1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Nov 2, 2003.

1. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I'm not saying that we SHOULD trade Cat, but if we did, then I think someone like Brent Barry would be the kind of player I'd want for him. I think Barry would be smart enough to pick up on our system pretty quickly. Plus, he's able to play both the 1 and 2 and is a more consistent 3 pt. threat than Mobley. The thing that Cat has on Barry is age and a guaranteed contract (Barry's is up after this year). Plus Barry has had some problems with tendonitis. Those would be my main concerns in pulling the trigger on a trade like that.

Like I said before, I really like Mobley. However, if you think that we wouldn't be an improved team by having a healthy Barry in his place, then I'd have to strongly disagree with you.

2. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

i think as long as we win, who CARES who is scoring the points. if mobely has 100 points in a game by shooting 70 shots, who cares, as long as the other team has less than we do.

3. brooksstephens

WUT A DUMBASS

4. x_trepidation_x

If Mobley gets traded...please no Ricky Davis

5. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I think mobley contributes a big part to the team dynamics. Not every team can have a roster of legends like the Lakers, and I think although Mobley might not fit into that category, but does that really matter, he is still a solid player. Hey, maybe after a season under Van Gundy he might learn to change his game and start taking smarter shots. Its not like yao, Francis and Cato are the only players who can benefit from the new coach.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but while playing in the west, its best for us to keep Cato at the 4 and have Taylor coming off the bench. If anyone who tries to remember, when Taylor plays against the top tier 4's, he usually gets into foul trouble not to mention he can't rebound or defend to save his life. Everyone wanted to have this "banger" and now they have one we want to put him on the bench for a softee. I think Taylor coming in when Ming or Francis goes to the bench gives him a chance to give the Rockets some scoring punch with the 2nd lineup. Starting him takes shots away from Francis and Ming and kills the flow for the 2nd teamers. When Yao and Francis goes to the bench,Taylor and Mobley should pick up their scoring.

7. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Keep off the Cat's back and let him breathe; I really think he's a great piece to the team and everybody who doesn't agree is just wrong.

You cant replace shooting and athleticism with just any ol' body in the league.

Mobley is a special player and a good Rocket!

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't think Mobley is as good as Francis, but if I have to trade one of them, I'd trade Francis.

I'm not saying Mobleyis better talent, or anything, but the guy is a shooting guard, his primary responsibility is to shoot the ball, and he does an above average job there.

--daoshi

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The only reason this makes sense is that we might posibly get equal value trading Wink but if we trade Cat there is no way we get equal value back without trading multiple players.

The best idea is to let them learn from JVG and grow from one of the most talented backcourts in the league into the BEST backcourt in the league.

GO ROCKETS!!!!!

10. aries323

aries323 Member

zzzzz.... SHUT THE F*CK UP..... going back to sleep.... zzzzz....

11. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

if we were even going to consider anythnig like that, we'd be better off moving Francis to SG and trading for a PG. As I said earlier though, I think Mobley should stay.

12. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Face it...all of you. Yao, Francis, Cato and MOBLEY are guys you are going to have to get used to because THEY ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME!!! You can whine and cry and think of all the idiot scenarios you want, Barry for Mobley???please, it is not going to change anything and is really doing nothing but annoying the majority. So get used to the fact that we are winning with what we have, or get off the board

Venting Frustration,
    J

13. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Well said....As has been said here before, if the Rockets were made up of the Western Conf. all stars..a bunch of morons would want to trade them for the Eastern Conf. all stars.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mobley is the most consistent 3 point shooter we got. If you are paying attention he is only taking what the defense is giving him. All of the players are doing the same. Nobody is complaining about how many shots they are getting except the people who don't matter like the complainer who started this stupid post. Mobley gets an A+ from me thru 4 games for his defense and hitting the outside shot. THANK YOU MOBLEY FOR BEING A SHOOTING GUARD! Those who hate on shooting guards who take too many shots are morons who know nothing about basketball...why the heck do they call these guards SHOOTING GUARDS! Because they are the best shooters on the team. Mobley has accepted being the #3 guy on the team and yet you guys still want to trade him. SHUT UP ALREADY! enough with changing crap around stick with something and go with it. TINSLEY AND HARRINGTON...HOLY SHIZNIT!

15. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

At least Cuttino is saying all the right things on Rockets.com:

After Thursday’s practice Jackson referred to Mobley as having the potential of being a shut-down defender. “I don’t know,” Mobley said. “I appreciate it, but I’m just going to go out there and play hard. Play with the most energy that I have and the best possible way that I can play. Jeff (Van Gundy) expects a lot out of me. I expect a lot out of myself. So whatever he wants me to do, I’m going to do. I know it might not seem like that, but for me personally, a really good defensive night from me is better for us than an offensive night."

16. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Um... I dunno if this has already been posted, because I didn't bother with reading through the whole thread. In any case, through 4 games Mobley has averaged, contrary to popular belief, 11 shots per game. He's scoring 16 ppg on 50% shooting, and over 61% from three. That seems good enough to me to warrant that MASSIVE amount of shots.

Yao is averaging 9.5 shots per game, putting in 15.3 ppg on 58% shooting. Granted, Yao should be getting a few more shots per game, but it's not as if Mobley is stealing those shots from him.

Reminder: We're 3-1! We just won two games on the road, one against the best in the East. And the Nets have no room to b**** about missing players; we don't have E. Griffin, Piatkowski, or A. Griffin. So we melted down one game against Memphis (we still only lost by 8), but it's still a totally new system and we can't expect everything to be perfect all the time.

My point is, quit b****ing at Mobley whenever he's been playing phenomenally this year. You're clearly some statmonger who's concerned with nothing more than Yao getting his own numbers as opposed to wanting the Rockets to get the W.

17. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

I like the way Mobley is moving the ball this year, no need to trade him. But what we can/could really use is a Darrell Armstrong or Anthony Carter type player to help out in the backcourt. We dont need another allstar, just a solid backup that could relieve Stevie of some PG duties at times.

18. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

I need a Trade Fix !

Houston trades: PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Mike Sweetney (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    C Kurt Thomas (14.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -12.1 ppg, -2.3 rpg, and -2.0 apg.

New York trades: SG Mike Sweetney (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    C Kurt Thomas (14.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.8 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    Change in team outlook: +12.1 ppg, +2.3 rpg, and +2.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

:D

19. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Thank God none of the Rockets fans are in charge of the player personnel moves cause right now the only current Rocket we would have would be Yao. Man quit whining and B*tchin and enjoy the season. Mobley looks under control and has improved his game, I mean he is splitting people left and right and taking good shots. Steve is being wasted as a PG who brings the ball up the court and passes it to someonelse who dumps it into Yao. There's gotta be a way JVG can use Stevie as a Kobe-like compliment to Yao. The team looks better because it won a close game on the road, something they have had trouble doing in the past. Give this team some time, I believe they will finish 6th, ahead of the Suns.

20. The Voice of Reason

Bravo!

Its a shame to put a newbie on the ignore list, but this turkey has earned his place.