1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa finally coming around

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mightybosstone, May 6, 2017.

1. mightybosstone

As I'm sure many of you were, I was admittedly a little concerned about Carlos Correa's slow start to the season. Less than two weeks ago on April 22, Correa was hitting .196 through 18 games with only 1 HR, 3 RBIs and a pitiful .542 OPS.

But the tide seems to be turning, gentlemen. In 12 games over the last 13 days, the guy has been on fire. In May, he's hitting .438 with a .500 OBP and a 1.313 OPS. He's bumped his average up to .271 and his OPS up to .761 with 3 HR and 11 RBIs. Perhaps even more promising, he's actually coming up clutch again, hitting the game winning run in the top of the 10th tonight.

If Correa was the missing piece of the lineup, I think the Astros may have found him again. Hopefully he keeps this up...

DudeWah and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Is it coincidence that every player for the Stros that played in the WBC has either struggled, started slow, or just hasn't been "right"? CC, Beltran and Altuve haven't been terrible but haven't been themselves, Bregman has started slow, and Gregerson has been mediocre (and poor recently).

Great to see CC snapping out of it. Also great that this lineup still hasn't really started clicking on all cylinders yet and we have the best record in the AL.

mightybosstone likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse, we've had quite a bit of Correa slump discussion. IMO the reaction was GARM level for what amounted to about 2 bad weeks.

As for the WBC, I don't buy it playing a role for anybody but Bregman. He played one game (the first one if I remember) and then sat on his ass for 2 weeks. That s**t pissed me off. There's no guarantee that played a role, but Bregman started the year 5-28, but has since been a .300 hitter with a .398 OBP.

#3 sealclubber1016, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Nice! I didn't realize his bat had been coming around. Actually very solid number since 4/12 as you said: 123 WRC+, 10.8% BB, 16.9 K%. The only thing is a very weak ISO (0.057) but those are significantly better numbers than I thought.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The concern about Correa's April never happens had he balled out last season. He did not. Yes, he's young and maybe expectations were/are too high, but he didn't ball out, then started slowly this season.

Let's hope his Career Surge has begun.

mightybosstone likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Offensively, he had the 5th highest WAR in baseball last season, behind 4 MVP candidates (Trout, Altuve, Bryant, and Donaldson) and in front of others like Betts.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Take that for data.

8. Jay713

Jay713 Member

I don't think he's going to be the next A-Rod as many predicted. He's a .280/25/90 guy when it's all said and done.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He is 22 and just about 25 games short of 2 full seasons. Are you suggesting that he's already at or close to his ceiling? Correa will be a beast. Just imagine this kid when he's a little stronger and has the experience of 3000 at bats behind him. Correa was in a slump this year until recently. Also, he experienced a tough year last year as he was stil adjusting to major league pitching. Still had a good year and was 21. He is going to be a beast and you will see that this year as the team continues to come together.

BigM likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, he's already 22. At this point we have to accept that he's reached his peak.

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

haha yep.

And Alutve at 27 is just now in his prime.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Is CC allowed to juice it up?

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

By the time Arod was 22 he had a .358 .414 .631 1.045 line. I think Arod is pretty high benchmark. I would be happy with a 280/25/100 SS. It would be nicer if he was a 333/40/120 kind of guy, but how many short stops have ever done that?

texans1095 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that thinks that Carlos Correa is going to be Alex Rodriguez is going to be very disappointed.

Carlos Correa is one of the best young players in the game and has Hall of Fame type upside, but Alex Rodriguez is arguably the best shortstop in 130 years of baseball.

Rodman23 and texans1095 like this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Best HITTING shortstop

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But weren't you just complaining about how "overrated" he is?

I think it works both ways. Some have appropriate high expectations of him, but realize that he's not going to be there just yet. Some have high expectations of him and are disappointed by what he is now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the expectations. He was putting up numbers that very few, if any, have done at his age. Sure, he's not reaching A-Rod levels at this moment... but that shouldn't serve to either diminish future expectations nor should it cause current admonition of him being the "most overrated player in baseball."

The only reason for anybody being disappointed in his performance now (and calling him "overrated") would be due to that person having unreasonable expectations of a 22 year old to begin with.

BigM likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

22 years old in a slump of 2 weeks. I've seen 30 year old hall of famers struggle for more than that. It's a game of ups and downs.If it's like chris carter where he'd take the first three months off, then I'd be concerned.

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There's a large difference between Arod and those numbers. Arod is probably the greatest shortstop in history. (Steroids aside). We may not see a player like that for the next 50 years.

Carlos is essentially already putting out your numbers and we're just scratching the surface of his career. No one can be certain what his future holds but it's crazy to think that at 22 years old he's anywhere close to what he will be. With what he's already accomplished on raw talent alone plus his age and inexperience, it's no wonder why a lot of people project greatness.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Using a special formula I've created I call it the " the henry gonzalez formula" inspired by henry rodriguez and luis gonzalez I was able to conclude ....

If you inject an unknown substance, i'm not saying steroids that would be crazy, to those stats of .280/25/90 they'd translate to .295/37/130.

But of course A-rod has always been clean. Stand up guy, never anything fake about him like J-lo he keeps it r-e-a-l

#19 conquistador#11, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Doesn't WAR account for position? He was 60th in OPS.

Carlos is very good offensively for a SS and his defense has improved every season.

He's still young, he's surging, and has a bright future.