1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBALLBREAKDOWN: Is James Harden Breaking the NBA Rule Book?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Either way, with more and more players doing it, it's becoming unwatchable and the NBA is probably gonna adjust the rules

amaru likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I just don't see how the offensive player actively hooking the arm of a defender should be a defensive foul, let alone a shooting foul. IMO, it's worse than the rip through move. And I am not just talking about Harden. More and more players are using this tactic. If Westbrook was using this against Beverley, this board would explode with accusation of dirty play. (Of course it didn't happen because Westbrook was not smart enough to learn it. :p)

3. today

today Contributing Member

Technically, I don't see any difference between Harden getting fouled/THEN deciding to shoot, and someone getting fouled on the way to the basket and then deciding to shoot. Either way, you have a choice of what you want to do after the foul occurs, either pass the ball or shoot it.

IMO, this is a classic continuation play. Start calling Harden differently and you'll have to redefine the entire continuation rule.

I love me some Loophole James =)

As for the "hooking", James is not gaining an "unfair advantage", so I think that ought to be a no-call.

cbs1507 and heypartner like this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

IT's bballbreakdown was pretty funny :p

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If they called it like they did in th 60s, players like Isaiah Thomas might not even be in the league, let alone be a star. But like Coach Nick said, they've been allowing carrying for decades. They aren't going to change it. And they aren't going to diminish the entertaining value of the game by disallowing such exciting moves. Kids on the street around the world are emulating these dribbling techniques. Basketball has changed.

6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I can understand the position, but it's a matter of sequence. A defensive player cannot impede the progress of an offensive player unless defensive position has been established. So the defenders arm shouldn't be there unless he's already in front of Harden, planted. That doesn't happen in screens unless you can go through them. Yea, the hooking is definitely active on Harden's part, but it's not there if the defender's arm isn't illegally there. You have to call the first foul. I'm not arguing that it doesn't make the game a bit more technical and therefore annoying but turning it into an offensive foul is too far. Sequentially speaking, the offensive foul wasn't there even if you consider that worth of an offensive foul. An offensive foul gives the defense a net benefit.

Anyways, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It's just that versus a traditional offensive foul, this move neither endangers nor represents an overwhelming disadvantage for the defensive player. How do I know it doesn't favor offensive players as much? Because you can keep your hands back as a defender, a la PBev or Avery Bradley. Also, Harden is often caught taking horrible shots when it isn't called. It's nearly an all-or-nothing play and therefore risky in itself. It's just that Harden has lightning quick recognition when he sees these opps.

We could just do what Bullard suggested: have it be a defensive foul but reward only an in-bounds play unless the shot is already thrusting up and out.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The one where clearly he hooks Gibson is probably offensive.

But cookie jar is cookie jar.

8. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

There is a pattern of the league changing the rule book to reduce the advantage of a dominant Houston player. No one could defend Dream without playing zone, and zone was illegal. It wasn't called because if they did, Hakeem would have shot 2 every trip down the court, and eventually they took the rule out.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The defense for it not being a shooting foul (that harden is being reactive to whistle blowing) is kind of silly. The only way this move works at all is because Harden is predicting where the defenders arms are likely to be when they go over the top of the screen.

The fact that it doesn't have a 100% success rate, yet you can't call any of the calls flops, makes any reactive argument inherently fallacious.

jevjnd likes this.
  10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I saw Chris Paul molest one of the young Utah guards by reaching around him with his left arm and holding him in place while he eventually stole the ball with his right hand. And all I was thinking was, if he did that to Harden, James would elevate on reflex and be shooting three free throws.

A lot of defenders get away with all they can. Young players like Capela get mugged all the time. All the coaches are going to be coaching what James and Nene do so well on the pick and roll, and defenders are going to have to do a better job moving their feet and keeping their arms in. If they can't, they have to go under the pick and allow the three point shot.

jevjnd likes this.