying firm with their final offers/demands, so I'm not sure he'll get traded to the Astros.

That leaves us with Duffy, who could be packaged with intriguing talent and upgrades in the form of Kelvin Herrera, Eric Hosmer, or Lorenzo Cain.

Obtaining Duffy and Herrera could end up providing a very nice boost to our starting rotation, and another strong weapon for our bullpen.

Any other stars that are under team-friendly deals (i.e. cost-controlled)? Oh yea, that Mike Trout character, but he's going nowhere.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Seems that remember people complaining about Drayton McLane trading away minor league prospects and going all in.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would disagree with this. The front office, while cognizant of long term objectives, has shown no reluctance on acquiring rentals at rental prices (i.e. trade prospects for value of 1/2 year of a guy...not talking about rental prices that occurred over a decade ago). Only year Astros have been competitive, they acquired Kazmir and Gomez. They are open to either short deals or long deals as long as it doesn't drastically hurt short, medium, and long term goals.

The Astros may end up trading best prospect, 2nd best prospect, plus 2 additional prospects for someone, but expect them to explore options so they don't have to do this. Archer is probably only one Astros would consider trading both.