1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Without Nene Rockets Too Small

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 18, 2017.

1. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Nene is serviceable but only in short spurts. Capela is undersized at times and gets pushed around by bigger more physical bigmen. Ofcourse you dont notice this every game in regular season, but its something foward thinking fans see as a problem in the playoffs. Teams will KILL us on the boards

saleem likes this.
  2. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Sullinger is the wrong kind of size.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sullinger/Sanders would. not. play.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Have you ever considered that in the playoffs we will make a much more concerted effort in team rebounding.

heypartner likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Yes this is true for now, but Sanders had 3 blocks in 12 mins. before fouling out in his Dleague debeut --> it is still there --> all that is needed is time to knock of the rust.

D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite Member

Hakeemthagreat knows what he is talking about....I am considered a troller until we lose in the second round (due to rebounding) then I am all of a sudden a genius.

7. hakeemthagreat

I certainly hope we don't lose lol. But you're right

8. dwhite

dwhite Member

Agree, huge fan and the thought of losing early in the playoffs makes me sick....that is why I am so passionate that we get Nene the backup help that is needed.

9. dmoneybangbang

You're not saying anything that isn't obvious...

I guess some folks are naive enough to think all the weaknesses can be solved by the trade deadline.

10. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

Nene keeps improving as the season moves on. He's a smart veteran. Notice how he slowed Jokic down on Sat night? Capela just can't bang around with the bulky centers. He'll get us a few good alley-oops, but Nene moves great without the ball. He just needs to keep out of foul trouble.
    Question is: can we get deep into the playoffs with that tandom? I think we can. We just need to be lightin' up from the arc, otherwise, we can't even beat Indiana. If we're hittin' the 3s with consistency, we can take down SA and GSW in a 6 or 7 game series.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Its fustraring because you know he's relying on stats to justify not having to make a move (then again some of his best have been to do nothing) but I dont see how NOT getting another athletic big would help in this situation. We need a legit rebounder! They have improved some on that aspect, but like the Cavs game....If Love had played we would have been screwed.

I honestly believe they are rolling with this group of guys and seeing how far can they go. Then trade and try to sign free agents accordingly. Once again fustrating because year before last we were the W. Conf. Finals.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Last year the bad fit between our athletic big / legit rebounder and everyone else destroyed that conference finals team and produced arguably the most unwatchable Rockets season ever. So yeah, I can think of a scenario in which it wouldn't help.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We are short of another big man, and another wing. If Nene gets in foul trouble, or when he gets tired, we will struggle a lot, because Capela is not providing us any defense. Ryan might have to move to the 5, as a last resort, despite his weaknesses. This will affect our spacing, shooting. If we can't defend well, our 3 point shooting percentage is likely to go down, EG needs to get going big time. Harden can't carry the entire weight of the offense. Lou is up and down right now too.

#53 saleem, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Nene plays big and is very experienced. Clint is still developing and his frame is too thin to play C. Harrez is a good finisher and hustles, but the kid lacks defense and rebounding. I am not sure Harrez will ever be there defensively. If he is not improving in that department, his fate in NBA will fare no better than Carl Landry.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't even think we'd make the playoffs this year so you're not going to hear me complaining about this or really anything else. Sit back and enjoy this ride - because it's awesome.

p.s. Literally every team in the league has a hole somewhere. Even the Warriors, as we're seeing right now with Durant out.

ajc123, Ramo$e and Killatron 2000 like this.
  16. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

I hope I'm wrong, but Capela has not and appears that he will not be the center we were hoping for. It looks like he's one dimensional. He's good for the alley-oop most of the time and an occasional block.
    Nene is smart. Good veteran. Just hope he has the legs for an extended playoff run.

Our center position nearly always gives us 20+ pts per game and 10+ boards. We've got two different centers in tandem. Can that work in the playoffs? Hope so.

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Cmon deb get your head in the game

18. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I am willing to roll with the team that has gotten us this far this late into the season (3rd best record). Nene will have increased role in the play-offs. Let those other play-off teams worry about the Rockets. In the off-season, I expect Maori to look back on the play-offs, and address any apparent weaknesses (even after we win the title).

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Huh? Capela is developing and still is turning into the center the Rockets are wanting him to be and that's a pick and roll center that can play defense. not sure where the has not/hoping for is coming from unless you're expectations were just unrealistic for a first time 22 year old starting center. If it wasn't for the injury earlier in the season that sidelined him for weeks, i'd say he's had an pretty positive progression even becoming a better FT shooter which is more than you can say about guys like "all star" deandre jordan

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahahaha

Pen15clubber likes this.