1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Umm...heard local D/FW sports radio today and they were talking the Rangers are looking into acquiring a power hitter. Two names that came up as possiblilies included Chris Carter and Mike Napoli.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

From /r/baseball thread on reddit, but I thought this post was interesting:

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This would be more relevant/interesting if it made everyone split the 1-run games instead of reversing it, to see what the records "should" be.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just divide the numbers in () by 2. For example, the Rangers were 36-11. The list changes them to -25. Just add in 12.5 wins. They go to 82.5 and 80.5. The same as Houston.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

LonghornFan and bobrek like this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I could just see Chris Carter killing us.

Add that to Tyson Ross & Andrew Cashner turning the clock back.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Here's to hoping the Rangers are so far back that they are in full fire sale mode by the time Tyson Ross is ready.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It will just be like 2 years ago when the acquired Hamels. That was an acquisition about the next year, since they are so far back...

The last 2 years have been so fun, yet so sucky.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Nice wish. I would be happy if we just played .500 against these guys this upcoming year.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Biggest factor this season, like every season, will be health. Astros are better than the Rangers on paper, with Napoli/Carter.

McCullers is the biggest variable. I'm confident Keuchel can post <3.50 if he's healthy. We can survive (and advance) with 3-5 posting 4.25, collectively. Altuve can fall to .880 OPS. The bullpen is beast.

Astros haven't had good offense the past two seasons. We not only acquired better OPS guys, but they make much better contact their replacees. That's gonna be huge!!

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

bump, apologies if unnecessary

Houstunna and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

excuse me if i've said this before, and if I offend anyone then.....

F the rangers

msn, wouldabeen23 and MadMax like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

And twice on Sundays....Howevah...

What are knowledgeable people saying about Odor's new contract? Especially in relation to other guys in his situation buying out years of arb and FA?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As always, favors team on what they would be expected to pay if they waited, but Odor gets security of knowing he's set for life and can provide for family back home. Seems very fair considering the Rangers are taking the risk. As such, I don't like it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Saw a funny blurb in the paper this morning. The Indians broadcast crew had the 6 year old son of their GM in the booth during a game over the weekend. They jokingly asked him if his dad was working on any deals. He said "yeah, he wants to get Lindor to play here for 7 more years". Announcers pretty much said "Well, we better not talk about that anymore" and changed the subject.

The market is being set for a Correa extension, if he's interested in signing one.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm very knowledgeable. I say I love Odor with the Rangers, because I hate them both so much. Also, his OBP is terrible and he's an error machine. I want Odor on the field when the Astros knock the Rangers out of playoff contention this season (please, God!!)

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I really hate to say it....I really do. I feel like Correa is biding time here. I feel like "TeamCJCorrea" has Yankee pinstripes written all over them. Hope I'm wrong. Just my gut. I realize that's not imminent, obviously.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not seeing the pinstripes. Harper and Manchado are free agents first and I think two ~400 million dollar contracts on books may be enough to slow them from adding another (possible 500 million) one. For Astros to extend Correa it is going to take at least 200+ million (probably around 250-300 million depending on what happens this year). That said, I expect Correa to have a huge jump at plate this year as he starts to really punish inside fastballs regularly.

#318 Joe Joe, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He needs to make the leap, first. He's not a $400MM player today. If he does...

One of the really cool things about the baseball draft - some of these kids are so young & inexperienced that it really becomes an all-hands-on-deck experience for the players' families - *especially* for the foreign players. Don't underestimate that with Correa. The Astros have taken VERY good care of him and his family; that will have long-term ramifications.

MadMax likes this.
  20. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

"Roogie" is the mascot for the little rangers, sports radio up here in DFW worships him and his name is trotted out often as proof that teams are "scared" of the rangers, and "xyz team better watch out or Roogie is gonna blah blah blah". It's like he's their bad-ass big brother that drives a SD 455 Trans-am and only came to the league to do two things: drink some beer and whip some ass...and he's always running low on beer.

MadMax and SWTsig like this.