1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one who has trouble with...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

...communication over cell phone telephones with their parents?

I love my folks, I really do but the aggravation level regarding them and cell phones is reaching ever greater heights. Forget why my mom even has one, you can't reach her on it....and then her voicemail says "You've reached....." NO YOU HAVEN'T UGHHH

Then my dad is suddenly a talk-to-text guy but he has a drawl about him...and it just doesn't work right about half the time lol...which is funny but also annoying. And he doesn't listen, forget it. Whatever you say, he hears some weird version of what he thinks you said. Example. They took my son's daycare cup. Supposed to just leave it there. I say, hey, you has cup? He says yes. I say oh ok, can you return cup? He says no, not today. Oh, ok thanks. So I give the boy my cup, which isn't a big deal but isn't his cup and now I have no drink. Then my dad calls me and says well I went to the dollar store and the only cup they had was a sports/biking cup so I bought it and dropped it off. WHAT??? He wouldn't return the kid's cup which he isn't supposed to have anyway but then goes out to purchase another cup which isn't a kid's cup and drops it off when he said he couldn't return the damn cup. And calls me proudly to tell me about it and is audibly offended when I'm not just as excited. You can't make this up.

And I really do love my folks, but how on earth can I reach these people to tell them hey, shenanigans on this whole situation without a meltdown? They're good people, they do a lot for me but the shenanigans are reaching ridiculous proportion.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

my folks scream on the phone for no reason. as if they're phoning in the middle of normandy in 1944.

Fyreball, htownrox1, jev5555 and 3 others like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My parent's answering machine at home currently has the following greeting message: "Hi..we're sorry we missed your call. Please give us a call back. We're waiting to hear from you."

It completely negates the whole point of an answering machine :) I don't want to call you back...I want to leave a message and have you call me back!!! :) My kids cry laughing nearly every time they call and hear that.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My Father-in-law sends all emails and texts in ALL CAPS.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF YOU AND THE BOYS I TOOK LAST SATURDAY

We constantly tease him about it but he keeps doing it. I think he does it just to pull our chains.

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Could your father have a hearing problem? I do and it is hard to hear on the phone. Thinking about getting one of the phones that put the words on a small screen so you can read it.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

He's clearly upset that you didnt take the picture yourself. They do have selfie sticks on the market you know! lol

7. Poloshirtbandit

My father in law's answering machine was full and wouldn't accept any more messages. He told me he didn't know how to use it, so I went through it with him and wrote step by step instructions on how to check messages. He either didn't understand or just refused to learn so we changed the message to say "He isn't available, please do not leave a message. Just try to call back in a few minutes."

Not ideal, but it works for the most part. He was missing important doctor calls and things like that.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Assumption: My mom once thought she was accidentally intercepting messages between me and my sister...
    Fact: she was in a group text with me and my sis.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Like, nobody runs as fast as they did 20 years ago right? But also nobody hears as well as they did 20 years ago...and he does work at a shop and doesn't take very good care of his hearing...so yes and no because it's not like he needs hearing aides. Ok? So I've acknowledged that. We all have, and aside from my mom who calls him with her car phone and thinks anyone can hear her whisper over the road, we all speak to him clearly. Audibly. Alright? So I've acknowledged that he doesn't hear whatever the equivalent of hearing is to 20/20 vision.

The. Man. Does. Not. Listen.

You know this because he's said yes we have the cup. And no I'm not gonna bring it back today. He's understood and replied coherently in the moment. And then he calls me and says (instead of bringing the kids cup) he's gone out and purchased another cup (because he's also understood that I left my adult size, albeit sufficient in a pinch cup) that isn't a kids cup and dropped it off. He didn't take the cup that he wasn't willing to bring. He went out a bought another kind of unnecessary and frankly less useful cup and delivered it.

And he wants credit for doing something you didn't ask for...

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Also, needed to speak with my mom today. Called twice. No answer yet. I think my completed call to mom % is actually lower than Corey brewers 3 % earlier this year.

11. LAM

LAM Member

Messaging app has turned dreary, drawn out sounds of inaneness into simple exchanges that get right to the point. At least most of the time.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My parents dont know how to say byeover the phone. They just say what they have to say and hang up. Its so damn infuriating when you have a question and when you ask it midway they have already hung up.

Rox11 and Dankstronaut like this.
  13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My dad fell for the prince in nigeria email who wanted to give him money from nigerian lottery. Good thing he ran it by me first.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I'm gonna pistol-whip the next person that says "shennanigans".

My granny is 91, it's a constant struggle. Sorry to say but unfortunately it doesn't get any easier.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

My grandparents definitely don't know how cell phones work. My one grandmother uses a stylus for her smart phone and you can barely understand her on phone calls. The other never turns hers on to "save battery", completely negating the purpose of it. I can tell they're only to get more neurotic as time goes on to, and I'm sure my folks will be like that at some point. Not looking forward to it.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

That's rough. That would annoy me too. That's not even proper Walkie talkie etiquette lol
    I don't use that word lightly! But +2 on the reference

I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I still think my mom is going to answer her phone when I call.

17. Buck Turgidson

Me, 9AM every morning:

ring...ring...ring...ring...

Hello?

Hi Granny!

HELLO?

HI GRANNY!

HELLO!?!?! (she has a pair of $2000 hearing aids that she refuses to wear)

Then she pushes the "boost" button volumizer on her phone...then she calls me by my uncle's name, then we start having a conversation.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A wall of text. One big run-on sentence. Rambling streams of consciousness. Basically the only way my mom knows how to send a text message.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My father in law once called my mother in law because he found how to make a big A on the keyboard, but he couldn't figure out how to make a big 7, and was getting frustrated.

BabyClutch and Dankstronaut like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

lol that's just funny
    kind of side note but i set up my grandparents computer for them because "they didn't know how"....it was fine, i didn't mind but then my grandma was really interested in it and was like how do you know where all these wires go? i suppose i should've lied but that's not me and i just said "oh, they're color coded" and made her feel dumb. didn't mean to...mom thought it was funny though. old people!
    yeah. i get called a grammar nazi regularly but it doesn't even phase me anymore. like, literacy is a huge expectation in communication? people spell things wrong and i just can't help myself. a guy was like oh "synicks" or something don't be synical! cynics is spelled cynics OH thanks GN. I was like that's fine but at least you won't spell cynics wrong again lol...