1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with everything you said, but maybe partly because I never liked Dwight even before he "chose us"

But you got me thinking about the choosing us reason. Have you ever said to yourself, I'll always like such and such player because we drafted him? :)

Kinda ironic that we often like players forever just because we chose them (like how parents always love their children), but them choosing us has a mercenary feel to it that often doesn't come with homie loyalty, while others take the relationship angle of "he likes me" and forever likes them back, similar to stalker loyalty to a celeb

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would have no problem being his fan when he was a Rocket but he declined fast and did not hold together the D very well at the end.

He was not the mentally strongest and always goofed around.

Let bygones be bygones.

If we drafted him, of course I would root harder for him. He would be Orlando Dwight.

There are players I like because of work ethic, how they are as a person, how they are as a player.

And there are players that folks like because they are so talented.

You should respect every player unless they are dirty, fraudulent, a-holes.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Not really. It is always about what happens after that matters (to me). There are plenty of players the Rockets have drafted that will never play for the Rockets; I don't have any feelings for them. There are plenty of players that didn't pan out for the Rockets too; I don't like them just because they were once drafted by the Rockets.

Llull, drafted by the Rockets, we know will probably never play here, I don't automatically like him because the Rockets drafted him (I like what he could potentially do for the Rockets). I don't dislike him because he chooses to stay oversees.

Players like AB, Chuck Hayes, Landry, Cuttino, (un)drafted by the Rockets make you like them forever for what they brought to the team not simply because they were picked by the Rockets.

of course I root harder for their success if the Rockets draft them.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. You hit the nail on the head, hp.

"He likes me when no one else did, so I like him back!" is equal to "Dwight Howard chose us when no one else would, so I'm now a fan!"

It's as if some Rocket fans can't believe Dwight Howard would chose Houston. I always think Houston is a great destination. Why wouldn't you want to come here and play? If they choose not to, it's their loss.

"He chose us" argument is just weird to me. it screams of desperation, a lack of self esteem and self respect IMO. It's why I cringe when Rockets fans use it as a reason to like Dwight Howard. Use another reason.. any other reason.

#783 DreamShook, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The Dwightmare begins again.

5. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

Should've bought into the PnR role...

I wonder though how it would've been if he signed with the Warriors in 2013.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

What he said? (can't watch now)

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's weird, I almost feel bad for him now. All that talent and Clint Capela is already more useful in today's NBA. So bizarre...

8. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

He looks like a woman in that doo-rag.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What more can you say about a guy who had to have an medical intervention because of a candy addition? He's just not a man that comprehends things like a normal person would -- makes you wonder the way his play fell off a cliff this year if he isn't scarfing down massive amount of sugar again.
    _____

Dwight Howard used to eat a medically alarming amount of candy in a day

Dwight Howard is a world-class athlete, and most athletes of Dwight Howard’s stature take their diets seriously. It’s generally how their incredible physiques are possible. That wasn’t always the case for Howard.

We learned in 2014 that Howard used to eat 24 candy bars in a day, but a new feature story from ESPN revealed just how ridiculous Howard’s love of candy truly was. With the Lakers, Howard looked to be in fantastic shape on the outside. Dude was jacked. But in reality, his addiction (yes, addiction) to candy led to an apparent deteriorating health. He had constant tingling sensations, and eventually, his candy habit required a medical intervention.

Via ESPN:

By February’s All-Star break, it was time for a full-blown intervention, and Dr. Cate Shanahan, the Lakers’ nutritionist, led the charge, speaking to Howard by phone from her office in Napa, California. Howard’s legs tingled, he complained, but she noticed he was having trouble catching passes too, as if his hands were wrapped in oven mitts. Well, he quietly admitted, his fingers also tingled. Shanahan, with two decades of experience in the field, knew Howard possessed a legendary sweet tooth, and she suspected his consumption of sugar was causing a nerve dysfunction called dysesthesia, which she’d seen in patients with prediabetes. She urged him to cut back on sugar for two weeks. If that didn’t help, she said, she vowed to resign.

