1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessment of NBA coaches

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Mar 19, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

While you can't just put some inexperienced fan and expect success, I've often wondered if the effect of NBA head coaching is overrated. (It is definitely WAY overrated in MLB).

No coach is going to do poorly coaching the Warriors. Similarly no coach is going to make the Nets successful. Ultimately coaches don't play and there are some coaches that seem to do nothing but manage player minutes.

With that in mind, let's group coaches using letter grades:
    A: Widely considered a top coach
    B: Above average coach
    B-/C+: Average or "Replacement Level" coach
    C: Below average coach
    D: Widely considered a bad coach
    F: Totally clueless coach

Of current coaches, what are examples of A, B, C and D grade coaches?

And honestly, how much difference would it make if you swapped a D coach with an A coach and vice versa?

TheFreak likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

A - Popovich
    B - Mike AntoniO
    B-/C+ - Steve CLifford
    C - Alvin Gentry
    D - Byron Scott

F - Kevin McFail

But coaching doesn't matter

- Dorrell Maury

3. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Wait, you are posting on the Rockets' main message board, a team that changed coaches but kept mainly the same roster yet surpassed expectations by every metric, both quantitative and qualitative in the very first season of the coaching change, a coach that brings with him a very specific style, a style that has been emulated by warriors to take them over the hump and win a ring and break records themselves...and you are questioning the impact of coaches and their staff?

Nevermind that we are in Texas, which has Pop's Spurs and what Carlisle is doing in Dallas during their "rebuilding".

Patience and roslolian like this.
  4. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I used to think Doc rivers was the most overrated coach. In many ways he is. In 8 seasons from 1999-2007, he never won more than 45 games in a crappy eastern conference. Then he got the big 3 in 2007-08 and his coaching career mysteriously exploded.

But then I think about how nobody every really considers him among the great coaches in the league. So Doc might be the most properly rated coach in the league.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

4-6 elite coaches, 4-6 bottom feeders & everyone else in between.

Vivi, da_juice and Nook like this.
  6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Unless you think Mchale is the equivalent of taking some random fan from the stands to coach, I doubt he was a grade F coach except as hyperbole.

7. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

What grade would you give Scott Brooks and Erik Spoelstra?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scott Brooks is B/B-
    Erik Spoelstra will never get credit from fans but I consider him top tier(A).

tmactoyao likes this.
  9. JazzLakerHater

I thought Doc was great in Boston. But that shine has completely worn off since coming to the Clippers.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McFail is a F grade Coach. Why do you think with so many openings and Milk Hair practically crying to be hired, no team has given him a chance?

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

My friend was dumbfounded when he found out McHale used to play basketball, let alone be one of the greats. Based on how woeful a coach he was

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

From 2007 on he was great in Boston after adding KG and Ray Allen. From 2004-2007, he was at best average at a time when the eastern conference was hot garbage.

13. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

What makes Spoelstra so great? Anyone could have won with the Lebron era super teams.

If anything, Brooks > Spoelstra. Would Spoelstra have achieve as much with Wizards as Brooks?
    Also Casey > Spoelstra.

If anything Spoelstra is the very definition of a "replacement level" coach. Not terrible but not exceptional.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Looking at the list of coaches, I'd say:
    Elite: Pop, Stevens, Carlisle. I love Stevens - don't think he's elite yet but I also think he's better than the coaches in the good category so I just threw him in this tier.
    Good: SVG, Kerr, Snyder, MDA, Spoelstra
    Above average: Doc, Casey, Thibs, Stotts, Bud
    Average: Brooks, Lue, Joerger, Clifford, Malone
    Below average: Watson, McMillan, Kidd, Donovan, Vogel, Brown
    Trash: Gentry, Hoiberg, Hornacek
    Jury is out on Atkinson, Walton, and Fizdale because first year but they've mainly been subpar. Walton is ok I guess

Only put like 5 minutes of thought into this, so you could probably switch around some of the coaches within categories though

#14 tmactoyao, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I completely agree. The heat were completely re-tooled in the off season, and they got off to a really slow start. I think their turn around has been fantastic, and a lot of the credit should go to Spoelstra. I know we only get to hear bits and pieces of motivational speeches, but I have always liked where that guy's head is at.

I know less about Brooks, but he seems to be getting a ton out of that wizards team.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kept the same roster? Is this a joke? Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Nene, and now Lou Williams is keeping the same roster to you? Adding players who can actually make 3s when your front office dictates that you only shoot 3s is not a big deal? Getting rid of Dwight Howard so Harden can play his game is not a big deal? Despite all that, MDA is going to need a strong finish to match McHale's 57 wins, even with significantly more talent at his disposal.

da_juice, Easy and heypartner like this.
  17. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

He had two seasons of 54 and 56 wins. If he was so woeful, then clearly coaching is overrated and doesn't matter.

How many more wins would an grade A coach have made in those two seasons? Probably negligible!

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not a McHale fan. But those who say that he is an F coach tell me what happened in 2014-2015.

da_juice and TheFreak like this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You tell me what McHale would've done without the MVP calibre play of James Harden.

What exactly would McHale have done when option A through Z didn't involve "pass to James and let him go one-on-one"?? That's an intriguing question and one I know you don't have an answer for - not only you - but no one has an answer for. Why? Because McHale never once showed an inkling of coaching pedigree or acumen.

There's a reason he's never going to get another coaching job in this league.

Take that to the bank.

EDIT: Let me re-phrase that. There's reason he's never going to get another coaching job in this league with a franchise that isn't Sacramento-quality.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The Season Harden went super saiyan, carried his sorry ass team to second seed, and would have been MVP if it wasn't for the media dick riding stephen curry. Mchale literally has no game plan/sets. Harden was just clutch in those iso plays, and team was playing with momentum.

Mchale wouldn't be F, probably C-/D+ in my opinion.