Yikes. And there was more:

To alter Howard’s diet, though, Shanahan first had to understand it. After calls with his bodyguard, chef and a personal assistant, she uncovered a startling fact: Howard had been scarfing down about two dozen chocolate bars’ worth of sugar every single day for years, possibly as long as a decade. “You name it, he ate it,” she says. Skittles, Starbursts, Rolos, Snickers, Mars bars, Twizzlers, Almond Joys, Kit Kats and oh, how he loved Reese’s Pieces. He’d eat them before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner, and like any junkie, he had stashes all over — in his kitchen, his bedroom, his car, a fix always within reach. She told his assistants to empty his house, and they hauled out his monstrous candy stash in boxes — yes, boxes, plural.

Howard managed to kick the candy habit. After all, he had to — his health and wellbeing depended on it. But wow, that was a staggering amount of candy for one person.

You can read the full story here.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He has never grown up.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Found an article with quotes.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/basketb...med-doomed-from-start/tCgLNXHF36EzWt7xB7FdyO/

Basically, the same thing. Except at least here in Houston he was playing and complaining about touches and in Atlanta he's not really seeing the court much.

Also, Dwight wants to do whatever it takes to win...unless that means sitting on the bench because he stagnates offenses...

Vivi likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I'm still a bit confused as to how you can zealously support Melo while hating on Dwight. They're both losers in terms of what they've accomplished in the NBA, and neither one of them care much about winning NBA championships. They have a lot in common.

Maybe I jumped the shark on some of my posts there about Melo, but that was never my intention. I wasn't going for likes or kudos, It's just that I genuinely do not like Melo or Dwight because I don't think they care about winning an NBA championship.

Maybe, I jumped the dude shark there but I also jumped the cheetah. ;)

mikol13 and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

So when is he going on TNT with Kenny and Chuck to talk about how things in Atlanta didn't go how he wanted and how he wants to amend things?

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Same end result as his previous teams since he's left Orlando.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I bet Dwight didn't think he would be out in the first round when he left James Harden and the Rockets. At least he got paid.

heypartner likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You haters don't understand that Dwight Howard is the future. He will make you humans obsolete.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

“It was very difficult,” Howard said Saturday. “I want to play. I want to be out on the floor. I want to make a difference. I want to make an impact, and I can’t do that on the bench.”

Poor dwert will never understand how bad he is. You were benched for a reason, bro. You were dead weight out there.

plutoblue11 and macho GRANDE like this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I've had more than enough of his bs. This is the same song and dance except he added a "I'm pissed off" Kobe wrinkle to his schtick.

Howard is not a winning player. Howard is not willing to do whatever it takes to win. Yes he's in the gym in the offseason, yes he works hard in the offseason, but NO it does not translate consistently on the court. Howard does not have what it takes mentally to be one of the best, end of story.

I cannot stand to listen to his garbage anymore. You were on the bench because you're not effective and cannot be trusted to do what it takes to WIN.

19. the shark

the shark Member

You all are going to give roslolian a heart attack with all this Dwight hate. In his mind he's a still a "star" (don't you realize he's been to the finals), and he needs to stop being blamed for everything ("global warming", the "tuna shortage", and the "polar ice caps melting").

plutoblue11 likes this.
  20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Article says Budenholzer is going to meet with Dwight. He needs to read him the riot act. Tell him his days of getting postup touches in the paint are over. He needs to work on getting his speed back, probably by losing weight. He needs to focus on defense and rebounding. He needs to switch on picks and close out on jump shooters. His only touches will be off pick and rolls. Watch tapes of DeAndre and Capella, not old clips of Hakeem working in the post. He needs to totally adjust his mindset to stay remotely relevant in the NBA.

plutoblue11 and Easy like this.